• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Mystery objects

thebmasur

Hey guys! Just found these at an 1800s hotel site and I have no clue what they are. Really curious if any of you can shed some light on what they may be. The two items on the right are fairly thin and have spikes at the bottom, along with a raised flange in the circle. The item on the left is fairly thick and is made of copper.
9695331137d23c0c2f46f1b8c8321f2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its probably just me, but I call that kinda stuff 'garbage'

Hahahah it very well could be, but I'm quite new to detecting so I'm very curious about whatever I find even if it might be garbage. The thing on the left is pretty neat and well made though! I do agree the other two may be not of interest.

Welcome to the forum from Wisconsin!

You are spot on to keep everything until you know that it is indeed trash.
I would also strongly recommend NEVER throwing away trash "in the field" things are not always as they appear.

I have read stories on this forum about people who threw something away, only to find out later that it was a rare, valuable item:yes:

Welcome to the forum from Wisconsin!

You are spot on to keep everything until you know that it is indeed trash.
I would also strongly recommend NEVER throwing away trash "in the field" things are not always as they appear.

I have read stories on this forum about people who threw something away, only to find out later that it was a rare, valuable item:yes:

Thank you!! I appreciate the hospitality. I totally agree. I've been keeping absolutely everything until I know for sure it's garbage. To me, these aren't garbage because I'm now intrigued as to what they are.

I was hunting an old school when i found what I thought was a piece of trash, it was just a thin piece of metal and I was about to throw it away when I took a closer look at it. It was a stamped side of a toy horse. You never know what you will dig up.

The item on the left sort of reminds me of the female end of a seatbelt clip. Just a wild guess though.

I thought I saw somewhere that someone just about chucked a civil war belt plate...I, being strictly a coin hunter, need to exercise caution when heading for the garbage can because I just about launched an 1863 civil war store token. Look carefully and be VERY sure before launching stuff!
That being said, I agree you most likely have junk. But it needs to be confirmed.

I know I've seen those two parts on the right somewhere. Like latch parts off an old suitcase or briefcase. Something like that. I think the "prongs" that stick out were made to go thru leather or fabric.

I too have been racking my brain about those... I'd contemplated latch from a steamer trunk, but then some sort of light socket crossed my mind too, so...?

I know I've seen those two parts on the right somewhere. Like latch parts off an old suitcase or briefcase. Something like that. I think the "prongs" that stick out were made to go thru leather or fabric.

The middle one looks like the female part of a latch...notice the raised ridges in the center,like a matching male part would've lined up with the notches, then twist-locked into place.

That would make a lot of sense!! The thickness of them would definitely lend themselves to being used on fabric.

Back
Top Bottom