Tesoros, Tabs and other Trash....a novel

The last gold ring that I recovered was a gold women's band, 10k.

It sounded broken and uneven. It was laying perfectly flat and was only an inch or so down, but it sounded how I had always envisioned jagged aluminum chunks sounding, fazzy and raspy.

Well, there is more to this story. I had gotten my Tesoro Golden umax out because the EMI was so bad that my new F5 was not usable. I could hear the EMI in all metal mode on the Golden, but it was running smoothly in discrim mode.

Anyhow, I think that the broken audio was due to the EMI. And I am mentioning this because if you intend to use audio clues as a ( dig - not dig ) indicator, it is important to know that the quality of the audio is negatively impacted by EMI.

Great post! Gives some insight for other detector users. I can't slide my disc lower like you can, but the logic flows. Junk like pull rings and can slaw are going to have irregular shapes and parts of them are going to be detected at different levels of discrimination, hence the change in sound or crackling. This is probably probably what shows up in the Whites V3i graphs, although that shows response over three frequencies.

I don't have a compadre, but y F2 will signal a dime when it's a COPPER penny sometimes. Maybe because a dime has some copper they ring alike?

Even my E-trac reads Memorials and Mercs very similar. Clad dimes come in 43 a lot, but mercs and memorials are almost always 44. Sometimes memorials come in as high as 46, like a quarter. Wheats usually come in lower around 39-41, like screw caps.

BTW the lighter color on the face of a dime is Cupronickel, a white brass composed of 75% Copper and 25% Nickel. US Nickels have been made of this since their inception. A fact many find suprising since they are called nickels, and only contain 25% nickel. Clad dimes and quarters have this thin layer of cupronickel on the face and back, with solid pure copper on the inside. I am suprised that they don't come in lower on the vdi and conductivity scale, than they do. If just the thin plate of cu-ni on a dime were scanned it would have to come in lower than a nickel, since it is like a narrower thin nickel. That means that the inner copper boosts it from like a beaver tail 06 to 43 on my detector. Interesting...

If you have ever found an old nickel, you will notice they often do not hold up very well in the soil. Pennies don't either, but nickels seem worse. I guess we have that to look forward to in 51 years when clad has been in the soil for 100 years, by then the copper might be considered valuable like silver...

I read all posts on several forums about techniques using the Tesoro detectors and try to remember and use them when I need to, but I have not read many that talk exactly about this sort of technique of turning past the fade out point and back, or if they do at the very least using it as much as I do.
On my Compadre I know this works tremendously, on my Vaquero it seems to work just about as well, especially when using a concentric coil over my DD which has a slightly sharper disc ability.

DIGGER27, followed a link to this post, great info. I must be doing something right because I too do this exact same thing... "turning past the fade out point and back". It works great! It's really the only way that I have been able to learn what each tone/target is, well, 90% of the time as there is always a target or two that comes in as something else. However, I still dig it but try to determine what it is before doing so. Maybe one day I'll be able to just walk on but those darn "what if's" still get the best of me. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that this technique works great for me (Tesoro Amigo) as well. Again, thank you for sharing. HH

Great info DIGGER27 ! I am Tesoro desciple, great brand and build, feather lite,
outstanding value that finds the treasure with lifetime warranty ! Made in
the USA

Thanks again.
Still using both my Tesoros this way, since I wrote this I have changed from digging the large amount of trash that I used to, to digging almost very few signals that break up before I dial down using this method.
I still dig some iffy signals that are in the nickels area...even nickels don't come in solid all the time, but unless I hear something that triggers my digging instinct in the tone most signals that break up as I dial down I leave in the dirt.
Could be missing something but I really don't care.
I still find a ton of clad, a few better older coins and I am still finding silver and gold.
I have had no experience with gold rings acting fuzzy as mentioned above, either in air testing any of mine or any I have dug in the wild.
As far as I can tell except for one site I really don't seem to have a lot of problem with EMI.
I am not saying in reality these things actually do have an effect on my hunting and finds, I just don't think they are and if there is some kind of effect I don't care.
This hobby is about fun and digging the huge amount of trash I used to dig was not fun for me anymore.
I still dig a lot, much of it will come in solid and within my digging rules, but I think I have cut out about 80% of the trash I come across.
I still seem to find more than my share of great targets doing it this way, and I find them now while digging way less trash than I used to.
Everyone should find the best way to hunt for them.
This is mine and I enjoy doing it this way.

I've been running a Tesoro Silver Sabre for over a year now and I have found that there is no setting that positively ID's any target. This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it....:D

I have learned to lower my Discrimination knob a bit and trust my gut when it comes to making the decision to dig or not to dig. I have tried with marginal success to "descrim out" trash, but it is not always proved accurate for me in some instances, and hence I don't fully trust that procedure.

I have come to "look" (with my ears) for the quality tones in my target signals. Even if they are scratchy or break up a bit, if they have a small portion of good tone at some point, I will lower and raise my settings to gain more insight. Eventually the decision to dig or not comes to play, but that's how I roll. I still dig pull tabs now and then, and most likely always will, as they can have different tones depending on the type of soil and the depth.

HDD

I've been running a Tesoro Silver Sabre for over a year now and I have found that there is no setting that positively ID's any target. This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it....:D

I have learned to lower my Discrimination knob a bit and trust my gut when it comes to making the decision to dig or not to dig. I have tried with marginal success to "descrim out" trash, but it is not always proved accurate for me in some instances, and hence I don't fully trust that procedure.

I have come to "look" (with my ears) for the quality tones in my target signals. Even if they are scratchy or break up a bit, if they have a small portion of good tone at some point, I will lower and raise my settings to gain more insight. Eventually the decision to dig or not comes to play, but that's how I roll. I still dig pull tabs now and then, and most likely always will, as they can have different tones depending on the type of soil and the depth.

HDD

There is no setting, procedure, method, technique or anything else that positively ID's any target...using a Tesoro or any unit with a screen.
The only way to positively 100% know what you are swinging over is to dig the thing.

All I am saying here is that after digging tons of targets, I mean a lot, I noticed the ones that broke up a lot as I dialed down were trash more often than not, the ones that came in with very little or no noise were usually one of two things....
Either some of the 20% of the trash still left that will act this way or an actual good target.
Not all the time for either one, but enough for me to eventually change.
I dug less trash but still found more than enough great things so I like those odds, and we are all trusting our gut when we make every decision to dig or not because nobody I know has X-Ray vision.

I still dig trash at the beginning of almost every hunt especially when I am at a new site if only to find out where the most common trash seems to be coming in.
I find there are all kinds of tabs out there and they seem to "come in" at different areas at different sites...and that is only one kind of troublesome trash.
Then there are those hated freshness seals that are everywhere.
Those are one kind of trash that don't seem to hold to these rules and are solid almost every time.
On those I know that they usually come in just a hair past the N in iron so I dig a few to make sure and then continue to dig them if I have the energy and especially if I am looking for silver or gold chains, or just make the decision to leave them in the dirt if I am tired or lose patience.
I actually figured out a way to give me a pretty good idea about these things before I dig them with a success rate that satisfies me, but figuring them out takes a bit longer than actually digging them so in the case of these stupid things that is what I usually do till I am tired if it.
Once I get an idea of what trash seems to be coming in where I base all future digging decisions for the rest of the time on that hunt
on that data.
This whole hobby us a numbers game to me, it is all about percentages and trying to find ways to dig more possible good targets and spend less energy digging probable bad ones.
Digging everything 100% of the time is the best way to be sure and overall find the most I suppose, but I just don't have the time, patience or energy to do that nowadays.
What I don't dig I don't know or care about and it took some effort but eventually I stopped letting the what ifs bother me but boy they sure used to for a long time after I started.
I still seem to find way more than my share of great targets doing it this way which I guess can be called the high percentage method.
For me the numbers seem to hold up...spending my time digging a higher amount of suspected good targets vs digging everything appears to still keep me satisfied, happy and my treasure pouch filled.
This is not for everybody, this is my way.
Like I said, all hunters should figure out what they need to do to make them happy.

