• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

This morning's hunt yields 2 rings and a lot of pesos.

Walrus350

Elite Member
It was a nice surprise to learn the exchange rate of 1,000 peso dollars to USD, but I'm not sure if it's current currency.
*edit- it's old currency and isn't worth anything. Gah!
A little copper ring, Tungsten ring and a couple bucks in clad sums up my 4th of July hunt.

Also got to see a grunion run and no less than 5 other detectors.

GL HH. :cheers:

Attachments

• IRS20190705_212830.jpg
    IRS20190705_212830.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 452
  • IRS20190705_214203.jpg
    IRS20190705_214203.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 436
  • IRS20190705_214225.jpg
    IRS20190705_214225.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Good to see some CA posts. Although: Whomever invented Tungsten as a substitute for gold rings, should be shot ! :laughing:

Good to see some CA posts. Although: Whomever invented Tungsten as a substitute for gold rings, should be shot ! :laughing:

I think people who spend $300-$500 on a tungsten ring, are idiots.

LOL
EDIT: And it turns out there are a lot of idiots.

As for the ones that are $10 or less, I equate that with costume jewelry. I don't get too worked up over finding Avon... why should I care about Tungsten?

Skippy

I think people who spend $300-$500 on a tungsten ring, are idiots....

It's bad enough that the intrinsic melt value of gold or platinum, in the jewelry store, is 50x the melt value. But with tungsten, it's even worse . Ie.: you might as well toss it in the garbage can. And good luck trying to find an after-market buyer who'll buy it as a ring-to-wear.

I think the psychological logic is the same as gold or platinum : Even though it's true that you can buy a gold band for a fraction of the cost, at a "buy/swell/scrap/melt" store, yet .... everyone (especially women) will not lower-themselves to that . Ie.: to buy a "used" wedding ring is considered low dignity, or whatever.

It makes no sense. But to some people, they simply will not buy a "used" car, or a "used ring", blah blah. There's something sentimental about paying full-price, to a high-end store with shiny glass counters, blah blah

It's bad enough that the intrinsic melt value of gold or platinum, in the jewelry store, is 50x the melt value. But with tungsten, it's even worse . Ie.: you might as well toss it in the garbage can. And good luck trying to find an after-market buyer who'll buy it as a ring-to-wear.

I think the psychological logic is the same as gold or platinum : Even though it's true that you can buy a gold band for a fraction of the cost, at a "buy/swell/scrap/melt" store, yet .... everyone (especially women) will not lower-themselves to that . Ie.: to buy a "used" wedding ring is considered low dignity, or whatever.

It makes no sense. But to some people, they simply will not buy a "used" car, or a "used ring", blah blah. There's something sentimental about paying full-price, to a high-end store with shiny glass counters, blah blah

Yep. Nailed it with the "blah blah." :)

I've found, though that plain gold rings often are priced only about 3x-4x more (not 50x). Which is at least somewhat reasonable. Compare that to overseas, though, and people buy gold for the gold. 22K gold items will have a premium of less than 5-10%, usually. America... land of opportunity!

Hey at least you got some rings, either one of them could have been gold :yes:

In regards to the floater, wonder If it was used to cross the border :shock:

Damn, forgot about the grunion runs. Gotta get my boys out to see one of those...… Nice finds too!!!! ;)

Back
Top Bottom