• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Fisher F-75 w/ different coils

InTheHunt

Hey everyone,

In June, I bought a Fisher F-75 that came with three coils: The factory Coil, a Mars Tiger, and a NEL Snake. I hunt a ton of trashy dirt and naturally fell in absolute love with the NEL Snake.

However, lately, I've been wanting to search some old sports fields and farm fields, but it takes to long with my favorite coil due to the tiny size of the Snake coil.

I started messing around with the Mars Tiger and I find that it just pisses me off more than anything. For example, tonight, the grass in my yard was a tiny bit damp. I took a hand full of change and tossed it in my front yard. Five coins of varying types (pennies, dines, etc.) After messing with the settings for about thirty mins, I found one, the quarter, due to the high tone and even it was choppy. And when I say that I tried everything, I mean EVERY THING. I popped the Snake back on and within five mins, I had all the coins back in hand.

Next, I tried the factory coil. It did a little better. It found three, but the two pennies could not be found. Same story, popped the Snake back on and they both popped within a min or two.

I tend to run all metal with the sens at about 50 in wet grass. Frequency F3 due to the power lines for my neighborhood running underground causes some interference at all of the "even number frequencies" for my F-75. When I do run disc mode, my dirt G.B. at about 83, 65 when wet; so when I hunt my own yard in all metal, I set the G.B. to those numbers.

I'm honestly thinking of just selling the Mars Tiger and buying another NEL just slightly larger so that I can process fields at a more bearable speed.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Mars coils? Any one have these issues with the F-75?

I've ran the f75 alot, and had just about every coil made at one time or another..Just my opinion but nothing beat the stock coil, just the best for that machine as far as a large coil goes..id say ditch the Tiger coil.

I use the Nel snake coil on the F75 LTD and seldom take it off. The thing you need to think about is any coil bigger will pick up more targets to separate thru. I hunt lots of farm fields and very seldom use a bigger coil than 6".

I use the Nel snake coil on the F75 LTD and seldom take it off. The thing you need to think about is any coil bigger will pick up more targets to separate thru. I hunt lots of farm fields and very seldom use a bigger coil than 6".

Thanks for your input. I'm getting the feeling that the big Tiger coil is nothing that I need. My new question is this: when is the right time to use a coil like a Mars Tiger Big D coil? I do know the exact dimensions but it is something like 13 inches by 8 inches or some such.

Back
Top Bottom