There is no setting, procedure, method, technique or anything else that positively ID's any target...using a Tesoro or any unit with a screen.
The only way to positively 100% know what you are swinging over is to dig the thing.

All I am saying here is that after digging tons of targets, I mean a lot, I noticed the ones that broke up a lot as I dialed down were trash more often than not, the ones that came in with very little or no noise were usually one of two things....
Either some of the 20% of the trash still left that will act this way or an actual good target.
Not all the time for either one, but enough for me to eventually change.
I dug less trash but still found more than enough great things so I like those odds, and we are all trusting our gut when we make every decision to dig or not because nobody I know has X-Ray vision.

I still dig trash at the beginning of almost every hunt especially when I am at a new site if only to find out where the most common trash seems to be coming in.
I find there are all kinds of tabs out there and they seem to "come in" at different areas at different sites...and that is only one kind of troublesome trash.
Then there are those hated freshness seals that are everywhere.
Those are one kind of trash that don't seem to hold to these rules and are solid almost every time.
On those I know that they usually come in just a hair past the N in iron so I dig a few to make sure and then continue to dig them if I have the energy and especially if I am looking for silver or gold chains, or just make the decision to leave them in the dirt if I am tired or lose patience.
I actually figured out a way to give me a pretty good idea about these things before I dig them with a success rate that satisfies me, but figuring them out takes a bit longer than actually digging them so in the case of these stupid things that is what I usually do till I am tired if it.
Once I get an idea of what trash seems to be coming in where I base all future digging decisions for the rest of the time on that hunt
on that data.
This whole hobby us a numbers game to me, it is all about percentages and trying to find ways to dig more possible good targets and spend less energy digging probable bad ones.
Digging everything 100% of the time is the best way to be sure and overall find the most I suppose, but I just don't have the time, patience or energy to do that nowadays.
What I don't dig I don't know or care about and it took some effort but eventually I stopped letting the what ifs bother me but boy they sure used to for a long time after I started.
I still seem to find way more than my share of great targets doing it this way which I guess can be called the high percentage method.
For me the numbers seem to hold up...spending my time digging a higher amount of suspected good targets vs digging everything appears to still keep me satisfied, happy and my treasure pouch filled.
This is not for everybody, this is my way.
Like I said, all hunters should figure out what they need to do to make them happy.

Just to be clear, I am not disagreeing with your comments, my response was just an attempt to answer your original post with my limited experience in the hobby so far. Like many others, I believe your posts are good sources of information and I appreciate learning from them. Unfortunately, I am one of those who has to re read everything 10 times to fully understand the point/s being made. And if I have slept since I read something, it is practically as if I never read it at all anyway....:p

I totally agree about MDing, being a numbers game. It is my opinion that without having a mentor with me on each and every hunt, I am forced to learn on my own, and can only learn as quickly as my attention span and or the ability to focus on the details will permit.

HDD

Just to be clear, I am not disagreeing with your comments, my response was just an attempt to answer your original post with my limited experience in the hobby so far. Like many others, I believe your posts are good sources of information and I appreciate learning from them. Unfortunately, I am one of those who has to re read everything 10 times to fully understand the point/s being made. And if I have slept since I read something, it is practically as if I never read it at all anyway....:p

I totally agree about MDing, being a numbers game. It is my opinion that without having a mentor with me on each and every hunt, I am forced to learn on my own, and can only learn as quickly as my attention span and or the ability to focus on the details will permit.

HDD

No offense taken at all!
Just using your comment to clarify my position, that's all.
As far as mentors I have many and they are all over on several forums.
There is no way I would have been in the position I am right now with all my treasures, great experiences hunting with others I have met, and the knowledge I possess if I didn't do so much reading and studying.
On top of what I learned I go out in the field and try it all and then experiment with it to see what works for me then I tweak these methods if I can to use in my specific sites and situations.
For example I didn't invent this dial past the target and back down method, I read about it somewhere, tried it and went from there.
Once in awhile I come up with my own little techniques and methods that work, when they do I always write about them so that others that might want to try them for themselves if they like.

