What to do with common silver coins?

That seems pretty pointless to me. With American coinage, you already have a verified purity. Plus they have a slight added numismatic value. Melting them down is just a pointless waste of money and American history in my opinion.
For me, that would only work with truly 'junk' silver coinage. I have a large bag of bent, cut, gouged, large-holed failed coin-ring attempts, unidentifiable slicks...etc...coins with no numismatic value whatsoever. Would be kind of cool to have a bar made out of that. Otherwise, no-no.

That seems pretty pointless to me. With American coinage, you already have a verified purity. Plus they have a slight added numismatic value. Melting them down is just a pointless waste of money and American history in my opinion.

Ooh boy are we on the same page... Until it is a faceless, dateless, mint-mark-less slug... It's worthy. There is a HUGE motivation in preserving our American history that indeed drives my coin collecting.

That's how I do it as well. I put all my dug silvers in coin holders. The stuff I buy goes in organiser boxes.

In any capitalist republic, the history of our money, is indeed equal to the history of our republic.

I have a lot of junk silver I am hoarding for the future....I figure in 20 years or so when all my kids are grown and on their own my wife and I are gonna take a cruise or something big.....all my good coins....gold, better date silver and coppers, I have locked in a safe and I will leave them to my kids once im 6 feet down, what they do with them is up to them.

I did not advocate the practice, and have never done it myself. The fact is we're talking about non-rare coins that on the open market are only valued based on their weight and purity. If you can get a coin collector to buy a busted up GW quarter for more than melt value, then more power to you. There is and never will be a shortage of common date mercury dimes, kennedy halves, etc, etc. The open market considers them raw material.

He said he would have a hard time doing that to coins, but jewelry....

He said he would have a hard time doing that to coins, but jewelry....

"Junk silver" as a commodity trades/sells easy enough so i don't think much of it ever really seems a smelter. The 40% half dollars I know hit the smelter for sure, along with silverware etc. but there is a premium on junk silver when its sold in bulk so most places just move it. At least, that has been my experience.

"Junk silver" as a commodity trades/sells easy enough so i don't think much of it ever really seems a smelter. The 40% half dollars I know hit the smelter for sure, along with silverware etc. but there is a premium on junk silver when its sold in bulk so most places just move it. At least, that has been my experience.
Interesting. I have been steadily collecting over the last 10 years, since right before the last run-up in the value of silver. I have never seen 90% silver sold at spot until recently, by the big name vendors. I have also never seen 40% halves sold at spot. My LCS makes good money on premiums and he never sits on junk silver. Personally, I don't think much even makes it to the smelter, it just changes hands.

Back
Top Bottom