CTX Dead after not more than 12hrs

If you can get it to turn on, maybe a factory reset will fix it.

I know how you feel though, when I bought an Infinium LS it went nuts after a month or so, draining full battery packs in 15 minutes... thankfully got a new unit from Garrett.

Thanks, Xchange2 up and running. The CTX however is not turning on. I don't see how a software issue would prevent the power button from turning on the machine. But if it does come back to life, which it has and very well may again, I'll plug in the USB.

Maybe once Halloween is over the demon inhabiting my CTX will return to the netherworld.

If you can get it to turn on, maybe a factory reset will fix it.

A few times it started up skipping the minelab start up screen and went right into the reset menus. Tried them all. Would not allow me to leave the reset menu.

Thanks, Xchange2 up and running. The CTX however is not turning on. I don't see how a software issue would prevent the power button from turning on the machine. But if it does come back to life, which it has and very well may again, I'll plug in the USB.

Maybe once Halloween is over the demon inhabiting my CTX will return to the netherworld.

Why don't you plug it in to your computer and let it upload the update while you sleep? :yes:

It's sitting on the coffee table in the living room. I unplugged the headphones when I got home. When the headphones are unplugged a CTX uses it's built in speaker.

I hear it from down the hall, power on, throw out some tones, squeal, and by the time I get there it's off like nothing happened. Spooky...:shock:

I think you are being punked!!! :pumpkins:

man oh man,,,,,that is a problem from the most common problems of leakage and false signals the ctx has had,,,,even more just makes me realize that the superman machine that has all those bells and whistles just ain't worth it,,,,,I do believe that it is a deeper machine than an excal but I have had wear and tear problems on the excal and to me, it just seems like a matter of time when the normal excal problems start happening too with the ctx, as well,,they are still a fairly new machine and have not had the hours that the excals have had,,,,time will tell I guess,,,,GL and I hope ML takes care of you

Doubt you'll get a new machine. The ones with crusty leaked out batteries from getting wet just get a new battery slapped in them. I don't think they even own shop towels.

Charged the battery as per the manual (nowhere does it say anything about 18 hours, it's all automatic, it's done charging at about 4 hours, when the light goes from flashing to solid green)

Alkaline battery pack makes no difference.

No sign of water ingress anywhere (has been LIGHTLY splashed, never fully submerged).

Computer is next to the bed and the wife will kill me if this thing starts going bonkers in the middle of the night while hooked up to the USB.

NYNurse... you may be on to something...

take a deep breath and talk to ML,,,,, there are thousands of CTX's working just fine,,,,, and ML will get you yours,,,,

Although I have a Excal and like it, Minelab has never addressed all/any the issues customers have pointed out to them (with it) over the years.

So, unfortunately as good as the CTX may be, don't hold your breath thinking changes are coming. :my2cents: :sorry:

take a deep breath and talk to ML,,,,, there are thousands of CTX's working just fine,,,,, and ML will get you yours,,,,

Good post:roll:..Bad luck for him. Hope all ends well getting the problem resolved. My CTX has been ok for about 2 yrs. now (knock on wood)and has been in and out of the water this year. Was a little concerned about doing it at first (water) but thats gone. There is alot of CTX users with no problems. Not all the CTXs are bad, its funny how some people think..:.

Got it to power on and do its weirdness. Plugging in the USB made it power down. Wont come back on. Switched coils for kicks. Nothing. All boxed back up and waiting for me to call ML.

The reason I think it's software is that these computer units never really power off and often, initializing the USB interface will allow low level functions, such as the software flash function, to run without any apparent activity from the display, etc. Non computer units will power down, same as when you pull the battery, but most of the computer units will have a very low power mode that they live in (sort of like sleeping) when you hit the power button or remove the batteries. There are likely coin batteries or capacitors that will allow this. Often, you can run the interface programs and perform diagnostics, software updates, etc while the unit appears to be shut down, hence my suggestion to try to reflash the software.

Since you've got it boxed up it's a moot point. I'm sure ML will take great care in providing you with a fast turn around and explanation of what was wrong as I have to assume they monitor these forums at least to some degree. They'd be foolish not to.
Keep us appraised of how this plays out. I'm toying with the idea of buying a second MD and the 3030 is number 1 on my list, but a few complaints like yours or reports of poor service would quickly cause me to reconsider that unit or any ML unit.

Thanks and best wishes for a speedy resolution.

Back
Top Bottom