1787 Fugio Cent

Awesome save. Congrats on your new oldest coin D4C. I hope you plan to hit that place again. Till I started in the hobby I didn't know large cents existed. I have only found 6 and like the one you just found they showed up unexpectedly. You guys do have some really great old ground to hunt. Good luck, Mark

Wow way cool find D4C! Maybe it was brought in with fill? I’ve dug mid-1800’s coins in ballfields, only a few inches deep, these ballfields established in the early 1970’s. They get tilled about every decade and sometimes fill is brought in.

Huge congrats! that is one of those coins the majority will just never find.

Awesome save. Congrats on your new oldest coin D4C. I hope you plan to hit that place again. Till I started in the hobby I didn't know large cents existed. I have only found 6 and like the one you just found they showed up unexpectedly. You guys do have some really great old ground to hunt. Good luck, Mark

Thanks Mark.....we definitely plan to go back there on our next hunt. I certainly don't expect to find another Colonial coin but something silver is possible.

Wow way cool find D4C! Maybe it was brought in with fill? I’ve dug mid-1800’s coins in ballfields, only a few inches deep, these ballfields established in the early 1970’s. They get tilled about every decade and sometimes fill is brought in.

Thanks AMC.....The town that this coin was found in was originally settled in 1669, over one hundred years BEFORE the coin was minted. There were people losing things both before and after the coin was minted so those facts lend credence to the idea that it wasn't put there from "fill dirt". Additionally, it was seven inches deep which most likely indicates that it was in the ground there for quite a while. Many places like playgrounds, sport fields, and parks were at one time nothing more than farmland worked by people who lost things there.

Very exciting, Ed. Most of us will never dig a Fugio cent, especially Tom_in_CA :p

And, unlike Tom, most of us will never dig a gold coin. Like he says, “location, location, location”.

I once dug a 1600’s British half cent in the center field turf of a playground’s baseball field, so ya just never know what was on a given spot 250 years ago or longer. Congrats on what must be a bucket-lister!

Very exciting, Ed. Most of us will never dig a Fugio cent, especially Tom_in_CA :p

And, unlike Tom, most of us will never dig a gold coin. Like he says, “location, location, location”.

I once dug a 1600’s British half cent in the center field turf of a playground’s baseball field, so ya just never know what was on a given spot 250 years ago or longer. Congrats on what must be a bucket-lister!

Thanks Jim.....Finding a Colonial coin of any kind was definitely on my bucket list so now I can cross it off and hopefully find some of the other coins still on the list.
I'm fortunate that I have found a Fugio Cent AND a gold coin so I guess I've got Tom beat. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom