Traveling to Jamaica? A MUST READ!

.... and had no problem swinging a coil in or out of the water.

And to me, that sounds like the perfect legality. If no one cares, then no one cares. No need to go asking silly questions, of bored pencil pushers.

Try asking for forgiveness instead of permission metal detecting in Saudi Arabia.:laughing:

Very true, I detect the local parks along with many other diggers and many of us seldom have a cop bother us. I was in the township building and asked the proper person for permission to detect a certain vacant lot off the beaten path that the township owns. I was given the ok and in the chit-chat I mentioned parks and the guy said "for heavens sakes not the parks, the cops will get you". Clearly if anyone asks this guy if it is ok to detect the park he will say no even though there are now laws against it in our township.

You just said the difference between the two. There is a difference between knowing what the actual law is and what someone tells you.

If you ask a archaeologist for permission it doesn't matter what their opinion is. Matter's what the law is. It's not really even a gray area. I don't care what they think of my holes or what I may do to disrupt a site. I care about if I am obeying the law. Could care less what they think.

Last edited:
.... If you ask a archaeologist for permission it doesn't matter what their opinion is. Matter's what the law is. It's not really even a gray area....

I agree with you that .... if an archie doesn't like md'rs, they can just go pound sand ! :laughing: And the less they think of me & the less they see me, the better. Some people might call that "sneaking around". Fine then: Sneak around.

However, regarding what you're saying: If your "pressing question" crosses their desk, and they will, of course, say "no" . Even when there's no specific law that says : "No md'ing". And while you and I might agree that they can go pound sand, don't forget: When they pass back that "no", they WILL cite laws that ..... in their opinion, result in a "no". Namely: The boiler plate cultural heritage minutia. So in their mind's eyes, it's not "commentary". It's not mere "opinion". In their mind's eyes, it IS "law".

Naturally, I would agree with this conclusion of theirs, for around obvious historic sensitive monuments. But when it comes to cellar holes or defunct camp sites, or stage stops, etc... that are in the middle of nowhere, then .... they can go pound sand.

Last edited:
No. Am not going to skirt payroll taxes by giving my employees "gifts". Based on your sage advice, I've decided against this idea :cool:

However, based on your information, what would stop an employer and employee from cooperating together, to pull off such a stunt ? I mean, that saves the employee taxes, and saves the employer taxes. In the same way that "gifts" from a one friend to another are tax free, and since my employees are also my "friends", then .... that would seem like a win-win. Eh ?

I recall, years ago, getting ready to give my employees their Christmas bonuses: A few crisp Benjamins tucked into their Christmas cards. My accountant told me that this would also be subject to payroll tax. So I just ... uh ... "laundered" it in another fashion (chalked the petty cash up to some other expense) and handed out the "gifts" anyhow.

But no .... I'm not planning on doing it.

Glad to hear you have decided against it. We may butt heads from time to time, but I wouldn't wish the IRS on you.
Or pretty much anyone that isn't a career criminal for that matter.

So did you think of any time you have personally flaunted the laws/rules of a 3rd world country, Tom. Ever?

Try asking for forgiveness instead of permission metal detecting in Saudi Arabia.:laughing:

You just said the difference between the two. There is a difference between knowing what the actual law is and what someone tells you.

If you ask a archaeologist for permission it doesn't matter what their opinion is. Matter's what the law is. It's not really even a gray area. I don't care what they think of my holes or what I may do to disrupt a site. I care about if I am obeying the law. Could care less what they think.

Amen, brother.

But I recognize that there are individuals out there that consider the Risk v Reward differently than I see it. But folks, always make an Informed Decision; not one based on some anon face on the internet urging you to do this or that.

Last edited:
You are definitely a good sport, K-in-TN :cool:

....So did you think of any time you have personally flaunted the laws/rules of a 3rd world country, Tom. Ever?...

Good question. I'm 57, self-employed, .... on the verge of planning retirement. To sell off to my key-people, and spend my retirement years, while my legs are still good, and the budget allows, to ply my luck at exotic places.

I have in-laws in Europe (d/t my sister married a French immigrant). And have had long conversations with them about the "old world" @ various countries like France, Italy, etc... And I knew a fellow, when I was young in my 20's or early 30s, who had hunted field in Romania (long story). And I bumped into some GI's who were at the iron curtain when it fell in 1989. They were stationed in Berlin, and crossed into the former iron curtain countries, and were hitting virgin parks.

And, now with the advent of the internet, we see tantalizing stories of persons hitting virgin beaches, or roman villa fields that have never been hunted. So my dream now, is to do multiple whirlwind trips to multiple countries.

