hunting in Hawaii

Gander

Elite Member
I haven't been on here in awhile, I have a question about an upcoming vacation.
My wife and I are planning on visiting Hawaii. Some friends of ours live in Hilo HI and invited us to stay with them over Christmas and New Years. And we are not coming back till the 11th of January. They not only have room for us, but are going to share a car too.
Ok my question is, From Hilo, where can I go beach detecting? I have never hunted on a beach before, well, resort beachs, is there laws against it or do you need permission? Best time? Day, night early morning etc? What is allowed in Hawaii?
I know there are several people that hunt the beaches in Hawaii, can you help me out?

Gander

I went to Hawaii way back in 82. I did stay in Hilo for a short time and I don't really remember a beach. Most of the coastline was volcanic rock. But, I agree, Aquaman will know best. Good luck and have fun. It's a great place. I would love to go back again some day. HH

Patbick9

Hawaii or the "Big Island" is much larger by far and the newest island in the chain of islands that make up the Hawaiian Islands. Because it's so new in geological terms, it has a somewhat limited amount of sandy beaches/coastline. The Kohala coast has a fair amount of sand but in relation to where you'll be staying, it's a long drive. At $4.50/gallon for reg, the gas bill will definately be up there. There are some nice resorts in that general area though:yes: I'm not really positive about this but I've never heard of anyone being unable "legally" to metal detect Big Island beaches. The perimeter of the island is mostly volcanic rock that drops right into the ocean. It's a beautiful island though. The most amazing waterfalls, incredible hiking trails, an active volcano, the best coffee and was "the" power center of the Hawaiian people (tons of history) thanks to King Kamehameha who unified the islands through war.

Not to be a buzz kill here but I might keep my MD at home if your only planning to visit the Big Island and just enjoy playing tourist. Now if you get over to Oahu, Maui or Kauai...than you need to PM me;)

Attachments

• Big Island.gif
    Big Island.gif
    57 KB · Views: 1,875
I spent a week on the Big Island, so I am no expert. However Aquaman was right, I never did see a sandy beach. You might try Google Earthing the Island and see if any of the resorts have put in a man made beach. Your friends live there, do they know of a beach in the area?

Thanks for the tips. I think Aquaman is right, going to leave the MD at home this time and just play tourist. Besides, my wife said if I brought with us, only one of us would be going to Hawaii. I tried to tell her about the gold on the beaches and all the rings and watches. I tried to show her some pictures of all the loot. She just patted me on the shoulder and said that's nice, just not this trip! And as they say: that is that.

Dude, your on vacation with your wife in Hawaii. Enjoy your vacation and spend time with your wife.
Of course, if you visit Hawaii quite frequenly thenthat's different. But if you dont, enjoy it while your there.

It cost me all of $1500 dollars back in 82 for a 10 day trip. That included arifare, hotels and car rental in Kona, Hilo(on the big island), Maui, and Oahu(got upgraded to a suite because they overbooked our room). On Oahu, we stayed at the Outrigger, not even sure it's there anymore, but got a suite that had two sliding glass doors to balconies that overlooked the ocean and Diamond Head.

You'll never see that kind of a deal anymore.

You have a great trip!!!

Our grand daughter was born in Hilo about 4 1/2 yeas ago. Really a green, pretty area with lots of waterfalls. Not allot of big tourist beaches like on Oahu. Lots to see and do on the Big Island!:cool:

On Oahu, we stayed at the Outrigger, not even sure it's there anymore, but got a suite that had two sliding glass doors to balconies that overlooked the ocean and Diamond Head.

It's still there!!:D:cool: That is "our spot" when we go to Waikiki. Dukes and The Hula Grill are great places to watch the waves and have good food and drink!!;)

They not only have room for us, but are going to spare a car for us too.
We are planning on staying in Hilo for 20 days at our friends home.
They are trying to talk us into staying, like forever. They have a cottage that they will rent to us for.... $200 per month. All I have to do is take care of the yard. Their property is about 2 acres. Not sure what it looks like, all grass or a tropical paradise or just a lava field. My wife is apprehensive about staying, because her friends live here.
That is "our spot" when we go to Waikiki. Dukes and The Hula Grill are great places to watch the waves and have good food and drink!!
We will have lots of time to explore, and maybe stay at a few places.
Now that my wife and I are both retired, we have plenty of time.

Thanks for all the input.

MD in Hilo

Hey I just came from the Big Island,Hilo has hardly any white sand mostly volcanic rocks,but Kona side lots of white beaches like Kaanapali which is heavily active with tourists,took my MD,went out for a little bit & found coins...Enjoy b/c I did--Have Fun in the Sun:D

Back
Top Bottom