Equinox in trashy , target dense ground...

ohiochris

Elite Member
This detector is awesome ,... hunting in target dense ground I can not only identify and remove coins surrounded by dense metal trash but I can usually isolate each of those trash items that have masked these coins for many years. Often I hear the good target and the bad target separately even though they are literally right next to each other. This thing UN masks great. When targets are this tight though , it does mess with pinpointing and the depth meter a bit though. You side to side wiggle over that good target , says its.....for example a quarter bouncing really strong 35-37 from every angle , but then you turn on the pinpoint function and its gone....the detector is now pinpointing 4 inches over to the side.....for one reason or another the pinpoint locked on to another target , probably because its shallower , and its ignoring the target you were interested in completely. Multiple times when this has happened Ive dug the area where the good target is and a coin is in fact there , just the detector in pinpoint mode seemed to prefer the one over to the side. But with patience and working the coil around from different angles I can usually get the pinpoint mode to acknowledge the good target and locate it. It just messes with your mind a bit. Something else I have noticed a few times , with dense or close targets , sometimes it looks like a coin in the middle is really deep....Ive dug some of these that looked like a 6 or 8 inch dime ( according to the depth meter ) surrounded by other targets only to find the dime was only 2 or 3 inches deep but the detector added to that depth the distance from the center line on the coil out to the outer edge of the coil where another target was. The way I know this is whats happening is.....and you may have noticed this too......but sometimes you get a good signal thats reading as being very deep on the meter but as you get farther along and closer to the actual location of the target the meter gets more and more shallow.....now that you are directly over the coin it only reads about 2 inches deep :lol: It was reading distance from a target at the outer edge of the coil to the center line as depth :mad: Somehow , the detector can factor in both at the same time under certain circumstances with close together targets and be very convincing. Atleast 4 times today this happened to me , I was sure I had an 8" dime surrounded by other close targets....which the detector did independently alert me were there , only to find a very shallow dime.

These are not weaknesses in the machine though , just things I am learning about how it handles very close together targets. Im passing this along to give everybody a head start in the process. If you know what might be happening it will be less confusing. Not claiming to be an expert , Im just getting started with this detector , but this is exactly why I bought this detector and could not wait to put it right into some of the toughest places in my area and learn from it. With all the other reviews I havent seen any that covers what Im seeing here in much detail. So Im listing some strengths Ive witnessed so far as well as some quirky behavior I am seeing with it. It still nails each individual target no matter how close and correctly identifies each , which is by far the toughest part. I didnt find more silver today , but I am finding clad that has been masked to many hunters for decades and even locating and isolating the metal objects that have masked them all this time. Thats crazy !! I didnt know it was possible.

Last edited:
Nice write up! Im looking forward to seeing what this thing can do in trash, now if I only had time to use it.... :lol: thanks for sharing!

This detector is awesome ,... hunting in target dense ground I can not only identify and remove coins surrounded by dense metal trash but I can usually isolate each of those trash items that have masked these coins for many years. Often I hear the good target and the bad target separately even though they are literally right next to each other. This thing UN masks great. When targets are this tight though , it does mess with pinpointing and the depth meter a bit though. You side to side wiggle over that good target , says its.....for example a quarter bouncing really strong 35-37 from every angle , but then you turn on the pinpoint function and its gone....the detector is now pinpointing 4 inches over to the side.....for one reason or another the pinpoint locked on to another target , probably because its shallower , and its ignoring the target you were interested in completely. Multiple times when this has happened Ive dug the area where the good target is and a coin is in fact there , just the detector in pinpoint mode seemed to prefer the one over to the side. But with patience and working the coil around from different angles I can usually get the pinpoint mode to acknowledge the good target and locate it. It just messes with your mind a bit. Something else I have noticed a few times , with dense or close targets , sometimes it looks like a coin in the middle is really deep....Ive dug some of these that looked like a 6 or 8 inch dime ( according to the depth meter ) surrounded by other targets only to find the dime was only 2 or 3 inches deep but the detector added to that depth the distance from the center line on the coil out to the outer edge of the coil where another target was. The way I know this is whats happening is.....and you may have noticed this too......but sometimes you get a good signal thats reading as being very deep on the meter but as you get farther along and closer to the actual location of the target the meter gets more and more shallow.....now that you are directly over the coin it only reads about 2 inches deep :lol: It was reading distance from a target at the outer edge of the coil to the center line as depth :mad: Somehow , the detector can factor in both at the same time under certain circumstances with close together targets and be very convincing. Atleast 4 times today this happened to me , I was sure I had an 8" dime surrounded by other close targets....which the detector did independently alert me were there , only to find a very shallow dime.

These are not weaknesses in the machine though , just things I am learning about how it handles very close together targets. Im passing this along to give everybody a head start in the process. If you know what might be happening it will be less confusing. Not claiming to be an expert , Im just getting started with this detector , but this is exactly why I bought this detector and could not wait to put it right into some of the toughest places in my area and learn from it. With all the other reviews I havent seen any that covers what Im seeing here in much detail. So Im listing some strengths Ive witnessed so far as well as some quirky behavior I am seeing with it. It still nails each individual target no matter how close and correctly identifies each , which is by far the toughest part. I didnt find more silver today , but I am finding clad that has been masked to many hunters for decades and even locating and isolating the metal objects that have masked them all this time. Thats crazy !! I didnt know it was possible.

Your comet on the pin point would explain the large holes dug in most youtube videos. Make since to me. I will have to remember that next time i go out. Thanks so much for pointing that out. This is by far the very best metal detecting forum on the net.

Your comet on the pin point would explain the large holes dug in most youtube videos. Make since to me. I will have to remember that next time i go out. Thanks so much for pointing that out. This is by far the very best metal detecting forum on the net.

Could explain some of that. The pinpoint dosent always do this , but it does happen. If it does this is atleast a place to start in figuring out whats goin on.

I noticed the same thing with my 600 but like you was able to pinpoint the signal I wanted. Just a case of learning the machine and what it's telling me.

I have never used the pinpoint buttons on any of my machines find them useless. I just do the Wiggle method find the target at the end of the coil.I have no problem finding the target even in heavy trash.:yes:

I have never used the pinpoint buttons on any of my machines find them useless. I just do the Wiggle method find the target at the end of the coil.I have no problem finding the target even in heavy trash.:yes:

Finding the target is not the only use of a pinpoint function. I use it to help size the target since that is not always as obvious to those of us that are not experts.

Love hearing about new detectors.

I try to dig it all but do get tired after a hour or so. Then I switch to just good targets. Sounds like you could cherry pick and just move on. Guess thats what it is all about, getting the good stuff quickly.

Just curious to see if you can provide some info on the "Wiggle method"? I'm a newbie and learning the hobby... I'm always looking to learn a new technique or anything that can help me be more successful in my hunting. If you can share, I'd really appreciate it! I also find, like others, that I'm having a tough time with the pinpoint function on my EQ600.

Just curious to see if you can provide some info on the "Wiggle method"? I'm a newbie and learning the hobby... I'm always looking to learn a new technique or anything that can help me be more successful in my hunting. If you can share, I'd really appreciate it! I also find, like others, that I'm having a tough time with the pinpoint function on my EQ600.

Narrow your centered swing up as you slowly move the coil back towards your feet. Note where the audio response drops off as the coil comes off the target.

Now turn around 90 degrees and do it again your swing should be down to mere inches by the time you have backed the coil towards your feet and off the target losing the tone.

The intersection of those two points ( where you lost the signal) should be very close to where the target is buried. Do it several times as you get used to it and note where that intersecting point is.

Rather than learning this in busy sites with multiple targets confusing things, try it at home. Make a very small hole and bury a dime about 3-4 inches deep in a clean patch and practice until you have it down.

Once you have the spot then you can try the pinpointer function to see if it is of any use to you. The experts here don't feel they need it to locate a target.
I usually don't; but do use it to help size the target. A coin will have a very small sweet spot using the pinpoint. Sometimes helps to confirm you are really over a coin or other very small object.

(Parkgt) Advice is what I would give you follow his directions won't take you long to learn. I find it faster than trying to use the pinpoint feature .

Narrow your centered swing up as you slowly move the coil back towards your feet. Note where the audio response drops off as the coil comes off the target.

Now turn around 90 degrees and do it again your swing should be down to mere inches by the time you have backed the coil towards your feet and off the target losing the tone.

The intersection of those two points ( where you lost the signal) should be very close to where the target is buried. Do it several times as you get used to it and note where that intersecting point is.

Rather than learning this in busy sites with multiple targets confusing things, try it at home. Make a very small hole and bury a dime about 3-4 inches deep in a clean patch and practice until you have it down.

Once you have the spot then you can try the pinpointer function to see if it is of any use to you. The experts here don't feel they need it to locate a target.
I usually don't; but do use it to help size the target. A coin will have a very small sweet spot using the pinpoint. Sometimes helps to confirm you are really over a coin or other very small object.

I prefer not to use the pinpoint feature but I have found it to be necessary sometimes with the equinox.

Your description of the Nox's pinpoint function should help out a few folks here who are having troubles pinpointing, you really have to be patient and make sure you are isolating the one desired signal from the many others nearby, the Nox will quickly lock onto the next signal. It's definitely a little more work but once one figures it out it is actually very accurate in pinpoint mode. I'm looking forward to getting more hunt time in with it soon, weather permitting. Nice write up Chris, HH!

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it. I will definitely give it a try when I get back out and hunt soon.

Much of the time I dont even do the 90 degree turn, just wiggle the coil back until the signal stops. If its done correctly , the target is now somewhere in a 4 inch circle at the tip of the coil. There are cases where I will do the turn but not often. All depends on what the detector is telling me about multiple targets. With the equinox now and then I use the pinpoint function because that particular instance I didnt like what I was hearing with the wiggle back. Sometimes just have to adapt to a particular set of variables and choose the best option for that target.

Back
Top Bottom