Minelab safari

whynot

Hey guy I have a Safari on its way will be here Tuesday just wanted to tips, and any info from any of you guys that are using one or have used one. thanks
oh and where can I get a good deal on a rechargeable battery pack for it.. thanks
mike

I don't have much infor myself, though i am ordering one soon too!

I look forward to reading and seeing the replies :)

explorerxsbarberdime013.jpg

If the Safari target ID is anything like my Explorer XS, dig the high flutey or high pitch solid tones with ID of 28 and above. Here is a Barber dime as I ran it past the loop of my XS.

Wait, the Safari ID is different. I just looked at the owner's manuals of both machines. On the XS the ID numbers run from 1 to 32. On the Safari the ID numbers run from -10 to +40. I know the Safari in Coins & Jewelry rejects everything from -10 to -1. So gold jewelry can range from the low to mid numbers and silver will be the higher numbers. Low conductivity are the low tones, high conductivity are the high tones. The Safari patterns are different than the Explorer XS too, the Safari seems to show a bar graph. If you have a Barber dime I would wave that in front of the coil and remember that number, then dig that tone & ID and higher if you want silver coins. If you want gold jewelry you'll have to dig all numbers and tones.

5exceleratorminelab015.jpg

One more thing, if you want to work tot lots, picnic tables, sand or dirt parking lots, sidewalk strips, cellar holes, or anywhere else there is bound to be lots of trash and you want better separation the 6" DD Excelerator is sweet. I would get another lower rod too, it makes coil changes easy.

Thanks Nittany1 this info,do you use disposable batteries,I was thinking of buying some of the rechargeable packs if I can find a good deal on them.. happy hunting thanks
mike

Yes, thanks nitt!
I too am following the information provided on this thread :)

Yes, thanks nitt!
I too am following the information provided on this thread :)

OzOne did you purchase a Safari or thinking about it? I cant wait to get out with it, I want to set it up with wireless headphones if it is possible.I had a etrac but I didnt like the the way it showed the numbers 12-44 and I just need one set lol

I really liked my f75 ltd also but just want to try something else out hope it isnt as chatty as the f75 will see soon. happy hunting
mike

Just for the record a barber dime will (should) read 38 on the Safari. The best advice I can give you in regards to the Safari is to buy Andy Sabisch's Quattro & Safari Handbook, it will pretty much tell you everything you will need to know about the Safari. Because of how fast the Safari goes through batteries, it is highly recommended that you use some type of rechargable batteries. I keep 16 on hand and fully charged at all times, that way if I were to forget to recharge them from the day before, there are still 8 fully charged ones to fall back on if needed. It is helpful to have 2 chargers that hold 4 AA batteries each, that way you can charge 8 at a time. Many of us find that the 11" Pro coil is the only one we need for the Safari as it has excellent separation abilities for being a large coil. If you are going to be hunting a lot of iron or trash infested sites, then a smaller coil such as the 6x8" SEF coil might work best. If you don't like looking at the target icons being shown on your screen, they can easily be eliminated by "cross-saving" the coin or the coin and jewelry mode to either the relic or all-metal mode. Because of the Safari's large DD coil, it is best when pinpointing a target to swing over it from two different directions so as to get your most accurate pinpoint. For better depth, manually set your sensitivity rather than use the auto mode. Most of us run our trash density set on the high setting which is your factory preset position. One last thing, the Safari should be swung a little slower than most other detectors to get best results.

OzOne did you purchase a Safari or thinking about it? I cant wait to get out with it, I want to set it up with wireless headphones if it is possible.I had a etrac but I didnt like the the way it showed the numbers 12-44 and I just need one set lol

I really liked my f75 ltd also but just want to try something else out hope it isnt as chatty as the f75 will see soon. happy hunting
mike

I am ordering mine tomorrow!! SOOO Excited!!! i will share my thoughts with you as soon as I get out with it!

Thanks Nittany1 this info,do you use disposable batteries,I was thinking of buying some of the rechargeable packs if I can find a good deal on them.. happy hunting thanks
mike

minelabexplorerxs015.jpg

Mike,

I have both the Ni-MH and the AA battery packs but right now I only use the AA battery pack because I don't have the wall charger for the Ni-MH, only the car charger and it's in poor shape. If you want a good price on the battery packs and chargers I would talk to forum supporter Chuck at Indian Nations detectors. He's got all Minelab accessories at good prices including batteries.

http://www.indiannationsdetectors.com/parts.html

Regards, Tom

safari...excellent discriminator

I've used one for 2 years. Running the C & J program, I dig very little trash. I do not get fatigued from the audio. Pleasant mellow tones. If I am in an area with not much trash, I run in all metal, and listen for the higher tones, as its audio is multi tone in all metal, and the prossessor is very fast. In the disc mode , the audio goes silent when over discriminated trash, which I find less fatigueing on a long hunt. I use the 6x8 coil in hi trash, but the procoil does a great job seperating in mild trash areas. Bury a few targets first, get used to the machine. have fun

Back
Top Bottom