Airlift Vacuum anyone?

BufordCityDawg

Elite Member
Does anyone use an airlift vacuum vs a standard scoop? Given the relatively small size of most finds and the light weight of common air pumps you could easily make one that could effectively suck up sand and finds right off of the bottom of the beach. Just wondering if anyone has used one. Pros/Cons?

BCD

Interesting idea...

how bulky/heavy would it be?

The vacuum isn't very heavy. The air pump is a different issue. I did some testing with a standard 150 psi unit and it moved some water but not enough to suck up coins. I am thinking a heavy duty unit is needed and that would be way to bully to haul around.

BCD.

I would get in trouble using that down here, i guess it would be considered dredging. I have thought about it though...

I like the idea.
How will you safely run 120vac to the vac in the water? Or would you need a longer tube? Im pretty sure the longer the tube the more power you need. I use a shop vac almost everyday for work installing floors and we need a new one ever 2 years, burnt out motor and thats just moving air, so i imagine they wouldnt last long either.

I am guessing when you talk about vacuum, it would be two pieces of PVC pipe, one inside the other.
when you draw one back it sucks in some sand and the small target, kind of like those big squirt guns:D
I had to scoop 6-7 times on a target last week because it was so small it fell through the holes in my scoop - it turned out to be an eyelet from a shoe:mad:

Like this wihtout the cap on the end?
http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-Peasy-PVC-Water-Gun/

To answer the last two questions, I was using an air pump like you use with spray paint guns or nail guns. They output a max pressure of 150 PSI but I was only seeing around 90 consistent. As for distance, I have 100' air hose which would get me anywhere I needed to be on the beaches around here. Power to the air pump isn't too bad either as most of these parks have pavilions near the beach. It isn't impossible, but like I said, suction wasn't what I needed. Maybe if I tested it at depth vs using a bucket, I could get better results.

BCD

DeWalt DCC020IB 20V MAX Corded/Cordless Air Inflator

Pull this around in a innertube:cool::grin:

Attachments

• Dewalt-20V-Max-Cordless-Inflator.jpg
    Dewalt-20V-Max-Cordless-Inflator.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 264
There was a youtube video maybe 8 years ago of a guy that used a gas leaf blower and a CZ20, worked great but to noisy where most of us hunt..

He would find the target, the leaf blower was some how connected to the detector,............. the pick up tube was right at the coil..sucked those targets right up into a special made container.

Video is now gone but the post is on another forum ..3rd down on the page under

Has anyone seen this gas powered metal detector yet ? hhmm ...

There was a youtube video maybe 8 years ago of a guy that used a gas leaf blower and a CZ20, worked great but to noisy where most of us hunt..

He would find the target, the leaf blower was some how connected to the detector,............. the pick up tube was right at the coil..sucked those targets right up into a special made container.

There's a man after my own heart. At some point I will work something out.

BCD

I remember watching that Vid OBn!! :laughing::laughing: The damn guy was like a internal combustion wading bagpiper! I took a look at that set up and thought to myself.....'gizzod to the dizzamn!' What strange things Humans can do with simple yard implemints?! Making mountains out of molehills! :laughing::laughing:

It wont work at wading depths. Airlift dredges work by air being pumped into the bottom of a tube which expands as it rises, forcing more and more water out the top which creates a suction at the bottom. Because these need water column to expand, it cant create enough draw to move more than sediment.

If you want to "vacuum" get a dredge.

coin dredge.jpg

Back
Top Bottom