What tools do you actually use/Carry???

smullen

Besides your MD, What tools do you actually use/Carry???

What do you find the most usefull or that you can't live without???

As I said in another post, Currently I use a screwdriver 1st to mark my dig spot, then to kinda poke around in the loose dirt or to loosen some dirt... That or my trusty Gerber Folder...

I'm still really new at this and don't have any fancy digging or sifting tools...

I'm goin on a week long trip soon and hope to be able to get an hour or so each day to swing the MD...

Before I go I'd kinda like to pick up a few things that might be helpful...

Ideally, I like these things to be as Few, Cheap and liteweight as possible... I don't want to look like I'm headed into battle to dig up a few pennies...

Hi Smullen,
I t kind of depends on what and where you are hunting. If you are on a minicured lawn.....I would try to use ONLY a coin popper to retrieve the target.

Relic hunting in the hills where a covered up hole really won't cause a stir, I like to use a full size shovel and hoe.

If you have a pin pointer, (I don't ), take it with you.

Beach and nuggethunting......never done it so I can't help there. Good luck and HH...Aguila :grin:

I agree with aguila it all depends on where your hunting. I personaly use a screwdriver and a long thin hand shovel.One thing I cant live without is my pinpointer. If I didnt have that thing who knows the fire department would probably be makin me fill in my 60 foot hole. :lol: I havent been beach hunting either so I dont know about that but good luck and HH.

Aguila said:
Hi Smullen,
I t kind of depends on what and where you are hunting. If you are on a minicured lawn.....I would try to use ONLY a coin popper to retrieve the target.

Relic hunting in the hills where a covered up hole really won't cause a stir, I like to use a full size shovel and hoe.

If you have a pin pointer, (I don't ), take it with you.

Beach and nuggethunting......never done it so I can't help there.    Good luck and HH...Aguila :grin:

Good points...

I mostly MD in grassy areas, yards fields, etc,,, and I mostly hunt for Coins, rings and the such...

I am so inexperienced that I'm happy to find anything... Cept old beer cans and nails...

On our trip comming up I plan to hit an area where the soil is more of a harder/rocky makeup (South, South Central Missouri) not sure how they even farm that crap... Also, a long stretch of a few gravelly (is that a word) beaches or creek beds...

All that above mentioned is in or around a little town that I know has a bit of history dating back to the 1800s early 1900s... I'd like to think there some stuff besides old rusted nails and bottle caps there waiting to be found, but who knows...

I carry a 5 in 1 paiting tool, which makes perfect plugs and digs great to about 6 inches.
I also carry my pinpointer on one of those retractable key ring things, so thats pretty handy.
Thats all I ever use, I do keep a small shovel handy in case needed, and also a head mounted LED flashlight for night hunting.
At the beach all that is needed is a good sand scoop/sifter.

I carry a fanny pack for trash that i find and a shovel that i cut off the handle to waist high. Its easier to handle then a full size and can be thrown over your sholder and carried easily

Depends,if im on turf then i will carry one of those half round spade things to cut it out ,once ive romoved the piece of turf i use a screwdriver and thats all.if im on a ploughed field only a screwdriver

At the beach, either a short or long handled scoop, depending on circumstances and a beach pouch.

On manicured land, a DX-1 probe, side mounted on the MXT (better weight balance); a Lesche digger; a Sears heavy duty ? long bladed screwdriver; a plastic drop cloth; an old style Whyte's pin pointer (sometimes I use it, or the DX-1, depending on target depth and terrain slope).

In other lands (woods, etc.), the above plus a pick axe with a blade on one side and tines in the other.

A sturdy screwdriver with a 7 in. blade.. . if they've got a Big Lots where you are, you can pick one up for a buck, fifty..a small digging spade ; you'll`want one with a reinforced neck ..an old glove for the hand you're going to be probing in the ground with ; keeps one hand fairly clean and comes in handy when you're extracting a sharp or stinging surprise...light and inexpensive...like you say , don't want to look like you're getting ready for an assault on Everest... Roadrunner_426

Hi guys, i hear the word Pin point all the time,do you mean a special tool by that i mean electronic or so or is it just the normal old prodder.

Regards Maureen..

Ok, I think all the tools have been covered. If you are new, the most important thing is to make those holes dissappear no matter what tool you used. A couple of (new hunters?) are killing us in my area. There're leaving holes and we are paying the price in lost areas to hunt. Good luck, Rob

Am covering in already wouldn't dream of leaving holes open.

I have heard of tools for precise pin pointing once you have a find it is supposed to shorten the search that is what i was talking about.

Maureen.

Hi Maureen, is are some examples of pinpointers. Rob

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 320
I guess a few guys haven't been to the great dry southwest - land of no rain. All tools to dig that are not super heavy weights will bend easily in the concrete like dirt. I use a Lesche digger - best tool I have seen in 26 years digging here. Just that and my detector is all I carry. steve in so az

I know this is a little late. :grin: smullen, My recomendation for South central Missouri is a backhoe. :lol: The rocks are huge and the clay is like concrete. I'll stick to the prairie land. Man I love this soft black dirt. :grin:

If you don't already have headphones, buy a pair; you won't believe the difference they'll make..also saves your batteries and discourages groupies..a good pair of knee pads will make extractions much more enjoyable.. Roadrunner_426

Hi there. Welcome to the bigest bunch of MD geniuses in the world! At the moment I am, also a newbie, so I guess we're still only genies. I hope to soon, due to the advice and experience of all the guys and gals on this forum, also be a genius.
In my limited experience - some of the things I like to carry with me :
1) Brass probes, so as not to damage coins/jewellery (jewelry for you USA people)
2) Brightly coloured golf tees, which I use to mark potential spots which I can dig later.
3) A large, strong magnet for swiping over your sand heaps to pick up "shrapnel", which, believe me, saves a lot of time usually wasted sieving the heaps.
4) An apron with a large pocket in front, or a home-made belt bag for storing all your finds/scrap.
5) Small "bankie" ziplock packets for your better finds. ( I place a piece of masking tape on top of the bag to write any relevant info on).
6) A good size sieve for sifting through soil. I use a "chip fryer" sieve which is rather bulky, but not too heavy.
This is some of the info I can give due to my limited (one week) experience. But you will get plenty more info from the experts on this forum.

ZB - Why wouldn't you dig the target when you get the signal instead of putting a gold tee there for later ? Steve in so az

Hey Steve. If I had gold tees I wouldn't be hunting! What I meant was, I scan the area first with my li'll Yeller Feller and when I get a beep I mark the spot with a GOLF tee and hit the areas later - saves me some time.
Happy Independence Day!

Back
Top Bottom