Pennsylvania State Game Lands

Gamil

Hello,

Has anyone detected on Pennsylvania State Game Lands? I e-mailed the Director and he replied that it is allowed, I went to the PA State Game Lands web site and found this regulation.

(6) Remove or attempt to remove any manmade or natural object except wildlife and fish lawfully taken. Objects which may not be removed include animals, rocks, minerals, sand and historical or archaeological artifacts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

Has anyone detected on Pennsylvania State Game Lands? I e-mailed the Director and he replied that it is allowed, I went to the PA State Game Lands web site and found this regulation.

(6) Remove or attempt to remove any manmade or natural object except wildlife and fish lawfully taken. Objects which may not be removed include animals, rocks, minerals, sand and historical or archaeological artifacts.

I have heard others complain that they were given permission to use their detector but were not allowed to dig. Sounds like the same situation to me.

I went to the local gamelands and checked myself a few months ago because I knew there were old foundations out there. I read the same thing on the regulation sign and decided that probably could be used against me by an overzealous game warden, so I wrote it off. I would say if you have written permission from the director, you have permission. I'd take the email with you in case someone questions you. Personally I think I would wait til after turkey season out of respect for the turkey hunters. Afterall it's hunting licenses that pay for the places.

I was always under the impression that the same rules applied as to the state parks. My parents home & property is bordered by 8000 acres of Penna. state game lands. Quite honestly once you go back in the woods in the areas I've been familiar with, there are very FEW souls to be concerned about. I've never heard of a problem for anyone detecting. I wouldn't make a habit of detecting during any of the hunting seasons. Some of the "newer generation" hunters may mistake you for a "Jackalope".:D

I also emailed the PGC to see what they would say. I was told that there is "no law against metal detecting per se", but the rule about removing "historic items" was pointed out to me and also a law about wearing flourescent orange during hunting season. I guess they were saying it was ok as long as I'm not removing historic items. Now the question is what constitutes a historic item? I think I am going to give it a try after turkey season, and will probably take along a bag of trash that I picked someplace else in case I'm stopped early into my hunt. I don't know how anyone could complain if you're cleaning the place up.

I know one of the local game wardens and I asked him last year about it, he read me the same rule and said it wasn't allowed. If you are able to get written permission from a "higher level" representive I'd love to have a copy of it. Although I haven't, I know others do MD on the game lands.

I have MD on some game lands, same thing, old foundations around and what not (Fort Mccord area if you care), but i did not ask the pgc, just went out.
But it made me wonder about state parks, so i emailed them and was told that basically it is up to each park where you can, and IF you are allowed you cannot use anything besides a screwdriver or ice pick to dig:shock: ,and of course the ol' line of cannot remove any historical artifact. so i would say if you have written permission, go on and MD.

I realize that this is resurecting an old post, but I believe that the definition is a historic item is one that is 100 years or older. Yeh, that sounds old, but think about it, a 1911 wheat penny is now a historic item.

I have a relative that was part of the GC, his inturpretation is that it is not allowed. If you get an over zellous guy, he may take your stuff! Personally, I have done it many times without incident.

Do not metal detect on gamelands. They have given HS students tickets for taking leaves for biology projects. The right warden will fine you and take your detector. It is not worth it. State Parks in certain areas you can detect but get a permission slip from the main office as well as State Forests. My experience with the game wardens is 50/50 some are easy going some are not and I will leave it at that.

I agree I am surrounded by state game lands so if anyone has a letter saying you can I would appreciate it if you would send me a copy too.

If you are able to get written permission from a "higher level" representive I'd love to have a copy of it. Although I haven't, I know others do MD on the game lands.

Me too. PM me when you get a copy of the written permission please. then you can email to me so I have a copy as well. The director might as well issue one for all and save himself the trouble.:yes:

oh sure you can detect on state game lands........ya just can't dig or keep your target :(

Don't even chance that. Some of the Wardens will confiscate, fine and look at that fine distinction later. As I said do not MD on PA State Game Lands. You can remove nothing except for berries and game from a State Game Land. Say your wife wants to make a wild flower bouquet if caught on gameland picking flowers she could be fined. They have little sense of humor for removal of anything. Ask the people on Http://www.huntingpa.com and they will give you an earful.

pa gamelands

There is a lot of gamelands around me and I have grown up hearing you can't do anything but hunt and everything was done for the wildlife then couple years back they cut a powerline thru the middle of it and put in a gas well so guess it only applied to the little Guy. We can't even dig a 6 in hole and fill it back in.

What the reg is saying is detect all you want just dont dig it up or take it with you. It is a lot like Flagstaff Az which say that you cannot dig at all anywhere within their city park system.

Plenty of state parks allow detecting. I have hit my local state park so hard its rediculous. I have made a killing and cleaned up a lot. I was out yesterday as usual and actually saw another person detecting an area I already went over twice. Didn't let him know though lol. Also you can go anywhere in the woods as well. Quite a few land. If I were you I would just ask your local state park. Just not mine lol

trash

Yea I've been picking up a lot of trash it makes me feel good cleaning up the place but man there's Alot of trash out there. I was detecting on lunch dehind my work around train tracks filled up a bag of garbage but man was it nice to see the 16 cents of clad I found by a cement slab that looked like a good place for a spill.

Have to sell the trash and hazardous object angle. For one thing it's all true, and they also have no idea how much MDers really haul out. It's a lot.

In a case like that where it is borderline, the administration is not hard case about it, I would look at getting access on a club level. When there is an agreement and self-policing it makes it much easier for them to say yes. I would always specify that it is for coin hunting only to begin with so they don't get spooked, then maybe bring up other items later.

Hello,

It doesn't say anything about coins or jewelry (although they are "manmade")
In New York State parks, you are supposed to turn in anything with a value of more than $20.

Back
Top Bottom