Anyone in california?

Hi folks,

I own a home in the High Desert (Hesperia) and I live and work in Santa Monica during the week. I have been hunting Southern California for more than a decade. First prospecting and nugget shooting with a detector, and then just straight metal detecting.

One thing I have learned in that 10 plus years is.... most detectorists are really great people. Those that get into it thinking they are going to hit it big right away don't last, nor do they usually share anything. I have learned that the way to get ahead in this hobby is help each other.

There are places to go in the area, but know that many places are well hunted due to the high concentration of people in the area, and reasonable hunting land is somewhat scarce due to development density where people have been over the years. Please note: I am speaking strictly about Southern California with these statements. Much of the older settled areas are now paved over, or they are considered historical sites which is off-limits to detecting. Sad , but true. The area beaches are covered so well that it is becoming difficult to find trash targets on them. The buried used diapers are still there, as well as the potato chip bags, just very little metal. The beach is where EVERYONE thinks the great and easy finds are so they all go. Then the parking lots get rich, and those that go there get depressed and sell their gear. DON'T GET DEPRESSED AND SELL YOUR GEAR - JUST BECOME A BETTER AND SMARTER HUNTER.

I am not saying this to be a bummer, or to be negative, I am just being honest with the newbies so they do not become disappointed when they hit the common sites everyone else hits with little or no results to show for it. There is a massive amount of vacant land in California, but most of it has not seen a significant amount of human traffic in order to leave behind metal targets of any kind. The places that do have large numbers of people are hit often by many detectorists. And there are quite a few in Southern California!

The moral to the story is, be creative. Carefully plan, research and find unique sites, or ask for permission to go on private land. Find a good hunting partner, or two, so when you hit shady areas or the more remote sites you can take care of each other. Most of all - don't expect too much and you won't be let down. Then when you make a good find it will be all the more sweet!

I have been successful, and made some good finds in the area. And I will be happy to go out with anyone that wants to go and share with you anything you would like to know if I happen to know something you may not. Most of what I have learned was shared with me, so I owe it to the people that taught me to pass it on. So let's get out there and make some great new finds.

The Shark

I'd like to hunt Apple Valley one of these days.

I live in Trabuco Canyon and am looking for a hunting buddy. Have located one in OC nearby but would like to have another just in case.

Don't forget to fish Trabuco creek in t,he spring if you like that sort of thing.....;)

Yucaipa/Calimesa

I realize this is an old post; but im gonna through a line out and see if I get any bites. Im here in southern California: Calimesa. Im a loner looking for a MD partner. I am fairly new approximately 5-6 times out with my Garrett 350. Please let me know,,,,Happy Hunting.

Checking in from Salinas, CA here.

However, the entire state is mine. So you'll all kindly need to hand over 20% of all your finds to me. I take paypal. Thank you. :laughing:

I live in oakland ca

Hi there, my name is Kyle Knapp and I live in Oakland CA. I have only been metal detecting two times, I found a few pennies, a dime and some beer bottle caps, and a coors button at the Livermore Rodeo grounds. I am interested in finding a buddy I can meet up with and go metal detecting. I have purchased a $50.00 metal detector, when I first started it, and now I have a garrett ace 250, I love to use it, although I am a newbie, and locating metals is still rather difficult for me. I watched a video on youtube on how to use it, and what were the ideal settings, I am mostly interested in coins, as I am sure many of you are, and I have watched countless videos on youtube and all are really amazing, from coins and stuff on the beach to ww2 relics found. I think I have found a new, constructive hobby, so please feel free to give me your thoughts, and if you are nearby I would like to maybe meet up for some metal detecting, my main plan is to check out chrissy beach or some beach in San Francisco, since it is nearby. I recently metal detected at a park near fairyland and lake merritt, I only found one penny, from 1999. and some soda can tops. Thanks!!!:yes:

skryles, welcome from Salinas. You're about mid-way between the san Jose club, and the Concord club. Both good clubs with bunch of nice guys.

Back
Top Bottom