Hanging up my detector, and picking up my camera

And there is no old biddy shaking her finger at you yelling "You can't do that here!!".

Although............When we were in London in May 2016, just after the Mayor's election, I took a picture of the temporary security check for those entering County Hall.

London%20May%206th%20%20%20%2037_zpse7iqg0ji.jpg

This "Bozo" came up to me and said I couldn't take pictures of it.
I told him "Yes I can"....and he walked away :)

London%20May%206th%20%20%20%2039_zpstuxy6kzr.jpg

Although............When we were in London in May 2016, just after the Mayor's election, I took a picture of the temporary security check for those entering County Hall.

This "Bozo" came up to me and said I couldn't take pictures of it.
I told him "Yes I can"....and he walked away :)

Wow, did that guy actually think he could stop people from taking pictures, especially since I'm sure most people nowadays carry a "camera" with them
......in their phone ! :yes:

Wait, what? You cant take pictures in a security zone?? It aint your fault he was out there with his milk dudded head directing traffic wearing cheap sunglasses and a chartreuse vest?? "Hey Everybody! Look at ME!":laughing:

Plus, I think you captured the perfect 'moon shot' betwixt the junction of light and shadows bouncing off the various meteor divits in his noggin, so that was good...Coupled with the back lit reflection glare, the damned blue velour aggregiousness of that jacket nonewithstanding...

This shot had to make a difficult focus angle for you....One has to appreciate your aperture experience and lining up the shot with correct timing behind the lens here Sir! It seldom happens, I only got it ONCE in my entire life!..(Both eyes open, here comes the shot) kind of deal...Thats what I did, and dammit for once! Did I NAIL it! 1996 Atlanta Olympics...!

I bet you had your 35mmslr rig set manual focus, and adjusted your position to match his in frame??
Mud

Attachments

• izzy.jpg
    izzy.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 338
  • IZZY..2.jpg
    IZZY..2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 377
Nice pictures Mud. At the London Olympics, they held the Mountain Bike event near us. We didn't go in, but I took quite a few pictures to capture
the occasion
The truth is, if you are standing on public land, you can take pictures of what or who you like. With perhaps the exception of children.
This is how the law stands in the UK. Obviously some people might object to you sticking your camera in their face.
When I was taking pictures of the hockey players, I was asked not to photograph one of the younger players on the opposing team, as she was
under 18yrs old. Which was fair enough. It was also on private (school) property.
There is a video on Youtube of photographers taking pictures of various buildings in London, being confronted by security people telling them to
stop what they are doing. When the police were called, they said they weren't interested.
You just need to stand your ground and not be intimidated. Also using common sense.

I took this at Brandon Country Park, in Suffolk, England.

It's a Mandarin duck. They are so colourful, that they don't look real.

Brandon%2019th%20Feb%2012_zpsecluznfo.jpg

This is a more common bird, a Dunnock. Sometimes called a Hedge Sparrow.
This was in a tree in a neighbours garden. With the telephoto lens and tele
converter, I had a focal length of 700mm. It was hand held, so thank
goodness for optical stabilization on the lens.

Birds%2021st%20Feb%2018_zpsbmnhhcgt.jpg

VERY neat photos Alan ! Thanks for sharing those ! :photo: :thumbsup:

That duck is indeed colorful, and the detail is fantastic, you could make a picture postcard out of that !

And that was a good job of getting such a clear photo of a distant sparrow, that stabilization works great !

Below is a photo from thru my back sliding glass door window from a few weeks ago of a large bird I believe to be a Black Vulture.

I was alerted to it by our dog barking at it after seeing it herself thru the back sliding glass door window :lol:

It was perched atop the light pole in our back yard. It had a very interesting pose, and it held that pose for a while.

I searched online and found out what that pose likely is for, here is the quote

"In the early mornings, vultures often will sit with their wings spread wide, increasing the surface area of their bodies so that the sun can more easily warm them. This is called the “horaltic pose”." (I think it was late afternoon when I took this photo though)

Note:
The photo was taken with a smartphone thru a sliding glass door window so it is not close up or detailed,
but not too bad considering that and also that I had to take it quick while it was still holding that pose :lol:
largebirdpose.jpg

Nice photo Gary. We haven't got as many big birds like that around here,
not close to where we live anyway. Lots of Magpies and Pigeons mostly.

On one of the photographic FB pages I visit, there's a woman from the US
who posts a lot of pictures of Bald Eagles. I've only ever seen those in
wildlife parks. I'd love to see them in the wild.

I took this at the pond in my back garden. A neighbour keeps bees, and they
come here to drink.

WOW, that is some fantastic detail in that bee photo Alan, neat !!!!

.....as an added bonus it's nice to have them around if you have a vegetable garden that needs pollinated !

I see you do astronomy Gary, that's something we do as well.
It's more my wife's interest, but it's something we do together.
We used to have a Meade ETX, but now have a 12" Dob.

Last edited:
Hello Alan,

I am an amateur photographer as well, mostly taking sports photos during my kids games. One thing I have found I like is to set the F stop as low as possible (the lens I usually use now is a Canon EF 70-200 f2.8 ISII that I picked up used). The blurred background really puts a nice focus on the action you are capturing. The only downside is that with fast sports like your field hockey photo, you sometimes end up focusing on a distant spot and having the action out of focus. But, when it is done right, I think it looks very nice.

Have fun with your new passion and best of luck!

I see you do astronomy Gary, that's something we do as well.
It's more my wife's interest, but it's something we do together.
We used to have a Meade ETX, but now have a 12" Dob.

That 12" Dob has got to be VERY nice !!!!

On a clear night it should make for some fantastic views, like of the Orion Nebula or the Andromeda galaxy among other targets .....you likely read this before but Dobs are also known as "light buckets" !

I'm a casual, occasional astronomer, I have a humble 60mm refractor, and also a pretty nice (and versatile) 4 inch wide field reflector known as an Edmund Astroscan, as well as some good binoculars.

Edmund Astroscan
astroscan_transparent_bg.jpg

Thanks for the comments people.

That's an interesting telescope Gary, I've not seen one of those.

The 12" Dob we got from friends who upgraded their telescope. It used to
be a Newtonian scope, but was converted to a Dob. We just had to pay for
the conversion costs.

Back
Top Bottom