There is a huge amount of info and help on the net, just keep searching, reading and trying new things and have patience.
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Digger 27 is the man again

This guy wrote the book on the Fisher F2, and now shares tricks on taking advantage of Tesoros outstanding discrimination. I have a silver umax, and will be trying the 'digger27 turn down method,' maybe even tomorrow.:yes:

This guy wrote the book on the Fisher F2, and now shares tricks on taking advantage of Tesoros outstanding discrimination. I have a silver umax, and will be trying the 'digger27 turn down method,' maybe even tomorrow.:yes:

Thanks...and thanks for resurrecting this thread.
I still use my Tesoros from time to time, especially the Compadre because it is still so much fun.
I still use this dial up-dial back thumbing method on every target, still listen closely to how the target comes in and nowadays only dig the more solid ones.
I have cut out a huge amount of trash that I used to dig and still find more than my share of quality targets.
Sometimes surprising targets.
Last October I found this thing in a very old land trashy park, it was surrounded by trash but the Compadre still picked it out clean as a whistle using this method.
Smallest silver ring I have ever found, smallest ring of any kind, really.
POINT three grams.
Loud and clear on the little C.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=201661

Attachments

• PicsArt_1440924366459.jpg
    PicsArt_1440924366459.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 376
  • PicsArt_1440924789169.jpg
    PicsArt_1440924789169.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 373
I have just ordered a Tesoro Outlaw and was going to try the raise the coil method for good or bad sound like was demonstrated with the Tesoro Silver Umax on You Tube. Has anybody tried this or does it just work on Umax series?

I have just ordered a Tesoro Outlaw and was going to try the raise the coil method for good or bad sound like was demonstrated with the Tesoro Silver Umax on You Tube. Has anybody tried this or does it just work on Umax series?

If you mean raising the coil to the fade out point and listening to see if it breaks up near the end or just goes away clean...I do that and it seems to work on most of the Tesoros as far as I know.

Keep in mind not everything is 100% all the time.
Not my methods, all the other tips and tricks or anything else.
All of these methods are great for narrowing down target types, raising your percentages about guessing what your targets might be slightly higher and are all very helpful for those of us that take the little extra time to do it this way instead of just digging immediately after any beep.
Making educated guesses about targets before I dig is actually a big part of the fun for me when using my Tesoros.
Still, no matter if you use Tesoros or anything else including the tip top of the line expensive detectors with screens nobody ever really knows what is hiding in the ground until you dig it up and see.

With my Tesoro detectors I can almost always tell gold wedding bands from trash and pull tabs, but I have some trouble telling trash and pull tabs from gold wedding bands, so I dig a lot of trash and pull tabs.

beephead

At 68 years of age, my strategy is simple. On days it isn't uncomfortable to bend over, I recover lots of trash- other days...…well.:laughing:

Dave,

At the bottom of your thread-starter post #1, where you say "On my Compadre I know this works tremendously, on my Vaquero it seems to work just about as well, especially when using a concentric coil over my DD which has a slightly sharper disc ability. ", please confirm...did you mean the concentric or the DD coil has the slightly sharper disc ability ? I'm thinking you meant the concentric...correct ?

Thanks,
Todd

Dave,

At the bottom of your thread-starter post #1, where you say "On my Compadre I know this works tremendously, on my Vaquero it seems to work just about as well, especially when using a concentric coil over my DD which has a slightly sharper disc ability. ", please confirm...did you mean the concentric or the DD coil has the slightly sharper disc ability ? I'm thinking you meant the concentric...correct ?

Thanks,
Todd

Yes, concentrics are always the more precise of the two, that's why pop tops are more of a problem on a DD where using a concentric they are a non issue.

Back
Top Bottom