Corroded Copper Coin

CJ319

Forum Supporter
Found this coin last week and it's been driving me nuts. It's so corroded that there are no distinguishing marks visible. I've been looking through the threads and have been using a dental pick and brass brush, but that has only gotten me so far. Any ideas on how to get the remaining corrosion off? I do not have access to electrolysis. The coin is the diameter of a penny, so I realize this will probably be all for nothing. But as bank robber 3 in Dirty Hairy would say, "I gots to know!" Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 353
In the 3rd pix it looks like the O in the One Cent Wheat back.

I could tell more running it under my coil.

In the 3rd pix it looks like the O in the One Cent Wheat back.

I could tell more running it under my coil.

I agree.. looks like a wheat and its not a Felix penny.. its worth more than one of those pieces of garbage:)

A Felix penny is a corroded Zinc.

A Felix Penny Public Service Announcement

Our esteemed moderator has let me know about this post so that I may educate you on the “Felix Penny”. He would not have any at home to show you so he has left it up to me as his assistant to inform you. To establish my credentials, I am Felix, the originator and chief authenticator of the “Felix Penny”. Your penny CJ is definitely not one, as the crust is even and shows some green indicating the lovely patina of true copper – something an original “Felix” would never demonstrate. “Felix” pennies began to be minted in 1983. A good cleaning of that penny would indicate a pre-1983 date. So that you may have reference of what a true “Felix” should look like below is a picture of some of my more common examples. Note the cancer-like tumors and unevenness of those true “Felix” pennies. I hope this post serves as a PSA to inform the rest of this forum. Should you have any questions or concerns regarding "Felix" pennies do not hesitate to ask. One common myth that Craig may have started inadvertently, is that bringing "Felix" pennies home and keeping them in the house may be dangerous. This has been proven scientifically to be false. "Felix" pennies are not toxic and are safe in the house and around children and pets.

Attachments

• Felix 1.jpg
    Felix 1.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 330
  • Felix 2.jpg
    Felix 2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
This site is great with a lot of good info.
I'll keep this thread alive though.
Would like to see people to post methods about cleaning it.
I also would love to see what's underneath as well.
Even if it's just a wheatie.

I've kept at with a brass brush and can finally make out the word "one". I've compared the position of the word with wheat and Indian pennies and believe it an Indian. The chase continues.

Back
Top Bottom