Military Silver, A Big Silver Coin, And F Troop

I like the fresh-reveal shot of the walker half in-the-field. Let's face it: Our finds wouldn't be half-as-fun , if they came out of the ground candy-apple clean and nice. Right ? :laughing:
Haha, I agree! Although they are nice when they come out clean too.
Nice finds! Too bad we can't figure out what the former wearer was an Expert in.....
Thanks
Very nice finds. Congrats.
Thanks
Loosing stuff .
:laughing:
You’re STILL running that dinosaur turd machine?? I’ll bet if you had an Equinox you’d have TRIPLE the silver and it would be three times better too! You snooze you lose, I don’t know what else to say....;)
You know it. Just for the record the day I found the Walker I found 4 pieces of silver and 4 wheaties from a super pounded area and my buddy using his nox found 1 wheat.
Great assortment! The Expert hanging tab may still be around there somewhere too.
I thought that and looked for it but no luck. Thanks
Dang a badge like that, a Walker and a nice green marble and a Merc!!! Awesome finds Jam. Bucketlister on the medal and Walker! Congrats!
Thanks buddy!
Very nice finds....
Actually, the silver military item you found is not a "Marksman" item, but an "Expert".
There were three possible grades of pin you could get according to how well you did on the rifle range during basic training in the Army.
The three grades were "Marksman", the lowest grade, then "Sharpshooter", and finally "Expert". The three pins were similar in design but with a small difference for each grade. The Marksman pin was just the cross, the Sharpshooter was the cross with the bullseye, and the expert, which you have, has the cross, the bullseye and the wreath. The loops on the bottom of the pin were for an attachment to hang on it which had the name of the weapon you won the pin with.
On the range you were given 90 shots at targets ranging from 25 yards up to 100 yards. You needed a minimum of 30 to be a Marksman, 45 to be a Sharpshooter, and 60 to be an expert.
I remember this because when I was taking basic training in the army at Fort Dix, New Jersey in 1965 I was a "Sharpshooter" and the hanger on my pin said "M-14"
A few years ago I dug a "Marksman" pin.
Thanks for the info. Do you still have yours?
It is a "Marksmanship qualification badge".

Expert
Sharpshooter
Marksman

The one pictured is tge Expert Marksmanship badge.
Thanks

Very nice variety of finds !!! I always enjoy your posts. I would really like to have another Etrac but I just can't swing it with my RA. Looking forward to your next post.

At one time I had 3 tabs; Rifle, Pistol and Grenade. These qualifications had to be earned yearly, so upon retirement I only had the Expert Rifle Marksmanship badge.....

Attachments

• IMG_1876.jpg
    IMG_1876.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 161
Very nice variety of finds !!! I always enjoy your posts. I would really like to have another Etrac but I just can't swing it with my RA. Looking forward to your next post.
Thanks and glad you enjoy the posts. Sorry about your RA.
At one time I had 3 tabs; Rifle, Pistol and Grenade. These qualifications had to be earned yearly, so upon retirement I only had the Expert Rifle Marksmanship badge.....

That's interesting you had to earn them each year. Do you still have your badge?

Yes, the badge in the picture I attached is on my old Dress Blues. I have no clue what I did with my old Pistol and Grenade tabs. The one shown is the newer No-Shine type, which I don't think is silver, like my father's old ones.

Back
Top Bottom