Handle options

pan4au

Elite Member
I recently purchased a SS sand scoop and am needing a handle and looking for options. I'm hoping to get to go to a NC or Fl beach in a couple of months.. I planning to hit a few fresh water beaches here in Tn. TIA

Hardware store.... get a hoe and a hardwood dowel 2' to put inside the fiberglass handle. Had mine at least 7 years. They are sealed on one end so float too.

I went to home depot, got a shovel handle for 5 dollars. I ended up having to reseal it as it soaked up saltwater and broke at the end. I sealed it in epoxy and fiberglass and seems to be going strong.

it has a 1 1/8" hole. I may go to the weekly flea market in the morning and see if I can find something there and check out some hardware stores if I can't find anything at Trade Day

Walmart post hole digger. Two handles for about $20. throw the digger part away.

Here's the way I did my scoops handle. One armed operation :

Attachments

• 2012-10-07_07.01.00.jpg
    2012-10-07_07.01.00.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 362
  • 2012-10-25_16.25.54.jpg
    2012-10-25_16.25.54.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 361
  • 2012-11-01_08.18.14.jpg
    2012-11-01_08.18.14.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 372
  • 2012-11-01_08.17.58.jpg
    2012-11-01_08.17.58.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 368
I saw those handles at Wally World today.. I couldn't tell the diameter. My next trip I'll take my calipers with me so I can get the correct size..

You didnt show a picture of your scoop..... but the reason i recommended a dowel for fiberglass, if you dont they can split from the pulling and twisting..... especially if the bolt holding them is to low. I had to modify mine even with a dowel.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 341
You didnt show a picture of your scoop..... but the reason i recommended a dowel for fiberglass, if you dont they can split from the pulling and twisting..... especially if the bolt holding them is to low. I had to modify mine even with a dowel.

I like that design dew.. Just curious. Why didn't you just glue it in there?

here's the scoop I'm getting the handle for

Attachments

• scoop.jpg
    scoop.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 330
  • Scoop.2.jpg
    Scoop.2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 317
Go to Harbor Freight and get a spade shovel with the yellow fiberglass handle and the classic D handle. Remove the blade and short wood dowel and replace a full length wood dowel in the yellow fiberglass sleeve. The shovel costs about $8 with the 20% off coupon.

I saw those handles at Wally World today.. I couldn't tell the diameter. My next trip I'll take my calipers with me so I can get the correct size..

Next time, walk it over to the hardware department and grab a tape measure. I have used tape measures off the shelf for impromptu measurements of all kinds.

Next time, walk it over to the hardware department and grab a tape measure. I have used tape measures off the shelf for impromptu measurements of all kinds.
I carry a piece of metal that I bent in a U shape that is 1 1/8" id. I check the shafts with it. Every fiberglass handle id too large. I ended up putting a hard wood shaft on the scoop. I'm going to do some water hunting this morning with it

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

I carry a piece of metal that I bent in a U shape that is 1 1/8" id. I check the shafts with it. Every fiberglass handle id too large. I ended up putting a hard wood shaft on the scoop. I'm going to do some water hunting this morning with it

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Make sure you take it out after or it will swell and rot.. Then snap off mid hunt in short order

if the handle is made of wood ..., ash wood there are a few recommendations:
1) treat with paraffin and heat to impregnate.
2) look at the picture as the correctly handle

Attachments

• 1405149491.jpg
    1405149491.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 242
here's the scoop I'm getting the handle for

One of my scoops is very similar to yours. Roughly 1 1/8" diameter shaft needed. I've been happy with hardwood handles from Home Depot. Some come from Brazil. They had some darker colored ones in the mop & broom section and lighter colored ones where other wood handles are.

I sort through them and pick one with a nice tight and consistent grain. I orient the grain lines at the cut end to be parallel with the direction of the pulling. The handles have a tapered end which someone in the lumber section will cut off for you as it is not needed.

I haven't broken one yet but I do make sure to ease up on the pull if it starts to bend much.

Edit to add: Don't be too surprised if some of the welds break on the scoop. I had the welds redone on mine. Finds someone who welds stainless steel. It is still my favorite scoop for some reason. It just seems easier to get targets than my other scoops.

One of my scoops is very similar to yours. Roughly 1 1/8" diameter shaft needed. I've been happy with hardwood handles from Home Depot. Some come from Brazil. They had some darker colored ones in the mop & broom section and lighter colored ones where other wood handles are.

I sort through them and pick one with a nice tight and consistent grain. I orient the grain lines at the cut end to be parallel with the direction of the pulling. The handles have a tapered end which someone in the lumber section will cut off for you as it is not needed.

I haven't broken one yet but I do make sure to ease up on the pull if it starts to bend much.

Edit to add: Don't be too surprised if some of the welds break on the scoop. I had the welds redone on mine. Finds someone who welds stainless steel. It is still my favorite scoop for some reason. It just seems easier to get targets than my other scoops.
I actually bought one of those from home depot a few days ago and put it on last night. I was going to go water hunting this morning but was in too much pain.. I'm hoping to get to use it tomorrow. The fresh water beach should be empty until after lunch.

Back
Top Bottom