New Beach Toys!

Diggum

Elite Member
I finally flipped for a legitimate beach scoop! I also picked up the mask, because it has a GoPro camera mount built in and only cost $10, shipped! You can't beat that with a stick! Both of these beauties should make my beach and water detecting a more pleasurable experience!

For traveling with my scoop, I plan to buy a painter's fiberglass extension pole. Hoping that the 2'-4' model works, because I don't think anyone makes a 3'-6' model. Should be fun! :yes:

Attachments

• 20170106_163749.jpg
    20170106_163749.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 698
I have a friend who has that scoop minus the extra adapter in the front for the hand hold. I borrowed it once and it's a very nice light scoop.

Nice mask and scoop. I am still mulling over a GoPro. I don't see a snorkel which you will probably need. IF you are going to use a mask in shallow water, learn to fan and forget the scoop. Too much stuff to carry.

If you would like any tips, please look at my website. http://www.scubadetector.com

BE SAFE. That is all I ask. Do NOT trust the water and DON'T try to save your equipment first if you get in trouble. DITCH the JUNK.

cool... unfortunately the scoop manufacturer has no skill except to copy others.
good luck with your next hunt

It's a metal basket, not some complex piece of intellectual property. Get over it.

It's a metal basket, not some complex piece of intellectual property. Get over it.

tell that to the original designer who likely spent years and big cash testing and perfecting a product only to have some az hat come along and steal it...... but your right... just a metal basket...
Same guy is also copying another design from a U.S. seller now too. Make sure to c.c him too that it's just a metal basket

tell that to the original designer who likely spent years and big cash testing and perfecting a product only to have some az hat come along and steal it...... but your right... just a metal basket...
Same guy is also copying another design from a U.S. seller now too. Make sure to c.c him too that it's just a metal basket

The lesson over the last eight years is that what's your' is mine and whats mine is certainly not your's. It's the new form of fair. It's perfectly ok to copy as long as you knock the original manufacturer while ripping them off. NOT...

Great idea on the scuba mask.

:laughing:

If I went into my garage and created a basket of similar dimensions for the same purpose, would that be stealing? If one person creates a metal scoop with perforations and a handle, designed for sifting sand, do they own the rights to any similar design, and any other maker is then guilty of theft? Is your problem that he made something similar or that he is selling it?

It's not patented, it doesn't have a trademark, and it doesn't have wide brand recognition. This "thief" isn't marketing his device as that of another designer. As far as I know, he doesn't even draw comparisons between the two. It is a generic device for shifting sand. Can you think of any other products that are similar or the exact same that are made by various different manufacturers? There are endless examples?

We still have a free market and a free market allows for fair competition. Competition is good. It's sort of silly to sit here and bemoan someone for making a sand scoop and "stealing" from the "original" designer, on a forum full of people that

FIND OTHER PEOPLE'S VALUABLES AND KEEP THEM FOR THEMSELVES, AND THEN BRAG ABOUT IT TO EVERYONE ELSE.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Your sense of moral outrage is wildly misplaced, Steve.

The lesson over the last eight years is that what's your' is mine and whats mine is certainly not your's. It's the new form of fair. It's perfectly ok to copy as long as you knock the original manufacturer while ripping them off. NOT...

Great idea on the scuba mask.

Are you rushing to give back all the things you've found while metal detecting? You know these things belonged to other people, right?

there is morally right and wrong.
return a 100 year old coin or ring... where I live a return just isn't possible. I can't, and don't want, to speak for others but I do see return threads.
how you can compare finding an unknown ring in the ocean to stealing some guy's design is beyond me.. and then calling it a free market.. or it's not patent protected..
suggest going to that sellers store and you will see every scoop is a rip off (not patent protected ) from another seller.

Last edited:
Even if the 'Original' item in question is patented (which I don't believe it is), all someone who wants to manufacture a competing product needs to do on a reverse-engineer is make 3 changes to the original in their new products design. Looking at the example, the pole attachment is solid, not in the original. The attachment of the pole to the holder is done differently. The originals angled metal on the top front edge of the scoop that the handle attachment is welded to, isn't angled on the one in the picture. Those three changes = a new product in the eyes of the U.S. Patent Office.
It's the same $12 worth of metal, still took someone an hour or two to make, but the new competition is selling their product for between 1/3 and 1/4 the price of the original. This is how a free market economy works.

Even if the 'Original' item in question is patented (which I don't believe it is), all someone who wants to manufacture a competing product needs to do on a reverse-engineer is make 3 changes to the original in their new products design. Looking at the example, the pole attachment is solid, not in the original. The attachment of the pole to the holder is done differently. The originals angled metal on the top front edge of the scoop that the handle attachment is welded to, isn't angled on the one in the picture. Those three changes = a new product in the eyes of the U.S. Patent Office.
It's the same $12 worth of metal, still took someone an hour or two to make, but the new competition is selling their product for between 1/3 and 1/4 the price of the original. This is how a free market economy works.

Last edited:
Looks like a Stavr knock off to me.

I almost bought a knock off but the thought of it breaking on a hunt or having to be sent back, just doesn't appeal to me. For the extra money, I'd rather buy from Chuck and know that if it breaks, he'll stand behind it.

At the end of the day, competition is good for the market.
Does anyone remember when plasma TV's cost $10,000? As more competitors came to market with more efficient means of production, the prices came down, there were more options and the buyer benefited.

Take a look at SJ cameras. (Go pro competitor) They make a great product that's VERY similar to the gopro, for less than half the price. It looks a lot like a go pro, works as well at a fraction of the cost. Is that a bad thing too?

Looks like a Stavr knock off to me.

I almost bought a knock off but the thought of it breaking on a hunt or having to be sent back, just doesn't appeal to me. For the extra money, I'd rather buy from Chuck and know that if it breaks, he'll stand behind it.

At the end of the day, competition is good for the market.
Does anyone remember when plasma TV's cost $10,000? As more competitors came to market with more efficient means of production, the prices came down, there were more options and the buyer benefited.

Take a look at SJ cameras. (Go pro competitor) They make a great product that's VERY similar to the gopro, for less than half the price. It looks a lot like a go pro, works as well at a fraction of the cost. Is that a bad thing too?

Still waiting for this to show itself in the underwater detector department. Detectors are WAY overpriced considering the electronics and parts they entail. REGARDLESS of whether they can pay for themselves in one hunt is besides the point. Nothing has changed and they just get more expensive.

Still waiting for this to show itself in the underwater detector department. Detectors are WAY overpriced considering the electronics and parts they entail. REGARDLESS of whether they can pay for themselves in one hunt is besides the point. Nothing has changed and they just get more expensive.

You think only detectors are way overpriced. I have some BAD news. Most ALL companies price their products on what they think they can get for them NOT what they actually cost plus a little mark up.

Look at the cost of a new basic pickup truck. Look at things on E-bay from China. For example. You can get a cheap gold scale from China for less than 8.00 INCLUDING shipping. If you go to a local store like Walmart and find the EXACT same one, it sells for 30.00.

Pricing on anything now is get what you can and forget being the good guy.

I don't know who made his scoop and I really don't care. If there is not a name on it and it isn't copyrighted no big deal.

Has anyone here had a problem they needed solved and solved it on their own with a make shift tool? Any chance that the tool you made was thought of before and copyrighted but you didn't know it?

If he is using a mask and snorkel that scoop will be almost useless anyway. Let the OP learn and have fun with his equipment. I am positive if he bought the scoop from somewhere he had no idea it might have been copyrighted. I sure wouldn't. I look for the lowest price or best built.

Back
Top Bottom