Anyone from Michigan?

I'm from Dearborn Heights and expect to get my 250 via UPS tomorrow. I started last year with a Bounty Tracker IV and found mass quantities of change and junk.
I have md'ed in Hines Park and found a bone but I can't determine if its human (Jimmy Hoffa ?)
Glad to see there are so many Michiganders into the sport. I would also be interested in a group hunt.

Ray

Good Day,

Welcome to Dan and Ray...

Dan - thanks for the invite, hope I can fenagle something.

Ray - bone huh... in a park. It must be of good size for you to think "human". First question, do you have a fair oamount of deer in the area? And number two - alot of BBQ's happen there?

Steelie

Actually in the last couple of years we have more and bigger deer than northern Michigan. There are no predators including man. It is a problem for some but I like seeing them as long as they're not in my windshield.
Based on my past hunting experiences I don't think the bone is from a deer.

I had someone that was going to give it to a friend that worked at the coroners office, but it didn't pan out.

I'm from Canton, MI. In between Ann Arbor and Detroit and I'm looking to get into this. Have no idea what I'm doing as far as buying something decent for the price and some good places to get started. I'm less worried about places to hunt over finding a device I can use for not a ton of money. I don't mind getting something that's gonna make me dig up a lot of garbage, so I'm not picky. Looking for a accurate device over something that is super high tech. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Their are ton of blogs but it's hard to trust any of them when their making money from advertising.

I forgot to mention that I'm looking to find anything of value. Not so much to sell, but to keep for myself. I also have a interest in finding meteorites with them if it's possible to have a device do "everything" on average? I know different devices are built or speced for certain things.. Little help?

Email: [email protected]
AIM: hi im TRIX

Or send a PM on here. Thanks! ;)

honest assessment

well your asking a question that a lot of people will chime in thier "brand preference" bs
seems like most have the idea that they have the best machine and thats all there is, well its not all there is, the serious guys like myself will use anything that comes along that does a better job and i could care less who makes it!
bang for buck and some others might agree with me and some not.

if your trying to get a low cost machine and you plan on hunting with someone else some the bounty hunters seem to give off interference for a good range from the machine keep that in mind it gets old trying to stay far enough from whoever has one.

tesoro silver umax or tesoro anything for that matter the umax brand new around 225 gets excellent depth and performs better than anything i have compared even close in its price ( I do not sell metal detectors :))

you could spend a few more bucks and try to find a nice whites spectrum or e series machine used anywhere from 250 - say 450 youd be doing real good starting out

fisher makes some decent lower cost machines and perform well also

currently i am using a whites xlt and it runs great

I did just but a minelab etrac but i havent used it yet so i will not comment on its operation or performance its also one of the most expensive units so thats not even coming to play here

you dont need fancy bells and whistles to find good stuff coins jewelry etc what you do need is some decent depth and good discrimination abilty wethers its a vdi display type machine or knobs, with most of these machines its 90% about what your hear not what shows up on the screen anyway.
honestly most of the display type machines are not consistent enough past 4" of depth to really trust however if you use a machine for a ton of hours and really learn it even the inconsistencies remain somewhat consitent if that makes any sense to you and you get a better idea of what the machine is telling you anyway even when it comes to guessing at targets 7-8" down

if you seriously plan on getting into this hobby i will tell you if you go with the cheapest thing you get your hands on and actually dig up a few nice things youl be wishing you had the next one up so if your serious you should try to find a mid range machine
however like i said before the silver umax for its price will get you damn good results ands it rock solid built machine

hope this helps

Dan

Thumb Area??

Looking for a MD' partner, I am from Tuscola County area been doing Mding for a few years. Anyone out there near myself???

Jennifer

xdanthemanx

Hi, xdanthemanx you might want to maybe recomend maybe aAce 250. If you get time go youtube and check out Crackbadger they dont have many problems Watch this vidios.

Hi all,
I am definitely interested in the spring Oakland county hunt if you'll have me.

Welcome abelleba! I don't have much experience mind you, but I can say that I do have experience using the Tesoro Silver uMax (not trying to push "my brand", just saying what I have experience with) and I've been very happy with it. I've found a bunch of clad so far, but hoping to hit some beaches this summer and see what else I can turn up. I have also heard a lot of the others around here recommending the Ace 250 (like digmaster777), so it must be worth checking out. Perhaps there is a place near you that offers rentals so you could try a couple out before you buy?

Jennifer, I wish I was a little closer, it would be nice to have a fellow female hunting buddy!

HH everyone :)

Thanks, I'll check that out. Anyone have experience in finding meteorites with theirs in the Michigan area? I know it's not a hot spot, but I know there are some and I just want to find at least 1 golf ball size if possible.

ace

yep i forgot about the ace, thatl do to

finding metorites? all the detectors are going to find those most give off radioactive signals and i have actually dug one or two
your odds are slim of coming across anything big but hey ya never know
if you do find a decent sized one dont carry round in your pocket you never what its really giving off

dan

yep i forgot about the ace, thatl do to

finding metorites? all the detectors are going to find those most give off radioactive signals and i have actually dug one or two
your odds are slim of coming across anything big but hey ya never know
if you do find a decent sized one dont carry round in your pocket you never what its really giving off

dan

Actually, most meteoites are iron based, so may be discriminated out, and none are radioactive, at least to any significant degree.

http://meteorites.pdx.edu/ID-intro.htm

Dave,
Noticed this is an older post for you. I live in chesterfield Township and I have been in this hobby on and off for almost 40 years.

Just thoughtt I would touch base to let you know you have alocal resource and a hunting buddy if you feel so inclined.

Take care
Len

Last edited by a moderator:
Kingston, Tuscola County

Somewhat new to this but I am excited to try. Anyone somewhat near?

Dave,
Noticed this is an older post for you. I live in chesterfield Township and I have been in this hobby on and off for almost 40 years.

Just thoughtt I would touch base to let you know you have alocal resource and a hunting buddy if you feel so inclined.

Take care
Len
Len, sent a friend request.

I've been away from the boards a while. I have yet to take my detector out except to fine my wifes earring she lost in our backyard.... found it - does this count as a find?

Another in Oakland County

Maybe we could form a Macomb/Oakland MD club/group. In the spring we could all get together & hunt somewhere. - dave

Dave, I live at 14 Mile and Telegraph area. I just bought a detector yesterday and found some junk on my own property, but would rather do it with a buddy. Count me in.

I live in Mississippi now, but grew up on an old farm in Montrose (near Flint area) that was built in 1880's. My brother found an 1875 dime on the dirt floor of our old barn back in the 70's just by looking down...wish I could go there now that I have a detector, etc. There a lot of old farm houses in southern Michigan, and I am sure a knock on the door would work. Would be great to join all of you up there. Go Tigers!

Near Brighton/Ann Arbor/zipcode 48169

Hi,
55 year old male
I'm new to detecting and I have a few spots locally I want to hit.
anyone else in the area?
Mike

I'm in Pinckney MI, just north west of Ann Arbor. New to the hobby. Swinging a Bounty Hunter LS Camo this year. Would love to get together with more experienced members and learn how to do this right.

Happy hunting
Tom

Back
Top Bottom