Tavern token, Barber D, War N, Pile-o-wheat, & stack-o-ONE CENT

Foragist

Forum Supporter
Got permission from one of my down-the-block neighbors on Main Street today. Almost all of the goods came from the front yard.
I dug a total of 28 wheat pennies. The ones with readable dates range from 1917 to '52. Four of the wheats came in a single stack of coins that included 2 Indianhead cents! 1896 + 1902 IH, with 1917, 1919, 192*, and 19** wheats.
Right after digging that stack, the Barber dime showed up. Very rare to find any O mint coins around here, so that is especially special. The war nickel added one more silver, making my new FTY number 26.
Favorite dig of the day is the Richard's Tavern 10 cent trade token. Another long gone business from this town. TokenCatalog.com lists a 5 cent one that sold for $21 on ebay. They say the tavern dates from 1938 to 1952.
Most of the junk was boring stuff, but I did dig a few keys and front sight piece off of a rifle or shotgun.
Freezing temps are starting to freeze the ground in some spots. End of season is coming...

Attachments

• DSCN0757.jpg
    DSCN0757.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 367
  • DSCN0759.jpg
    DSCN0759.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 359
  • DSCN0761.jpg
    DSCN0761.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 360
Great hunt. The only downside to finding stacks of cents is that for some reason they are more corroded with that green stuff. Congrats.

Nice group of finds....Congrats
Thank you! I do love a nice group of finds!
Great finds man! I always like tokens, far more scarce than certain coins that people value much more...
Thanks. For me the value of the old time tokens sinks in over time, and I tend to value them more later. Digging silver gives me the gratification bang right away! Years later, most of them are just another silver coin in my collection, but the unique tokens stand out!
Very great day you had! Congrats.

Steve
"Very great day" sounds about right! Thanks.

Great hunt. The only downside to finding stacks of cents is that for some reason they are more corroded with that green stuff. Congrats.
Thanks Doug. The stack made me wonder if they were the remaining 6 pennies in a paper roll when they were lost. I get way too much of that green death on my coppers here. Look at the reverse of those Indians. Sickening!

Awesome finds for sure! The frost is slowly becoming an issue here as well. Congrats on a great hunt!
Thanks! Good thing about the cold is...ice fishing! I'm going for first ice tomorrow. See if I can get these awesome finds, my 2 deer, and a bucket o' fish all in a week's time.

Attachments

• 20211123_162921.jpg
    20211123_162921.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 304
Very nice group of finds, congrats on the Barber, Ihps, war nickel, a very cool token and wheats. Couldn't ask for much more. Good job. When I see hanging deer I think jerky and sausage. Good luck, Mark

Very nice group of finds, congrats on the Barber, Ihps, war nickel, a very cool token and wheats. Couldn't ask for much more. Good job. When I see hanging deer I think jerky and sausage. Good luck, Mark

Thanks Mark. I made a bunch of jerky with a buck I got in October. Will be doing some kind of sausage this time, along with other options. Got a few panfish today too. Good times!

Wow! That's an awesome hunt! Still waiting for a loaded permission. Last one had 4 lincoln memeorials and 1 wheat - but at least it was an oldie, 1910.

I too am waiting for the ground to freeze. It's getting COLD out! But when it's going to hit the 40's during the day, I can't help but get out for a while. lol

Now that's a great hunt

The token is sweet.. Those are my favorite finds. A lot of nice oldies in that pile with silver.. Your woods should stay thawed for at least another month. We had our first snow today.Looking to get out there all this week with my week off.

Wow! That's an awesome hunt! Still waiting for a loaded permission. Last one had 4 lincoln memeorials and 1 wheat - but at least it was an oldie, 1910.
I too am waiting for the ground to freeze. It's getting COLD out! But when it's going to hit the 40's during the day, I can't help but get out for a while. lol
Some yards don't have much, and may have been thoroughly detected before, but the next one might be loaded. Good luck on the next one!

Great collection of finds Foragist :thumbsup:
Thanks Baja!

Congratulations on an amazing hunt! LOVE the token.
Thanks Toitlefoot! ;) I have dug a few things with the town name Cornell on them. Always happy to see that, and hope to dig more!

The token is sweet.. Those are my favorite finds. A lot of nice oldies in that pile with silver.. Your woods should stay thawed for at least another month. We had our first snow today.Looking to get out there all this week with my week off.
Thank you! Good luck with your late season hunting. I hope to get in a little more detecting yet. Don't have very many wooded areas I think are good for detecting, but maybe I can find some.

The token's date range may not be too terribly old, but I'd rather find a trade token than a coin any day. Good job !

Great day! That's a good bunch of digs! I don't dig too many tokens-( except for the chuck e- cheese type). Always cool when one comes to the light.

The token's date range may not be too terribly old, but I'd rather find a trade token than a coin any day. Good job !
Thanks Tom. Me too, but would I rather dig a duplicate of this trade token, or a $5 gold coin? Somewhere inbetween there is a limit on what I'd rather dig. :yes:

Great day! That's a good bunch of digs! I don't dig too many tokens-( except for the chuck e- cheese type). Always cool when one comes to the light.
Thanks, yes! Always cool. Of course, some of those gold rush digs you bring to the light are as good or better than any trade token.

Indeed good finds. I also really like the token! It is in good shape.
Thanks Gimmie! I can even read the fine print token maker's mark; Schaaf, MPLS, on both sides.

Back
Top Bottom