The Equinox has half as many segments as a 99 scale. No, it's not that simple.

ToySoldier

Forum Supporter
Over and over I see and hear people say the Equinox has "half as many segments" or is "compressed in half" compared to a Garrett AT series detector or other 1-99 segment machine. It's not that simple just because the number of segments on an Equinox is 50 instead of 99.

What they're overlooking is the fact that the Nox's range is "compressed" in a non-linear way. The 50 segment scale dedicates different amounts of segments to different ranges of conductivity.

LOW CONDUCTORS

The Nox captures the ferrous range in 10 segments whereas a 1-99 machine like the AT Pro uses 4 times as many. I scanned a balled up foil gum wrapper and got a 1 on the Nox. A 1 is 11 segments from the bottom of the scale (-9). If the Nox is 1 segment for every 2 segments compared to the AT Pro, then the AT Pro should read that same ball of foil at 22, right? Nope. It reads it at 39-40!

What's going on here? Relative to the AT series, the Nox has a 1 for 4 "compression" in the iron range. Do you need 40 segments for iron and low foil? I don't. 10 works for me. Maybe some relic hunters need more accuracy.

That leaves 60 segments for non-ferrous on the AT Pro and 40 on the Nox. If the compression was linear within non-ferrous, then that means 1 segment on the Nox for every 1.5 on the AT Pro. Or, 2 for every 3. But, it still isn't that simple.

LOW-MEDIUM CONDUCTORS

How many segments are there between our foil gum wrapper and a regular Jefferson nickel? The AT Pro has around 11 to 13. (52-40=12). Nickels also hit at 11 to 12 segments above that piece of foil on the Nox. (13-1=12) Both machines have about the same number of segments in the conductivity range between foil and nickels.

MEDIUM-HIGH CONDUCTORS

There are approximately 23 segments between a nickel and a fresh zinc penny on the AT Pro. (75-52=23) On the Nox there are only about 8 segments between them. (20-12=8) That's nearly 3 segments on the AT Pro for every 1 on the Nox for items with conductivity between nickels and zinc pennies.

HIGH CONDUCTORS

How many between the zinc penny and a silver quarter? AT Pro = about 13 (88-75=13) Nox = about 12 (32-20) We're back to about the same number of segments for targets with conductivity from zinc pennies to silver quarters.

VERY HIGH CONDUCTORS

When you go above silver quarters the number of segments "compresses" a bit again. 11 segments on the AT Pro (above 88) and 8 on the Nox (above 32).

IMPLICATIONS

Apparently, Minelab thinks there's reason to have more segments (more accuracy) in the foil to nickel range and the copper to silver range, while the range for iron and the range between nickel and zinc are treated as needing less accuracy or detail. The AT Pro and similar detectors have the potential to show a solid 61 compared to a solid 62 or even 63, while the Nox might report all three as a single number. That could matter more to some hunters more than others. But, is it a practical problem? I could buy the argument that the common targets (good and bad) in that range of conductivity are usually irregularly shaped and don't have consistent or unique VDIs anyway. Most people are either going to dig in that range or not using info other than the VDI such as tone, size, depth, location, etc...

IN CONCLUSION

People can disagree over whether Minelab gave a sufficient number of segments where they need them the most. That includes differences in coins by country, time periods, tokens and relics.

What nobody can accurately say is that the scale of a Nox is simply half that of 99 segment machines. Plus, look at what one can do with those 50 segments (40 non-ferrous segments) on a Nox. Up to 50 tones and the option to notch out individual segments rather than only fixed groups of segments. The Nox 800 allows custom pitch and volume of specific segments or groups of segments.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, got me thinkin......now my head hurts! ;)

Good post TS!

Never look at it that way. Good info!

Love the technical data some of y'all provide....lol!

Thanks all. I posted something similar a few months ago, but I think it was lost in the middle of a longer discussion thread. I hope it helps somebody make a purchase decision (one way or the other) if they're unsure what to make of this 50 versus 99 segment comparison that often gets brought up. I think The Equinox and the AT series are both great detectors each with their own strong points.

Excellent, informative post ToySoldier. I’ve always considered the 50 segmented scale a non issue. For me at least. Thanks for taking the time to write an interesting post. Good luck!

...I posted something similar a few months ago, but I think it was lost in the middle of a longer discussion thread....

Sorry I missed this thread when it was originally posted, although I did see and respond to the one that got “buried”. Excellent info as always, TS - great job explaining the Equinox VDI range and dispelling some of the misconceptions created when folks try to oversimplify comparisons with the ranges on other machines.

This comparison is between an AT Pro and an Equinox.... however the conclusions don't hold true for my Fisher F75.

