Best low cost detector for beginners

Rsgatpro

My parents came to visit a few weeks back and l took my dad on a hunt and he loved it! Now my mom would like to get him a detector for christmas. So my question is what would you recommend for a low cost entry level detector. I use an at pro. Which is out of their price range. Thanks for the input in advance.

Tesoro Compadre or Silver uMax would be two to consider. Inexpensive, very simple to use yet very well built machines that work!

How about a used mid level detector? With so many new detectors coming out lately it's a buyers market right now on used gear. Even without warranty if you run into an issue most companies are very reasonable on repairs. Sent my out of warranty ATpro in recently and got back a basically brand new detector for $65.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with an ACE 350. It was capable and fun to use. My 10 year old uses it now. Just need to instil some patience in him!

The Harbor Freight 9 Function detector, while not a high-end machine, is made well and very affordable (under $50). Also, it's easy & fun to use. :grin: (I would not recommend the 6 function, as, on this one, ground balance has to be adjusted manually every few feet.)

Check the classifieds on various forums. Dealers sometimes list really good deals on used ones. I would stick to dealers only in your case. A quick phone call will give you all the info you want and in case of a problem any dealer will make good.

The Harbor Freight 9 Function detector, while not a high-end machine, is made well and very affordable (under $50). Also, it's easy & fun to use. :grin: (I would not recommend the 6 function, as, on this one, ground balance has to be adjusted manually every few feet.)

+1 on the Harbor Freight 9 Function. It also has a pinpoint button & volume adjust as well as a headphone jack. It runs on 6 Double A's (AA) and detects coins at around 7''-8'' deep.

My brother (Torpedo) uses a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (aka Tracker IV) which is also a great detector (under $100). It runs on 2 9-volts and detects coins at about 8'' as well. Also has a headphone jack.

Find a used ACE 250. I've seen them for less than $100 used. I got back into detecting with one of these, swung it for several years and it paid for itself with jewelry and clad finds quick. It's also easy learning the AT series after learning the 250 if they ever want to upgrade. My kids fight over who gets to hunt with it now so I'm not getting rid of mine. HH! :grin:

Find a used ACE 250. I've seen them for less than $100 used. I got back into detecting with one of these, swung it for several years and it paid for itself with jewelry and clad finds quick. It's also easy learning the AT series after learning the 250 if they ever want to upgrade. My kids fight over who gets to hunt with it now so I'm not getting rid of mine. HH! :grin:

Right on.. The Ace 250 is awesome..

If you live near a Hobby Lobby you can use the 40% coupon to get a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV for around $70.

If you live near a Hobby Lobby you can use the 40% coupon to get a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV for around $70.

The above poster has a good idea if it needs to be within a tight budget.

....and the Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon can be printed from their web site, but don't print it too soon before going to buy it as it's only good for so many days after the date it is printed.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Kids-Crafts-Activities/Science-Educational/Tracker-IV-Metal-Detector/p/27250

hobbylobbytk4.jpg

The BH Tracker IV is a really good budget level detector, a great deal for the low price, I found a good video someone made to help those who are new to the Tracker IV -

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Review Demonstration and How To Operate

I agree with NuffaloBickel

My parents came to visit a few weeks back and l took my dad on a hunt and he loved it! Now my mom would like to get him a detector for christmas. So my question is what would you recommend for a low cost entry level detector. I use an at pro. Which is out of their price range. Thanks for the input in advance.

I would go with the Garrett ACE 300
dennis

Check out Fort Bedford Detectors online at the link below, they have a few used detectors and I can vouch for them since I bought my used Explorer through them, no complaints.

They have a Minelab 705 (comparable to the AT Pro), great machine to just turn on a go, but as you get more advanced it can do far much more, a great value at the used price they have posted.

check out the link:

http://www.fortbedfordmetaldetectors.com/used-demo-equipment

Back
Top Bottom