Equinox 800 - Dig Everything if you want rings

Older video but still a great example of an air test for the Nox. He's no dummy. Here in So.Cal the conditions vary greatly from beach to beach. As I have mentioned a few times before , the #s can play evil tricks , even some tones. As a past Nox owner , I know. Some guys I think will never get it. I'm fine with that. As Tony's test shows , you gotta dig it all with the Nox if you want consistent gold. Even watches and phones that will ring up as trash. On the beach , I love seeing Nox hunters !

Wouldn't that advice work on every detector?
Gold rings are mostly mid tones and vdi vary wildly.
Silver rings high tones and higher vdi.
When I go into ring/jewelry mindset I know theres going to be lots of pulltabs and junk because I'll dig anything that make a beep.

So if you ran those same rings over a machine with 0-99 V.I.D. would anything be different. Would they be less spread out or more spread out? Seems like you could multiply Nox numbers by like 2.5 and get real close to what you would with 0-99 machine. I don't quite get the problem with a compressed I.D.. When I use a 0-99 machine I dig just as much trash and I much prefer the Nox over my Nokta Impact that goes from 0-99.

I think I fell into some bad habits with my old machine.

Since it falsed a lot at the beach and was generally poor at ID'ing low tones, I became addicted to the high tones. Sounds and flashing numbers have an addictive element. Anyone that's played video games can attest to this. Then you add in the long-term conditioning of digging all trash at low tones and all coins at high tones.

You can start to see why a lot of detectorists at the beach might go the route of cherrypicking tones, especially the high ones. Probably the majority of most casual detectorists. There are very few that truly dig everything, including the single-digit ID's.

So if you ran those same rings over a machine with 0-99 V.I.D. would anything be different. Would they be less spread out or more spread out? Seems like you could multiply Nox numbers by like 2.5 and get real close to what you would with 0-99 machine. I don't quite get the problem with a compressed I.D.. When I use a 0-99 machine I dig just as much trash and I much prefer the Nox over my Nokta Impact that goes from 0-99.

Good point!

I felt my heart sink at 11:24 and 14:10 when those two amazing rings rang up at 19 and 20.

On those long hunts when your arms are tired and you've already dug 50 crusted zincolns, and you start to not dig those signals...:frustrated:

They were probably pennies, but it makes me sick thinking about some of those targets I didn't dig.

From my 40 years of detecting ,,, you have to dig it all if your after gold rings and it applies to any detector ,,, not just the NOX. Problem is there are different metals mixed in with the gold in rings and it makes them ring up all over the place.

I just do not want newbies thinking that with the NOX you are handicapped and have to dig it all. It applies to every detector i have ever heard of.

From my 40 years of detecting ,,, you have to dig it all if your after gold rings and it applies to any detector ,,, not just the NOX. Problem is there are different metals mixed in with the gold in rings and it makes them ring up all over the place.

I just do not want newbies thinking that with the NOX you are handicapped and have to dig it all. It applies to every detector i have ever heard of.

Very good ! But the point in Tony's video is basically dig it all. As can be attested to the #s. Especially solid numbers no matter what they read. I have pulled gold that read a solid -5 on the beach ! Most will run the disc , but in my opinion is only good for heavy trash areas. Otherwise open it up. Small bits of aluminum
can read 1,2,3,4,5. So do diamond rings. Then comes the tones. You don't HAVE to be handicapped with the Nox , but if you want gold.........

Which is why you don’t need a Nox (or any other discrimination detector) if you are going to dig it all. I think most of us choose which targets we’re going to dig even when we intended to dig it all. I usually start out a ‘dig it all’ then by the time I am really tired I turn into a ‘leave it all’ guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to tell conductive from iron on a beach. That is the only discrimination you need. The problem for most gold is that it registers a low VDI number. Compound that with the conductivity of salt water and the fact that gold sinks you now have a problem with finding them at all.

I still say dig signals reading 6-14 using Nox. Find most gold rings. Dig fewer holes than going after every id number. Equinox will ID gold ring near iron more accurately too. And deeper rings too. There will be exceptions where the smaller weight wise of rings and those monster sized gold rings will ring. But these are exceptions. Just depends on what a person wants to do.

Which is why you don’t need a Nox (or any other discrimination detector) if you are going to dig it all. I think most of us choose which targets we’re going to dig even when we intended to dig it all. I usually start out a ‘dig it all’ then by the time I am really tired I turn into a ‘leave it all’ guy!

Funny, the last part of your post reads like me! I do mask iron though, outside the gold range.

If you are digging all might as well buy a deeptech detector. Just saying..:D

I still say dig signals reading 6-14 using Nox. Find most gold rings. Dig fewer holes than going after every id number. Equinox will ID gold ring near iron more accurately too. And deeper rings too. There will be exceptions where the smaller weight wise of rings and those monster sized gold rings will ring. But these are exceptions. Just depends on what a person wants to do.

I disagree. If your digging 6 to 14 your missing a lot of gold rings. For example every time I get a 17 it’s almost always gold. I have found rings in 1 to 5 that were gold.

I disagree. If your digging 6 to 14 your missing a lot of gold rings. For example every time I get a 17 it’s almost always gold. I have found rings in 1 to 5 that were gold.

Find most, most is keyword.
Just my opinion.
If we went to a site where only men hang out then maybe my theory no good.
But where both men and women or just women my theory better.
Women generally more apt to wear rings (more rings) I think.

I never said a gold ring can’t read below 7 or above 14. Saying so would be silly. One can play the odds though. Equinox ID on gold rings for accuracy above average.

It's been over 5 years since I have found a gold ring. The amount of pull tabs and can slaw that is at the schools and parks in my area is staggering. Every swing has at least one mid tone sound. Some have 4 or five. Sounds like a machine gun. Dug a hole one time and pulled out 4 pull tabs and a screw cap. So no, I'm not going to dig everything. Just remember, metal detecting is supposed to be about the adventure and having fun.

Wouldn't that advice work on every detector?
Gold rings are mostly mid tones and vdi vary wildly.
Silver rings high tones and higher vdi.
When I go into ring/jewelry mindset I know theres going to be lots of pulltabs and junk because I'll dig anything that make a beep.

pretty much good advice for all decent detectors.

Back
Top Bottom