The best way to dig?

MetalMonster80

Hey im new to this obviously and today i was digging and i chipped a big piece of metal off of something... :nono: Luckily it was scrap :roll: But i would hate to damage something valuable so i was wondering if theres some special way?? haha

You can always use a probe before digging.
Are you PP first before you dig?

I use a mattock pick and pick on both sides of the target than i pick in front of the target and the last swing in the back of the target in the woods where the holes dont matter as long as they get filled. In a yard I slice a square around the target and the last swing i loosen the plug. It's real easy and roots and rocks aren't that big of a problem. Ya think using a pick you would damage the target more but that's not the case because you always pick away from the target instead of like a shovel you dig into the target. Good Luck!! ....HH....401K

tool's

Get a Lesche 31 inch T shovel with the serrated edge 2 shown in pick,you can get one through http://newenglanddetectors.com/,cut a 6 inch plug,i usually cut the plug 80% flip it over,check the plug with a pointer,than check the hole,no signal dig the hole deeper,check with the pointer no signal,than go over it with the detector,recover target,put all the dirt back,flip the plug back over,most importantly step on the plug a few times level the plug,make sure the root's are packed back into the soil,the grass wont die if you do this,leave no trace that you ever dug,allway's collect the trash from the site,as this is performing a community service of cleaning the area,happy hunting Earl 35 year's of detecting dirt.

Attachments

• 20110613_1.JPG
    20110613_1.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 261
Although I sometimes have trouble pinpointing with my machine, i do as best as I can before "mapping" out my dig. If I think it's a coin target then i'll typically cut the plug an extra 3-6" wider to make sure I don't scratch whatever is in there. If it's definitely larger than a coin, i'll give myself more slack and make the plug even larger. Doesn't necessarily mean a huge, thick plug, but rather a nice, wide, shallow...conical shaped plug (wider than 90 degrees)

If you can make sense of that, then I did my job! But if not....I'm sorry, lol.

The 2nd best tool I have for avoiding a nasty ding is my Garret Propointer. The best tool i have is the detector itself. Once you locate a target, learning how to size it up and pinpoint its position in relation to the coil is a must. Coins in parks are generally the easiest to practice with. Odd shaped relics and coins in nail and iron infested areas are more of a challenge. Once you find a target, dont skimp on time. Take your time to circle the target like a buzzard. Pinpoint from different angles of approach. Doing so will narrow it down dramatically. Always dig a little deeper than you believe the target to be. Once you have cut your plug or flap, the Garret PP will do the rest. If the item is still in the hole, the PP will tell you. To pinpoint its precise location, turn the PP off, hold it in the hole near the item and turn it back on. This will reduce its sensitivity. The reduced sensitivity will help pinpoint the location exactly, showing you where it's safe to dig. If the item is stuck in the side of the hole, you will now be able to push the digger in right above it and pop it out without damage.

Remember, the key is always to practice! I find that coin shooting in popular parks is the best practice. Treat each coin as if it were a gold coin and you will be (mostly) ding free in no time! Also, there are composite trowels available that can help with retrieval once a plug or flap has been cut.

Happy Hunting

Back
Top Bottom