Fabricated a larger shovel

Flapjack

Elite Member
I made another shovel this time a larger one that is roughly the same dimensions as a Lesche relic hunter. I needed something bigger for the woods.
I used some flat stock that I had for the blade, and some 1" type L copper tubing for the shaft and the handle. After a few outings I noticed that the blade edge was starting to show some damage from digging rocks. I didn't have any tool steel filler rod so I hardfaced the edge with some old drill bits. Worked great. Thanks for looking
IMG_4603.jpg

IMG_4605.jpg

IMG_4608.jpg

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 511
Really like the copper. How’s it hold up?
It's holding up well, although I've only been in the woods with it a few times because of the snow which is a bummer. We've been having to hit the beaches lately until the snow melts and I use a scoop for that.

you definitely have some skills they both look really nice and usable

keep us updated on how the copper holds up when you finally get to do some serious digging with them, i am really curious as to how well the copper handles hold up

Very cool.

I just started using a shovel. I used to think it looked bad carrying a shovel around the city park while hunting. You can imagine what people think when they see you. Now with my medical issues, a shovel keeps me from having to bend down to recover. I have a very small, 28", shovel I can pretty much hide alongside my leg.

Excellent handy work but as someone who once cut into an underground high voltage wire (480v), I'm apprehensive about handles that conduct electricity. Drawings placed the wire on otherside of the street.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Excellent handy work but as someone who once cut into an underground high voltage wire (480v), I'm apprehensive about handles that conduct electricity. Drawings placed the wire on otherside of the street.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That doesn't sound like fun at all, I'm assuming it didn't kill you?

nice work. i just picked up my Predator from a welder yesterday. i had surgery x2 hernia and prostate cancer, and the 31 inch predator with me at 5'11 made my scrunch down kinda pinched. soooo i had him add a 12" extension and now i can stand straight and push down without the awkward half bend, which sometimes hurt my back muscles too. it was somewhat costly but worth it. i know welding supplies sky high so did not mind paying. he also welded a 12 in extension to an aluminum handle cheap scoop that had an umbrella shaped "J" handle, absolutely useless as it was to me. it was a freebie from a widow of deceased partner thrown in with machine i bought from her. he went to beach twice a year and just got a simple one. it aint prettiest with a welded filled in coupling and larger tubing on end but very sturdy functional now. much stronger. i need to get a bike grip on it. no tee handle just straight shaft. i dont water hunt inland except the edge of a lake sometimes, and a yearly lowering of old private lake so this thing will do. Whites made a longer shovel but to me it was too wide and i use the predator in grass sometimes, or tried, but now way more functional. i use a WW2 army entrencher in the woods where it dont matter, turn at angle, chop, and have one with a longer wooden handle when back is sore.

i envy your skills they look really good. i paid $60 for the two extensions and am happy. nice guy.

Back
Top Bottom