RESULTS >> Exchange 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yippy! Just got my gift box from Ozarks!

Here is a pic of it all spread out. Really cool detector bag (WITH NO ADVERT LABEL!!!): This will be used immediately!!!

2012-01-06_17-49-07_264.jpg

And here is the breakdown...

misc.jpg

Log Book Pad: This is really going to come in handy with some research I am doing!
4 Various Sports Cards: (Micheal Jordan Mario Andretti, Micheal Andretti, and The Andretti's): My son already stole these.
Window Sticker from Getteysburg State Park: Very cool keepsake!

headphones.jpg

Really nice set of Sony Headphones: I have a feeling my 7-going-on-18 year old daughter might be stealing these, going to have to try hard to keep them.

And my very favorite part of the gift...

2012-01-06_17-51-00_330.jpg

Quoted from the included note:

"The dime was found under the porch of a 1930's house back in 1996. The Panamanian Balboa was found while detecting at a creek in NW Arkansas. This was my first silver found detecting"

I am at a loss for words bud, I wont even let anyone touch my first silver found, let alone give it to a total stranger as a christmas present.

Simply amazing gift! I will cherish it always.

I just received the most thoughtful gifts ever from TRETIM! After a long trip over the Pacific I opened the package to find some very well-chosen treats: a pair of waterproof kneepads (which I REALLY need!), a Santa wine-stopper, a "wine bottle candle" (how did you know I love wine?), a magazine on TRETIM's local area and....his first ever silver! :wow: To give your first silver away to someone you met through a forum is a pretty amazing thing. :yes: I am very grateful and humbled to receive a gift such as this. :grin:

Can't wait to finally use kneepads as my knees are destroyed from always digging without them. Going to set up my wine lamp tonight too and see if it has the intended romantic effect on the wife...here's hoping! :D

Thanks again Tim for the great gifts and thanks to the FMDM for hosting such a great exchange.

P1000504.jpg

P1000505.jpg

stewart73,
I'm glad I chose well for you and that it made it over the Pacific safely! I saw in your posts that you were doing beach hunts and I would want those knee pads for doing that...heck even for a muddy hill or wet grass. I only use one on my left knee so I get double life out of a pack. You list liking wine in your profile so that was an easy "find" lol. I thought that Santa was cool! The silver was my first and my one and only so far but I haven't hunted much yet...there will be more. Merry Christmas!!

Carol, if you pm me an address I'll gladly send one your way for going to the trouble to set all this up! :yes:

OK guys & gals, first of all...every single gift listed here has really looked great! There are many warm hearts because of everyone's generosity!

I have been "out" for a week+, sick with the flu...but back at work today. However, while I was out sick, my gift to Kansas Dave and my gift from him both sat on my desk. I had slept so much, that I had forgotten all about this and I never got online while home. So, I shipped his gift out today via UPS and have PM'ed him to let him know that it's on it's way.

And, he Blessed me with a GREAT gift...an awesome K&M Discovery Team t-shirt and he had my "man cave's logo" (my avatar) printed on the back...how awesome! See the photos below!

Dave, thank you for the best gift I could have received! Thank you for your patience with me getting yours out so late!

Thanks Carol for putting this together!

T-shirt Front:

Shirt-Front-010112.jpg

T-shirt Back:

Shirt-Back-010112.jpg

OK guys & gals, first of all...every single gift listed here has really looked great! There are many warm hearts because of everyone's generosity!

I have been "out" for a week+, sick with the flu...but back at work today. However, while I was out sick, my gift to Kansas Dave and my gift from him both sat on my desk. I had slept so much, that I had forgotten all about this and I never got online while home. So, I shipped his gift out today via UPS and have PM'ed him to let him know that it's on it's way.

And, he Blessed me with a GREAT gift...an awesome K&M Discovery Team t-shirt and he had my "man cave's logo" (my avatar) printed on the back...how awesome! See the photos below!

Dave, thank you for the best gift I could have received! Thank you for your patience with me getting yours out so late!

Thanks Carol for putting this together!

T-shirt Front:

Shirt-Front-010112.jpg

T-shirt Back:

Shirt-Back-010112.jpg

An awsome personal touch. Very Very thoughtful. Gret job Kansas Dave!

ok guys & gals, first of all...every single gift listed here has really looked great! There are many warm hearts because of everyone's generosity!

I have been "out" for a week+, sick with the flu...but back at work today. However, while i was out sick, my gift to kansas dave and my gift from him both sat on my desk. I had slept so much, that i had forgotten all about this and i never got online while home. So, i shipped his gift out today via ups and have pm'ed him to let him know that it's on it's way.

And, he blessed me with a great gift...an awesome k&m discovery team t-shirt and he had my "man cave's logo" (my avatar) printed on the back...how awesome! See the photos below!

dave, thank you for the best gift i could have received! Thank you for your patience with me getting yours out so late!

thanks carol for putting this together!

t-shirt front:

shirt-front-010112.jpg

t-shirt back:

shirt-back-010112.jpg

thatthread.jpg

Thanks LRS23S

LRS23S sent me a super bright headlight, a kneepad and some Treasure Magazines. Really cool and thanks again buddy.

Hope you liked the Buzz Bomb Sheath I sent you!!!!;)

Attachments

• 2012-01-09 20.41.39.jpg
    2012-01-09 20.41.39.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,278
And from the land of the Shogun...

Stewart73 (Dave) was over the top as a Christmas exchange partner :yes: !

While I was waiting with excitement to see what amazing items I might receive from Japan, I received my first gift...a cool coffee table book from Amazon about his stomping grounds, Kyoto. My four boys and I enjoyed the beautiful pics and descriptions!
Dave and I had nearly given up on Japanese air mail ( :timer: ) after a couple weeks passed and he was preparing to wrap up another gift when my wife texted me, "Your Japan package is here"! As soon as I got home, I called my boys down and we opened all these individually wrapped goodies! Dave emailed me the following guide so we knew what each cool gift was, I added the numbers next to each find...

"Hey Tim,

Okay so the long thing (1) is the mouthpiece from an old bronze or copper pipe, called a “kiseru” in Japanese. It still has remnants of the old bamboo stem inside. It has a mark on it which appears to be the kind of jar they used to store tea leaves in. This was found on a trail between Yamashina and Kyoto city...between Bishamondo Temple and Nanzenji Temple to be exact. Dating it would be difficult but it is probably from the late Edo or early Meiji periods so that would put it somewhere in the early 1800s. I have found several mouthpieces but this is the only one with makers mark on it (the tea jar). Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any more info on it.

The big bullet (2) is the biggest on I’ve ever found and must have come from a pretty large gun, probably a machine gun or even from an aircraft. The patina suggests it is old but I really have no idea. Maybe Voriax on the forums could ID the calibre? This was found around the Fushimi area of Kyoto, in the forest. There must have been a battle of some sort here as there was lead everywhere but this was the most intact one I found.

The small ball (3) is a musket ball that I found around the remains of an old castle in Arashiyama, Kyoto. It is quite small for a musket ball so must have come from some smaller rifle. The castle was built in 1490 or so and remained for a few hundred years so an exact date on this would be tough. Before our lifetimes though!

The buckle (4) was found in Nara in the hillsides. No idea on what it was used for or the age of it.

The two badges were found on the mountain behind Chion-in temple in Kyoto. The ‘open’ one (5) is in the shape of a cherry blossom and I think the other one (6) is a flower too. These may have been military buttons or badges but dating them is hard. It is also possible that the cherry blossom shaped one could have been from an old school. The area has thousands of years of history so anything is possible.

I wanted to give you a few different era of coins. The one with the square hole (7) is called a “kanei tsuho” though I like to call it samurai money. These were minted in the Edo period (1603~1868) so this coin was made somewhere between those dates. I just found this the other day somewhere around Kiyomizu Temple in Kyoto. It was buried deep in the woods this one. It was actually quite a steep hillside so I'm guessing somebody may have take a tumble long ago.

The larger coin (8) is from the Meiji Period (1868~1912). Funnily enough these are harder to find than the older coins. Beautifully designed with the dragon on one side. The denomination is “1 sen” which is 1/100th of a yen...that’s like .001 of a cent. Worth more now though. :) Found in Kyoto somewhere (I can’t remember exactly). Very interesting time in Japan’s history though when the Shogun lost power to the Emperor...very violent time.

The next one with the flowery border (9) is also a “1 sen” but is from the Taisho Period (1912~1926).

The little aluminum one (10) is from the Showa Period (1926~1989). I think this one is from the 1930s. These are very hard to find because this design was only made for a few years (they changed every few years in the Showa Period) and because aluminum degrades so quickly in the soil. This is one of maybe three I’ve found in 8 years of detecting here and the only one in this condition.

So that’s it, hope you enjoy these little bits of history!

Dave"

Dave, Thank you for sharing your amazing finds with me! :thumbsup: As soon as I have the chance to get to a craft store I will be getting a wall display for them. I'll post a pic when it is done. :D

Carol and Vlad, thanks again for having this gift exchange! I was really nervous getting paired with someone so far away but everything worked out great and now I have a long distance hunting buddy!

Tim

Being away for the forums for some months... this thread was just AWESOME to read. Great participation, stoked it all came together and brought some joy to everyone involved. Heck, even those of us not involved I'm sure have loved reading all of this. I haven't read an entire thread in a long time, and this was 8 pages of greatness :yes:

:waytogo:

All I have to say is.. WOW!

Just received my package from Kolby72 today! Since he is over in Germany it took us a little longer to get our packages.

All I can say is WOW!

Everything he sent is great!

Ill let the pictures speak for themselves!:D:D

Maybe Kolby will chime in and give a lesson on each piece.:grin:

Attachments

• IMAG0545.jpg
    IMAG0545.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 749
  • IMAG0546.jpg
    IMAG0546.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 799
  • IMAG0547.jpg
    IMAG0547.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 812
  • IMAG0548.jpg
    IMAG0548.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 797
  • IMAG0549.jpg
    IMAG0549.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 793
  • IMAG0552.jpg
    IMAG0552.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 832
  • IMAG0551.jpg
    IMAG0551.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 829
  • IMAG0550.jpg
    IMAG0550.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 755
  • IMAG0553.jpg
    IMAG0553.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 801
Last edited:
I received my gift from Coin Struck a couple days ago but I wanted to wait until he got mine to post what he sent me. When I opened the package I was thrilled with what was inside. I will be participating in this again next year and I hope I get paired up with someone as awesome as him again!

Attachments

• IMAG0427.jpg
    IMAG0427.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 812
  • IMAG0428.jpg
    IMAG0428.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 858
  • IMAG0429.jpg
    IMAG0429.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 797
  • IMAG0430.jpg
    IMAG0430.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 921
The first pic is a silver walker that is from a large collection my grandmother gave me, the second pic is a WWII wounded badge equivalent to a purple heart only the wounded badge had different grades,the third is a 10 Reiches Phfinnig form WWII I dug, the fourth pic is of a .50 cal armor piercing round.... one exploded and one whole minus the powder of course lol the white object is just an old musket ball I dug all of the items in the pic. Lastly is one of my Bayonets from WWII. It is German in origin and the sheath matches the blade. It was found by a buddy of mine near Berlin in a lake. Glad you like all of the items. I was a bit worried because none of it was brand new...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom