Usa eagle flat button id

louie088

Elite Member
Hi everyone.
Just posting this USA eagle flat button in hopes of getting a positive ID on this little guy.

Description:
Small cuff size, flat.

Face:
"United States of America" "E Pluribus Unum"
Eagle is older style holding shield

Rear:
*SUPERFINE*COLOUR

It was found with allot of other late 1700's early 1800's flat buttons.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
GL&HH

Attachments

• IMG_0278.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,142
  • IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 847
  • IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:
What are the words on the button? I can't exactly make them out. Thanks. I'll post a link for a website I found that might be useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found a button that looks like yours. It is a U.S. Official. If it is the correct one, the face should say "E Pluribus Unum". Try to get the writing on both the face and the back. Then we can verify if, in fact, your button is as shown or not. The button I found is in Albert's book on page 297, button OD 9.

I found a button that looks like yours. It is a U.S. Official. If it is the correct one, the face should say "E Pluribus Unum". Try to get the writing on both the face and the back. Then we can verify if, in fact, your button is as shown or not. The button I found is in Albert's book on page 297, button OD 9.

Thanks duggap!
The writing on the read says Superfine Colour and also has the "E Pluribus Unum" in the banner above the eagle. Whats a U.S. Offical? Thanks so much!

All the book says is "Official and Diplomatic Service". He says "In the early days of our country, the members of the diplomatic corps usually dressed in military costume." He states later "research indicates that many of them were used also by the armed forces."

All the book says is "Official and Diplomatic Service". He says "In the early days of our country, the members of the diplomatic corps usually dressed in military costume." He states later "research indicates that many of them were used also by the armed forces."

Wow very interesting! I have to get that book.
Does it say a date range?
Thanks for your help!

My first impression old be military uniform button, how ever uniform buttons did not have words on them, at least not like this example. So I would think maybe something commercially produced as some sort of patriotic display.

My first impression old be military uniform button, how ever uniform buttons did not have words on them, at least not like this example. So I would think maybe something commercially produced as some sort of patriotic display.

I did notice the only close examples I found if this button had stars around the eagle and not the "United States of America".
Have not come across an with the USA.
Interesting.
Thank you

Thats awesome! Thanks for the ID everyone! Any advice on preservation? Not sure of the composition or it, maybe copper or brass. Also it still has the dirt on it..I kinda like it like that.
Thanks again
GL&HH

Thank you again everyone for help with the ID!
That little guy made the front Cover of American Digger Magazine! Pretty cool!:D

Attachments

• IMG_0729 copy.jpg
    IMG_0729 copy.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_0728 copy.jpg
    IMG_0728 copy.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 459
Back
Top Bottom