Xterra 705 has an Auto Pinpoint mode and sizing mode? how's auto pp work?

tinsmith

Elite Member
I've read Randys take on Auto pp and the manual. My impression is I don't like it. Also is sizing mode more like an average pp feature as comes on most md's ?
I've never had pp mode so exuse my ignorance. I'm still trying to decide if this 705 is more than I need. Thanks guys...

For the most part you're right, but Pinpoint Auto is also referred to as Pinpoint ID. It isn't necessarily accurate on ID, though it can provide additional information, but you must be over the target exactly to garner much from it.

The advantage to Pinpoint Sizing, is that you can effectively trace the outline of an object to determine it's size.

For the most part you're right, but Pinpoint Auto is also referred to as Pinpoint ID. It isn't necessarily accurate on ID, though it can provide additional information, but you must be over the target exactly to garner much from it.

The advantage to Pinpoint Sizing, is that you can effectively trace the outline of an object to determine it's size.
Oh ok thanks, and that was quick. I can always count on you for a great answer. You must be an Engineer. Or should have been. I was a Master tech on electro optic high tech systems buttt....MDs are another animal. Worked with Eng a ton. LASER is my specialty. So I'll prob. use whichever pp is easiest to quickly find the target. I didn't like the " lowers sensetivity with each sweep" aspect of auto pp. Its really auto gb, tracking gb, beach gb, auto noise cancel and coil /frequency choice that really appeals to me. I'm just thinking ----is it more than I need? Then again if I'm spending 600 on another md, for another 129 you can be playing with this 705 and I can't find anything wrong with it so far. I also like the sounds I've heard from it, well the video audio on UTube anyway.

Oh ok thanks, and that was quick. I can always count on you for a great answer. You must be an Engineer. Or should have been. I was a Master tech on electro optic high tech systems buttt....MDs are another animal. Worked with Eng a ton. LASER is my specialty. So I'll prob. use whichever pp is easiest to quickly find the target. I didn't like the " lowers sensetivity with each sweep" aspect of auto pp. Its really auto gb, tracking gb, beach gb, auto noise cancel and coil /frequency choice that really appeals to me. I'm just thinking ----is it more than I need? Then again if I'm spending 600 on another md, for another 129 you can be playing with this 705 and I can't find anything wrong with it so far. I also like the sounds I've heard from it, well the video audio on UTube anyway.

Ok what machines have u had in the past and how long have u been detecting? The 705 is one of the better machines on todays market. Longhorn r longhair is prolly one of the most experienced 705 users on the net. He can and prolly will help u get started. From what I have seen hes a great guy. I have been thinking maybe getting the 705 as well but idk. You may have jumped up to far of a machine with the 705 but not sayin its impossible for u to learn just will be harder for u. I went from the f4 to the f75se. HUGE step up all in the first year of metal detecting. After 1 year of using the f75se and after over 100 hrs I now can use the f75se comfortable but still lots to learn. During that 1 year I was learning the f75se I quit a few times and even put it for sale on here a few times :laughing:. one time I even put it in the corner in my room for 3 MONTHS :no:. All in all about 1 year later things started clicking. Glad I kept it and its been a wild great adventure. I wouldn't trade my f75 for nothing now love it. What im trying to say is its not gonna be easy and sometimes not fun but learn the 705 and then u have one of the best metal detectors in the world. But if u decide to take a step r 2 down and downgrade please let me know I may buy it from ya! HH and u have a AWESOME machine that I would love to have and learn. GL

Ok what machines have u had in the past and how long have u been detecting? The 705 is one of the better machines on todays market. Longhorn r longhair is prolly one of the most experienced 705 users on the net. He can and prolly will help u get started. From what I have seen hes a great guy. I have been thinking maybe getting the 705 as well but idk. You may have jumped up to far of a machine with the 705 but not sayin its impossible for u to learn just will be harder for u. I went from the f4 to the f75se. HUGE step up all in the first year of metal detecting. After 1 year of using the f75se and after over 100 hrs I now can use the f75se comfortable but still lots to learn. During that 1 year I was learning the f75se I quit a few times and even put it for sale on here a few times :laughing:. one time I even put it in the corner in my room for 3 MONTHS :no:. All in all about 1 year later things started clicking. Glad I kept it and its been a wild great adventure. I wouldn't trade my f75 for nothing now love it. What im trying to say is its not gonna be easy and sometimes not fun but learn the 705 and then u have one of the best metal detectors in the world. But if u decide to take a step r 2 down and downgrade please let me know I may buy it from ya! HH and u have a AWESOME machine that I would love to have and learn. GL

TNINDIAN u thinking about buying a xterra 705 also?HINT: Maybe you should find a dealer close by that way you can try all of them out..save u lots of $$$$$$$$

Wow! How long have you been out of school. Are TN schools that bad at teaching kids how to write a paragraph.
You now want to buy Minelab X-Terra 705, we thought you were getting a E-trac, a CTX 3030, a Xp Deus, and a White's V3I. Because you were leaving a lot of silver behind.

Wow! How long have you been out of school. Are TN schools that bad at teaching kids how to write a paragraph.
You now want to buy Minelab X-Terra 705, we thought you were getting a E-trac, a CTX 3030, a Xp Deus, and a White's V3I. Because you were leaving a lot of silver behind.

Really dude we are here talkin about detectors pretty lame ur gonna question a persons writing skills, not all of us care for ooopps i need a comma,here capital here start a,new paragraph now. I use my phone & just Type i went to school college & im a single dad. To bad we cant all be as smart as you in ur writing skills, I do know 1 thing Tn can use his detectors & is very knowledgeable in fact alot of people here are very smart. You obviously have nothing to contribute to this thread so why bother posting

Hey TN, thanks for responding. Naw I don't have the 705 yet but its at the top of the upgrade list. To answer that question- ooh yeah that's takin a big leap into Big boy Metal detectorville. I have a very rudamentary basic MD. Also in the first yr. I certainly have no misconceptions on what it takes or time it'll take to learn the 705. I'm not going to buy another md for a long time if I get this one. I have no need for more than one machine so I'm getting everything I'll want in one purchase. I've tore through the manual several times. I have 6-7 manuals on mid level machines and study them all. Best read on these boogers though is: Randy Horton's ebook on Xterras. Its on the Minelab site for free. Anyway I may get the 705. Why waste money on the Corvette when I can afford a Lamborgini? .......Ok Chevy guys.... I'm just kiddin...

Hey Tinsmith, I have had the 705 for about 5 months -- but only about five weeks' worth of hunting weather -- and it does take some getting used to, but its not overwhelming. I have been detecting for one year exactly ( started Feb 28th 2013) and started with a Tesoro Outlaw. I added a Fisher F5 to learn TID and tones a few months later. I'm no genius, but I'm finding the 705 to be just as easy/challenging as those two machines, just in different ways. The 705 is so diverse in its set-up options, it will take much longer to get comfortable with all of them. However, its pretty easy to set it up for a basic coin hunt and get to it. So its as complicated as you want it to be-- and I feel that's a good thing! So I would not shy away from the 705 because of a perceived learning curve, its a pretty darn good machine and not that difficult to use effectively.

My two cents anyway.

Back
Top Bottom