I found this out doing air testing both machines on a foil medicine packet, a nickel, a zine penny and a silver quarter. The F75 showed 23 - 31 - 62 - 84 while my Nox 600 showed 10 - 13 - 20 - 31.

Foil to nickel F75 8 Nox 3

Nickel to Zinc F75 31 Nox 7

Zinc to Silver Qtr F75 22 Nox 11

Above Silver Qtr F75 15 Nox 8

So the Equinox scale is compressed including in the areas we hunt when compared to the Fisher F75. I know the T2 reads totally different and I'm sure White's machines likewise are different scales.

Frankly I was surprised that the AT Pro only had 13 segments between a Zinc and a silver quarter.

This comparison is between an AT Pro and an Equinox.... however the conclusions don't hold true for my Fisher F75.

I found this out doing air testing both machines on a foil medicine packet, a nickel, a zine penny and a silver quarter. The F75 showed 23 - 31 - 62 - 84 while my Nox 600 showed 10 - 13 - 20 - 31.

Foil to nickel F75 8 Nox 3

Nickel to Zinc F75 31 Nox 7

Zinc to Silver Qtr F75 22 Nox 11

Above Silver Qtr F75 15 Nox 8

So the Equinox scale is compressed including in the areas we hunt when compared to the Fisher F75. I know the T2 reads totally different and I'm sure White's machines likewise are different scales.

Frankly I was surprised that the AT Pro only had 13 segments between a Zinc and a silver quarter.

You dig more trash with the Nox compared to the 75. It's just a fact with the compressed number scale.

The nox's scale IS compressed compared with some detectors. Toy Soldiers post was very good when comparing the nox's scale to the AT's when it comes to modern US coins. I sometimes use the xterra 705 and it's scale is even more compressed even though it goes from -8 to 48. It does so in even numbers so there's really only 29 different numbers. The nox and xterra numbers work but not for cherry picking nickels in trashy parks or to I.D. or notch out something specific like .22 brass. I can dig nickels to pull tabs 10-1 using a f75 or X10 because of their expanded scale. With VID's varying for many reasons there is a point when too many becomes moot like the omega's 0 - 99.9 scale. Really, a thousand numbers? For me the compressed numbers usually aren't that big of deal. I use the numbers more to see if the target is jumpy and to decide wether to dig or not. My disk is usually set at zero, just above iron, just above foil, or at zinc. Seldom do I notch. This is why I use different detectors for different hunts/locations.

........The nox and xterra numbers work but not for cherry picking nickels in trashy parks or to I.D. or notch out something specific like .22 brass. I can dig nickels to pull tabs 10-1 using a f75 or X10 because of their expanded scale...........

Anybody having trouble digging nickels with a Nox (especially the 800) needs to spend more time with the machine. Here are three nickel hunts at an old park with literally millions of pull tabs in the same layer as the nickels and ringing around the mid teens and bouncing down to 13. A dozen tabs in every swing and I could dig a random hole and find a few. I had the Nox 800 for less than a few months at this point, but the large screen, custom audio, and some patience made it a nickel machine even in trashy dirt.

Attachments

• IMG_20190402_211324264 copy.jpg
    IMG_20190402_211324264 copy.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 727
  • buffalo hunt 3.jpg
    buffalo hunt 3.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_20190404_215623815.jpg
    IMG_20190404_215623815.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 718
Sorry I missed this thread when it was originally posted, although I did see and respond to the one that got “buried”. Excellent info as always, TS - great job explaining the Equinox VDI range and dispelling some of the misconceptions created when folks try to oversimplify comparisons with the ranges on other machines.

What shouldn't get missed is that the number scale is only one part of the equation, and arguably not a hugely important one unless you stare at the screen all the time.

How good is the machine at hitting at or near a useful conductivity reading on the first swing or two?

What audio features help you hear the difference between two adjacent segments? How useful are more segments if you have to examine every signal because there's no way to hear the difference?

I like the AT Pro. Don't get me wrong. But, the mix of features are a bit of a contradiction. They give you a wide scale, but the numbers are hard to see, there's only three non-adjustable tones, and you can only notch out segments in fixed groups of five. If I'm going to cherry pick specific target numbers out of a park full of mid and high-tone trash, the scale is less important than the first pass accuracy, separation, and audio and notching flexibility.

What shouldn't get missed is that the number scale is only one part of the equation, and arguably not a hugely important one unless you stare at the screen all the time.

How good is the machine at hitting at or near a useful conductivity reading on the first swing or two?

What audio features help you hear the difference between two adjacent segments? How useful are more segments if you have to examine every signal because there's no way to hear the difference?

I like the AT Pro. Don't get me wrong. But, the mix of features are a bit of a contradiction. They give you a wide scale, but the numbers are hard to see, there's only three non-adjustable tones, and you can only notch out segments in fixed groups of five. If I'm going to cherry pick specific target numbers out of a park full of mid and high-tone trash, the scale is less important than the first pass accuracy, separation, and audio and notching flexibility.

The 800 is a good nickel detector. A nickel will have a minute difference of tone reaction compared to a tab. It's one of the nuances that needs to be learned. On the flip side, the F75 is a better nickel detector. With the Nox, numbers jump more than with the 75.

Anybody having trouble digging nickels with a Nox (especially the 800) needs to spend more time with the machine. Here are three nickel hunts at an old park with literally millions of pull tabs in the same layer as the nickels and ringing around the mid teens and bouncing down to 13. A dozen tabs in every swing and I could dig a random hole and find a few. I had the Nox 800 for less than a few months at this point, but the large screen, custom audio, and some patience made it a nickel machine even in trashy dirt.

To dig more nickels you need to dig lots more trash with the Equinox 800. My ratio of trash to 1 nickel was around 20 or more trash targets. And that was only digging number 12 on the ID. There are other detectors that do a lot better on the nickel than the nox.

To dig more nickels you need to dig lots more trash with the Equinox 800. My ratio of trash to 1 nickel was around 20 or more trash targets. And that was only digging number 12 on the ID. There are other detectors that do a lot better on the nickel than the nox.

I stand by what I wrote and the photos. The aluminum trash and beavertail style tabs outnumbered nickels many hundreds to 1 with the tabs at the same depth or above. There would have been even fewer tabs than shown except for the fact that many of them came out of the same hole/plug as a nickel.

I make sure the nickel signals I dig are close to the minimum depth for silver and dig 10-13. My ratio of actual nickels to trash is pretty good. I don't know what program you guys use but Park2 is the best program for nickels if you ask me. Not a great year for me with old nickels so far. 5 buffs, 2 V's. Also even if I dig shallow nickels they are never 13-14 in Park2. If I see a 13-14 I move on unless it's deeper cause I know it's not a nickel.

I make sure the nickel signals I dig are close to the minimum depth for silver and dig 10-13. My ratio of actual nickels to trash is pretty good. I don't know what program you guys use but Park2 is the best program for nickels if you ask me. Not a great year for me with old nickels so far. 5 buffs, 2 V's. Also even if I dig shallow nickels they are never 13-14 in Park2. If I see a 13-14 I move on unless it's deeper cause I know it's not a nickel.

Me too, I see the 14 I move on.

I had an Equinox 800, but I prefer the Vanquish 540 for when I want to use Multi-IQ. I have two of them now to keep the 5X8 and 9X12 both mounted and ready-to-grab.

The V-540 and EQ-800 have essentially the same numeric VDI response. In favorable, clean conditions the US 5¢ piece is typicality a '12' or '13.'

TTo 'cherry pick' I can just use that read-out. But to hunt a site with an assortment of unseen ferrous below or too close to the coin, the VDI read-outs are going to be skewed. I hunted a ghost town a number of years ago with a good friend and spotted a Shield 5¢ on top of the ground. I got a good hit with my detector but just a bit ragged audio. I increased my Disc. level (I was using a Tesoro Bandido II µMAX w/ED-120 Disc. and set at minimum as I always do) just a little to get it somewhere between foil and Nickel and had my friend check it with his detector. It was a little older and the Disc. didn't adjust s low and, even in plain sight, he couldn't get a beep.

So after picking up the 5¢ I then dug under it to find out what was masking the targets. It was a RR spike. So, a few days ago I thought I'd grab a RR spike my cousin found in a neighboring ghost town three years ago. I laid the spike down and positioned a 5¢ piece directly over it with about 1" between them.

I grabbed my V-540 w/5X8 DD and swept across the Spike and 5¢ coin, crosswise, with the center-axis of the coil and got an almost solid 'lock-on' of '15' and, on maybe every 4th or 5th sweep it gave me a ''14'. That was it. Then I turned 90° and swept it 'lengthwise' or "down-the-barrel" with the center of the coil and the VDI was jumpy, with the numeric read-out ranging from '10' to '13' and an occasional '9'. All that on a 5¢ coin I could see, but caused by the unseen ferrous object out-of-sight below it.

Unless I decide to 'cherry-pick' the most likely desirable targets, I only glance at a display to have an idea of what might be down there, but I recover all good non-ferrous hits, regardless of the VDI read-out. It's also because I hunt in a lot of trashy environments.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom