what does anyone do with dirty coins?

beachviper

I have found many dirty almost uncleanable coins. some dimes have almost no silver left on them. what can be done with these? will a bank take them or are they just no good anymore? any info would be nice thanks.

Hello Sir, As far as I know any money, wether paper or coin, printed or struck by the US Government, regardless of its condition retains its original value and is redeemable at any bank in the USA for that same value. This is the way I understand the rules of the treasury department concerning all money. But I'm not an authority on the subject.

Welcome aboard. A tumbler does wonders on dirty clad,search the site,lots of threads on different methods. Good luck!!!

Last I heard, put them in a sock, tie it off, and wash it in the laundry. :grin:

But since you're more than likely talking about worn beach coins, there's really not much you can do. We have a whole can of some really worn coins. That's where they sit right now... in a can.

Also check out this thread.... Ugly Coin Contest

Take all of the really bad coins like the corroded zincolns and put them in an old jar. Then take the jar and bury it in a local park for a future MD'er to find.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

thanks for the replys

thanks everyone i have done the vinegar salt bit with my coins i got the tip with the little book that game with my garrett. lol. but it seems that it takes the silver right off the dimes and quarters with pennies it works ok.

If you are talking about modern clad coinage... the coating is not silver. If older coins (i.e. pre-65), the silver is all through the coin. The washing machine/sock method does really well, or a tumbler could be purchased - do not tumble copper with clad or silver coins. RickO

Welcome to the forum . I run my dirty coins threw a tumbler then cash them in at the bank . Don't know about everyone's bank but mine doesn't like them really dirty and the chipped and pitted coins they won't take , they say if they won't go threw there coin machine they won't take them . I usually soak mine in white vinegar overnight before running them in the tumbler it pretty well cleans them except for the pink color you see in some coins . Do not put a collectible coin in the tumbler it will ruin there value only clean the clad .

Harold

If you are talking about modern clad coinage... the coating is not silver. If older coins (i.e. pre-65), the silver is all through the coin. The washing machine/sock method does really well, or a tumbler could be purchased - do not tumble copper with clad or silver coins. RickO[/QUO

i am talking about modern coins, whatever quarters and dimes are coated in has come off.

Most banks will not take the corroded or real dirty cents. Some banks say they do not have to. So, a cent is a cent as long as one takes them in exchange.Even the coin counting machines will kick them out. (:-O)

Coin cleaning

I clean clad coins and zinc-copper pennies by clamping them in a pair of needle nose pliers and quickly buff both sides with a soft brass circular brush on my bench grinder. These coins are spent for batteries or given to the Grand kids for chores any way. It takes about 3-4 seconds to clean both sides which is faster than salt and vinegar and a tumbler. The grungiest coins come out looking like a new coin and I don`t think there is much metal removed from the coins. I would NOT try this with silver or collectible coins! Don`t forget to use eye protection when operating the bench grinder.

Back
Top Bottom