Looking for a couple detectors

Sheepdog

I'm looking to purchase detectors for myself and my son with the hopes that my wife may use one occasionally. I've pretty much settled on the AtPro for myself. It seems most of the others I look at are always compared to it. Plus if I decide to upgrade later they seem to be pretty easy to get decent money back out of.

For my son/wife I'm leaning towards a Fisher F2. Looks like it has enough features to be useful but not overly complicated. I know that the F22 is weatherproof and newer "technology ", but I like the display on the F2 better.

These will be primarily used on a farm I own and while camping. I've spent the last two weeks reading reviews and watching videos trying to decide. Lots of really good choices out there. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger and would appreciate any advice on these units or ones that you think would be a better choice. Thanks.

Welcome Dog! I can't give any opinion on the fishers but ran an AT Pro for about a year and found a bunch of stuff with it. It is relatively easy to learn and will reach pretty deep depending on your soil.

I'm looking to purchase detectors for myself and my son with the hopes that my wife may use one occasionally. I've pretty much settled on the AtPro for myself. It seems most of the others I look at are always compared to it. Plus if I decide to upgrade later they seem to be pretty easy to get decent money back out of.

For my son/wife I'm leaning towards a Fisher F2. Looks like it has enough features to be useful but not overly complicated. I know that the F22 is weatherproof and newer "technology ", but I like the display on the F2 better.

These will be primarily used on a farm I own and while camping. I've spent the last two weeks reading reviews and watching videos trying to decide. Lots of really good choices out there. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger and would appreciate any advice on these units or ones that you think would be a better choice. Thanks.

Look at the eurotek pro also,I think it's better than the f2...more features

Many use and love the Pro, if you plan on spending any time around the water especially since it is waterproof but it is very capable on land too of course.

I am a big Fisher guy, if you want another option a special version of the top of the line F75, the anniversary edition, is still on sale at about half price for a bit longer and there is no bigger fan of the F2 than me.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=53930

Woodbutcher that eurotec pro looks very good. I'll have to research that a little closer. Might be a good fit.

Digger I have looked and looked at that F75. It looks like an awesome detector. If you know how to use it. I'm concerned that I might be starting off with something that needs a bit more experienced user. Plus out camping I'm sure I will have others wanting to borrow my detectors. I'm not sure it has an "easy"mode I can set it on and let them loose with it. All that being said it's still on my short list. I've also considered the Racer2.

Digger that is a heck of a thread on the F2! That one will take awhile to go through. Thanks for the link.

Woodbutcher that eurotec pro looks very good. I'll have to research that a little closer. Might be a good fit.

Digger I have looked and looked at that F75. It looks like an awesome detector. If you know how to use it. I'm concerned that I might be starting off with something that needs a bit more experienced user. Plus out camping I'm sure I will have others wanting to borrow my detectors. I'm not sure it has an "easy"mode I can set it on and let them loose with it. All that being said it's still on my short list. I've also considered the Racer2.

There is a learning curve with any detector, even those with years of experience understand picking up a new model or brand it can take many hours to come close to getting really good with it, really understand target behavior and take advantage of all the features, settings and possible setting combinations.

On the other hand all detectors have excellent factory start up settings, pretty much take out of the box, assemble, install batteries and then turn on and go.
The F75 is no different.
Factory settings are great and can find you most everything we look for in most normal sites and situations once you get just a little experience, the million or so other setting combos and programs available really come into play when you hunt the more difficult sites like heavy iron, heavy mineralized soil and so on.
Learn to tweak off of factory settings in those situations and you can do even better than at factory levels.

In the past many have tried the top end Fishers, the F70 and F75, and even though many loved them many others could never get a handle on the jumpy and chatty nature of these models because they are what we call high gain units...some of the deepest on the planet but because of that extreme power and sensitivity a lot more noisy and less stable than others due to normal problems we might encounter like EMI, Electromagnetic Interference.

These newest models including this anniversary unit has a newer feature called DST, (Digital Shield Technology), that solves most of those problems and made them much more quiet and stable.
Now you don't need the patience of a saint to get used to them, pretty much a turn on and go unit now but all those extra settings, adjustments and programs are still there to be utilized as you grow into it and move along the learning curve and process.
My opinion anyway, I hunt with an F70 without that DST but we do have a social group here I started for us F70 owners...

http://metaldetectingforum.com/group.php?groupid=238

...and there are a few members that run with this new F75 in there too and from what they have posted this new generation of F75's seems pretty amazing and much easier to understand, the anniversary edition model that is advertised at $599 but most dealer's are selling for a real world $500 if you call them is like half price off the fully loaded top of the line all in units that do have a couple more features but usually the new anniversary model owners don't seem to be missing much for the most part.

We all have our favorites here, there are brands that some use that consider them the best ever that others never get to love or enjoy using, such is the nature of people regarding almost everything...cars, golf clubs, fishing rods, whatever.
I just happen to enjoy the entire Fisher line because of my very positive experience with a couple of their models.
No matter what you end up just learn it well, have fun doing it and you will enjoy this hobby more than you might think possible right now.

Here is a video of a guy named Keith Southern testing out that new $500 F75 model.
He is one if the more technological hunters out there, has years of experience hunting with several brands, models and modding and repair.
For some reason he had this thing turned way up throughout this vid, higher than needed, and it is way more chatty than most others would set it and can be silent so ignore all that and just pay attention to what he says about it.

My first MD was an F2 and I did good with it. I upgraded to an AT Pro, only because I got a great deal on it. I don't see anything wrong with the F2 but you could also get the kids something in the Ace series, 250, 350, 400, what ever is in your price range. Then when you upgrade from the AT Pro the person using the Ace would have an easy transition if they started using the AT Pro. Just a thought

You are putting the right kind of thought into this Sheepdog! I have an F70 and an AtPro...For lots of reasons...they seem to be Brothers of different Mothers..they eat the same batteries, they are both VERY good at what they do....sometimes a 'team' decision boils down into the little things...even something as simple as the batteries...I hate 9v's...

So you start out with a balanced similar pair that have a great heritage, in field performance results, hold a resale value, have aftermarket accessories aplenty, great and loyal users that freely share advice on the Forums, etc...
Mud

DIGGER27 you are definitely moving me towards the F75. I was figuring the AtPro was a safe bet. Easy to learn settings and a very popular detector that would be easy to find advice if needed. I talked myself out of the F75 because I thought it might be more complicated than I was wanting. Now I'm thinking it's a hobby so I can enjoy the outdoors and maybe find some treasures. I don't have to "master" the detector the first day, week, or month. It gives me something to grow into. Plus it has some features that I really like that the AtPro doesn't have. Thank you for your input.

Flyin-lowe I actually began this search looking at the Ace 400. As you can tell I didn't realize the amount of different detectors and features available. My last use was one my Dad has that is severely outdated. I'm not even sure it's hobby grade. I like the features of the 400 but for similar money I think there are detectors with more features than the 300 or 200.

Mud-puppy I was actually trying to get two different brands so I could compare which company I prefer. Now I'm looking at the F2 and F75. So that plan isn't working out for me. I hear you on the 9 volts. The F2 uses them and I know it's a small detail but I would rather use a different battery platform. Decisions, decisions, decisions....

DIGGER27 you are definitely moving me towards the F75. I was figuring the AtPro was a safe bet. Easy to learn settings and a very popular detector that would be easy to find advice if needed. I talked myself out of the F75 because I thought it might be more complicated than I was wanting. Now I'm thinking it's a hobby so I can enjoy the outdoors and maybe find some treasures. I don't have to "master" the detector the first day, week, or month. It gives me something to grow into. Plus it has some features that I really like that the AtPro doesn't have. Thank you for your input.

Flyin-lowe I actually began this search looking at the Ace 400. As you can tell I didn't realize the amount of different detectors and features available. My last use was one my Dad has that is severely outdated. I'm not even sure it's hobby grade. I like the features of the 400 but for similar money I think there are detectors with more features than the 300 or 200.

Mud-puppy I was actually trying to get two different brands so I could compare which company I prefer. Now I'm looking at the F2 and F75. So that plan isn't working out for me. I hear you on the 9 volts. The F2 uses them and I know it's a small detail but I would rather use a different battery platform. Decisions, decisions, decisions....

F22 uses 2AA batteries. F75 uses 4AA batteries. F2 is a discontinued model.

Let me know if you want a packaged deal. I'm an Authorized Platinum Fisher Dealer.

Also, F75 has a free 15" coil and recharge AA battery kit factory bundle until Friday.

Hey Dog,

I've got a pair of detectors (oh, and I'm a Newbie) ! But I couldn't be happier with my choices !

Yep, I started with the AT Pro, which is fantastic, and recently added that anniversary Fisher F75. If you can handle the Pro, you can handle the F75.

Best of both worlds ! I use the Pro when it's rainy, or when I go to the coast. Otherwise, it's the F75. Yep, different machines, different tones, different numbers, but you'll get it !

Oh, and listen to that Mud & Digger ! They will steer you straight :digginahole:

F22 uses 2AA batteries. F75 uses 4AA batteries. F2 is a discontinued model.

Let me know if you want a packaged deal. I'm an Authorized Platinum Fisher Dealer.

Also, F75 has a free 15" coil and recharge AA battery kit factory bundle until Friday.

Even though the F2 is discontinued it seems that it's a pretty deep machine for a beginner. I like the display and layout better than the F22. The weatherproof may come in handy, but I don't really see my wife or son detecting in the rain. Especially the wife! I would rather run AA than 9volts though. I'll have to research the F22 a bit more. Thanks.

Hey Dog,

I've got a pair of detectors (oh, and I'm a Newbie) ! But I couldn't be happier with my choices !

Yep, I started with the AT Pro, which is fantastic, and recently added that anniversary Fisher F75. If you can handle the Pro, you can handle the F75.

Best of both worlds ! I use the Pro when it's rainy, or when I go to the coast. Otherwise, it's the F75. Yep, different machines, different tones, different numbers, but you'll get it !

Oh, and listen to that Mud & Digger ! They will steer you straight :digginahole:

I think Digger has steered me to the F75! Not a bad thing though. I think what you have would make a perfect combo. If my budget was a little higher I would go that route. I started out looking for one and then decided two would work better for family time together. My oldest son has always been advanced in school so I'm trying to get him one that will keep his interest. I was explaining mercury dimes and such to him and he told me he already knew. I asked him how and he said he was researching it. Smart kid. Takes after his mother!

I'm a die-hard Fisher fan and started with the F2. It's tough to go wrong with a Fisher or really, any First Texas product, IMO.

F75 is a beast.

I started with the F2. Great starter detector for the money. The two 9v batteries last a long time. When they were run down to about 2/3 empty I would switch them out with new ones, and then use the old ones in our pinpointers. The F2 found me some great items and paid for itself very quickly. :)

Thanks to DetectingMO for a great deal on a F22 and F75 along with some other goodies. My son is excited to get started finding treasures. He just came home from school with Student of the Quarter Award. I think I found the perfect award for that. Thanks to everyone that gave advise.

Back
Top Bottom