But then there's this pesky dilemma of "laws". Or as you say, 3rd world vs 2nd world vs 1st world, etc.... haha. I guess you will see my show & tell, if you hang around for a few more years :)

If I'm still alive, I'll be here. Looking forward to your adventures and hope to see many pics of rare and valuable finds.

I have one of my customers that is from Jamaica and I had asked if he every went back to visit because I knew he had some family property. He told me no way because everyone knows he is an American now and he would be taken and kidnapped or held up for everything they had. He told me a couple of stories of other people that had this happen to them and this was even by some of their family members.

I took Jamaica off my list of Island to every visit.

Ray

RayK and Jim 53: I would never visit or walk through Central park, NYC, in the USA, at 11pm on any-given-Saturday PM, either . Because : It is, statistically .... the most obvious place to get mugged. Durned those NYC people anyhow.

WHO CARES!!!

GRAB YOUR DETAINED DETECTOR, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN TO THE NEAREST BEACH AND START DETECTING!!! THE SIGN DOESN'T SAY YOU CAN'T DETECT WITH A STOLEN DETAINED DETECTOR. THE ONES ON THE SIGN ARE JUST REGULAR DETECTORS YOU BROUGHT WITH YOU

RIGHT Tom in CA?

... RIGHT Tom in CA?

Right. And those durned bureaucrat navy seal commando archies, that ... most assuredly wait behind every bush, to "jump out and accost you", can just go pound sand !

If your hands get chopped off (which, assuredly ... is imminent), then ... who needed those hands anyhow ? And if your jail cell is with "bubba", well gee, maybe Bubba isn't so bad looking after all, eh ?

See ? You have to look at the bright side ! :laughing:

Just came back from Jamaica. I can tell you WITHOUT A DOUBT that there were ZERO custom's agents checking bags for metal detectors (or anything else), when I got off the ship.

We walked out, they looked for our badge to make sure we were with a cruise line, and when we came back in, we only had to show our cruise badge. No bag checks or anything.

I personally wouldn't stop trying to come into a cruise port with one. Airports are a different ballgame...

That being said, there wasn't exactly a lot of "Jamaica" beach I would have wanted to detect. In fact, I didn't even consider it a stop I wanted to make with the detector. It would have stayed on the ship, anyway!

Skippy

Interesting news but it doesnt surprise me. Either way, my wife and I are planning a cruise soon so thats good if Jamaica is on the list of stops. Thanks for the update.

well that suks i was gonna go back there when i could afford it thats where my wife and i got married but not going back there if i cant detect :lol::lol:

I'm not a fan of Jamaica at all unless I'm just sticking to the all inclusive resort with upside down booze bottle dispensers in the room.:lol:

Just came back from Jamaica. I can tell you WITHOUT A DOUBT that there were ZERO custom's agents checking bags for metal detectors (or anything else), when I got off the ship....

Kind of reminds me of persons who "fretted" about bring old coins back to the USA from other countries. (That, for sake-of-argument, let's say had some rules/laws about md'ing). And the md'r "frets" that someone might ask about some old coin(s), and thus (gasp) fall afoul of cultural heritage export issues.

And a part of me is thinking "Gee ? Since when does the airline (even @ transcontinental flights) fish through your underwear compartment in your luggage ??

I'd venture to say that ... even @ intercontinental airline travel , that the things they are looking for is A) weapons/explosives, and B) Drugs. I highly doubt anyone cares less about an electronic device of ANY nature. (Eg.: laptop computer, instrument, medical device, detector, etc...). Nor is anyone going to be fishing through your underwear compartment studying the dates on coins that might be in there.

Kind of reminds me of persons who "fretted" about bring old coins back to the USA from other countries. (That, for sake-of-argument, let's say had some rules/laws about md'ing). And the md'r "frets" that someone might ask about some old coin(s), and thus (gasp) fall afoul of cultural heritage export issues.

And a part of me is thinking "Gee ? Since when does the airline (even @ transcontinental flights) fish through your underwear compartment in your luggage ??

I'd venture to say that ... even @ intercontinental airline travel , that the things they are looking for is A) weapons/explosives, and B) Drugs. I highly doubt anyone cares less about an electronic device of ANY nature. (Eg.: laptop computer, instrument, medical device, detector, etc...). Nor is anyone going to be fishing through your underwear compartment studying the dates on coins that might be in there.

@Tom - You don't fly internationally much do you? Most customs and border security agents/screenors are actively looking for prohibited items. When they find things it justifies their job. My and my wife's "underwear compartment" has been thoroughly searched twice recently.

I wrote an e-mail to the tourism board telling them I would not travel there again because of this.

Back
Top Bottom