Permission and The Science of Persuasion

jimther

Elite Member
Here is an interesting video, titled "The Science of Persuasion" that I ran across a couple of years ago, when I was checking the daily 5 videos at WIMP.COM. There used to be an APP for WIMP, but the videos are only available now on the net at www.wimp.com [family friendly videos]. When I first saw this and viewed it, I realized the concepts can be applied in all kinds of situations, but detectorists might surely benefit from watching this.

When I saw another thread about no luck getting permission, I immediately thought of this video, so I did a quick search at their web site and I'm sharing it below.

This will be almost a twelve minute investment of your time. Is that worth more YES'es ?

After a quick review of the first couple minutes, I can see that fellow Forum member, beephead has mastered the first concept... "Reciprocation"

I won't even charge a dime for sharing this one. I hope it will aid a few of us in upping our hit rate on seeking permission. Post your comments after viewing the video if you like. NOTE: The video has no sound during the first 12 seconds, so don't adjust your volume till the sound starts.

So here's the link: https://www.wimp.com/the-science-of-persuasion/

jimther
Librarian - Massachusetts Treasure Hunting Association
www.masstreasure.com

I watched it. If you got permission for one site, you might be able to convince the neighboring property owners to let you detect just by saying their neighbor let you detect. Haven't tried it yet.

I was a sales trainer for AT&T and my success factor is quite high. In fact I’m giving a presentation at our club on getting permissions next month. My strongest advice is to have business cards printed and always carry them with you and hand them out freely. When I do get a permission before I start I introduce myself to the neighbors and give them my card and explain what I’m doing. Often that leads to additional permissions and also prevents explaining what you are doing to the police.
Also join local historical societies. The presentations are great but many of the members have places we want to hunt so network among them.

Attachments

• FB3785E4-E46B-49F2-B28F-4E6A06B1AB04.jpg
    FB3785E4-E46B-49F2-B28F-4E6A06B1AB04.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,246
I was a sales trainer for AT&T and my success factor is quite high. In fact I’m giving a presentation at our club on getting permissions next month. My strongest advice is to have business cards printed and always carry them with you and hand them out freely. When I do get a permission before I start I introduce myself to the neighbors and give them my card and explain what I’m doing. Often that leads to additional permissions and also prevents explaining what you are doing to the police.
Also join local historical societies. The presentations are great but many of the members have places we want to hunt so network among them.
Whir did you get the cards made?

Business cards

I haven't used them yet as I've run into some serious health issues that I'm currently working through, but these are the ones that I had printed. I tried using MS Word templates with no success so I used Vistaprint for these.

Attachments

• bizcard1.jpg
    bizcard1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,139
  • bizcard2.jpg
    bizcard2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,121
Do you have a card ?

Hi again,

Thanks for posting an image of your "Hobby" cards, Chip & Jim. Nice job !
I especially like that you include your affiliation with local Historical Societies.

I designed mine about 20 years ago at iPrint.com and still have a bunch from that batch, even though we moved to another town 15 years ago. Rather than order a new batch, I just use a Sharpie to line out the old address and phone number and write in my current number.

I also have designed the cards for our club (Massachusetts Treasure Hunting Association) over the years, but have been using Vistaprint.com for my last two orders. Lots of templates and fonts available and reasonable prices.

I carry a few of my cards and the club's card with me wherever I go. You never know when the opportunity will arise to promote the club or the hobby. Here's my card:

Attachments

• Lost and Found.JPG
    Lost and Found.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,292
Updated my obsolete card

In my previous reply, I included an image of my old card, which I designed about 25 years ago. Because I had moved almost 17 years ago, I had to block out my old contact info and write in my new number. Here's my new card, which I did at Vistaprint.com in January. I like it better than the old one.

Jim

Attachments

• Lost and Found new card 7_Jan_2019.jpg
    Lost and Found new card 7_Jan_2019.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 807
Last edited:
That a beauty of a new card there Jim! I have been working on one myself, but it doesn't look that nice yet! [emoji1]

Informative video. Thanks for the link!

Last edited:

Bingo. This has been my biggest helper. Get involved in historical societies. Become a docent, for example. It involves putting perhaps 6 hrs. per month. Eg.: shuffling papers, manning a desk, leading tours, or whatever.

But then yes: That gives you back-door access to white glove materials/resources. And a "name-to-drop" when you're doing research and knocking on doors. Eg.: "Hi, I'm a worker at such & such museum [as you flash your ID badge to them]. And I'm researching the such & such stage stop that was said to have been on the back-40 of this property somewhere. Do you know about that ?", etc... blah blah

I've even used my credentials to get un-fettered access to white-glove file cabinets in other museums of other cities. Sometimes merely flashing the badge gets you "behind the desks" and "reasons-to-be-snooping" at other museums in your state.

Back
Top Bottom