Church of the Compadre...

Took my Compadre to church today...

I had searched my church grounds before and on my first hunt found a silver war nickel that was in really good shape. Today, I asked if I could search around the minister's house next door that dates to about 1900. I dug mostly trash but managed to find some clad, two wheats and my first two V nickels ever! One is pretty crusty and I think it's an 1893. The other one is a 1911 and has pretty good details. They're both soaking right now and I plan on cleaning them up using the Brillo pad method I saw in a few other threads. I also found a few older bullets and a rabies vaccination tag from Ft. Dodge dated 1957. Finally had a decent day of hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_8663.jpg
    IMG_8663.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_8664.jpg
    IMG_8664.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 581
Here's my official application for a Compadre Church Pew Location. I lurked on this forum and viewed quite a few videos to know that I had chosen the best starter rig for my money. My Compadre arrived last night as my first ever detector.

A quick test hunt in my front yard yielded the elusive and probably indescribably valuable "Square-Head" bolt. Assayers are standing by. :laughing:

I'm sure my finds will get better with experience (hint: it's not the Compadre's fault).

I'd been a backslider, but had the Compadre out today, and it served me well, as always :cool:

Welcome to the Church Brother :cool:

New guy has to buy the 1st round for the entire Church. :yes:

New applicant

Ok guys, this Boston Yankee is submittimg an application to the church. My Compadre comes in Tomorrow...

Been taking my coin check/3D modded compadre on work trips lately.
Never ceases to find the good stuff!

VIVA COMPADRE!! :bling:

Some keepers from my last work road trip.
It's not a buff but it's my oldest nickel so far.
Not sure if the disc is a token or foreign coin?
Slightly larger than a US cent?
Was using my 5.75 Compadre with the 3D coin check

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 377
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 381
I am looking to get into the hobby. Thinking about buying a Compadre as my learning detector. I like the old school look and simplicity. I’m on a bit of a budget, so need to pick up a decent pointer, digger etc as well. Can’t wait to get started. I was leaning toward a detector with more bells and whistles at first, but after watching some videos decided that I think I want to try and get the simpler machine and learn it very well. Nice to meet you all.

I am looking to get into the hobby. Thinking about buying a Compadre as my learning detector. I like the old school look and simplicity. I’m on a bit of a budget, so need to pick up a decent pointer, digger etc as well. Can’t wait to get started. I was leaning toward a detector with more bells and whistles at first, but after watching some videos decided that I think I want to try and get the simpler machine and learn it very well. Nice to meet you all.

It's definitely a great way to start. You can get a detector pinpointer digger and a bag for less than $300. The compadre will always have a useful niche in playgrounds and such even after you move on o a more advanced detector. Lots of good posts and videos that will teach you how to ID targets using the discrimination knob. You can even start with the discrimination at max and it will only detect coins and matchbox cars , unfortunately also smashed soda cans but you can quickly get a feel for the detector that way.

Good luck and welcome to the treasure addiction!

Noah

Ready to add a coin check/notch to mine!:cool:

iu

Won't find a better detector for the money, and no one has a warranty that comes close.

They make great 1st detectors, then once you decide on an upgrade, you have a back-up, loaner, and something to leave in the trunk in case you happen across a spur of the moment spot to hunt.

I have seen the light my brothers!! I've had several nice machines but had to sell off the herd last winter to feed the dog... Picked up this old 7" beauty for a song.
I've read many times about the "magic" packed in these things and the awesomeness that is the Tesoro discrimination circuit. Its perfect for a cherry picking speed sweeper to cover those sidewalk edges, curb strips and clotheslines on a new permission before getting out the deep weaponry. 2 quick runs with the disc. cranked netted a nice little group of coins including a silver with around an hour total use time! I'll be holding on to this little beaut regardless what comes in as the go to. Tejon maybe...????

Attachments

• compadre shrunk.jpg
    compadre shrunk.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 297
I guess I'm in. New member but I have a 5.75 inch coil model. Looking forward to choir try-outs.

So I took mine out for an hour to a local park. Was actually my first time using it. I took it in trade for one of my spare turntables/record players from my other hobby. Went to the sand volleyball courts and wasn't finding anything. The I noticed a set of footprints the traveled up and down in a suspicious pattern. Yep, these courts had already been hit this morning.

I noted that there were no tracks outside of the actual playing court, so I hit those areas. Didn't find much. Some iron bits, some foil. But I was able to find this pair of earrings that look like they had been there for a while. They were in separate holes about 8 feet apart and about 4 inches down. Very small and I am thinking they are a child's' pair. Not sure what the posts are made of. So...I guess this Compadre has been baptized.

Attachments

• -2.jpg
    -2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 220
So I took mine out for an hour to a local park. Was actually my first time using it. I took it in trade for one of my spare turntables/record players from my other hobby. Went to the sand volleyball courts and wasn't finding anything. The I noticed a set of footprints the traveled up and down in a suspicious pattern. Yep, these courts had already been hit this morning.

I noted that there were no tracks outside of the actual playing court, so I hit those areas. Didn't find much. Some iron bits, some foil. But I was able to find this pair of earrings that look like they had been there for a while. They were in separate holes about 8 feet apart and about 4 inches down. Very small and I am thinking they are a child's' pair. Not sure what the posts are made of. So...I guess this Compadre has been baptized.

The Compadre is amazing at hitting small targets as you are finding out!

Coin magnite

OK, so I have been hunting with disc just about at the R in IRON and iron is kinda broken as a sound so I can find gold stuff. But, I also have another detector with VDI and am able to use it to detect gold and coins and it's really accurate on the numbers. With the other detector I used the tone break as my sound descriminator with the disc all the way off. I was in a place with so much metal trash that I just figured with the other detector I would hunt this site for coins at first and then go for gold once I found all the coins. Then I got the idea that I could maybe set up the Compadre to do the same thing. I set the disc at just a hair below the zinc penny setting to make those hit clean and went to the same places. Man, coin after coin came out of the ground. I couldn't believe it. The Compadre was silent until it hit on something. And, I dug no junk, none. I had to stop because I ran out of time. I walked away with a fist full of coins! What happened? My other unit must have been fooled by some kind of masking? Well, then I set the disc for just a hair below foil where a nickle seemed to really hit well. A few hits and thumbing of the knob to be sure it was a nickle and bam, 3 nickles in a row. My praise to the great Compadre and it's super powers sang out with a Wooo Hooo! It was sooo fun to keep hitting all those coins and never once dig trash. Amazing, I would seem to hit bottle caps repeatedly with the other detector I have. I even waived the Compadre over a cap just to be sure something wasn't wrong. Nope, no sound, then over a penny, beeeep. OK, from now on, why waste time with anything else when going to the trash places looking for coins and silver? Sure, someone may say, well, you're missing the GOLD! I probably am, however, sometimes I just want to find stuff like coins or silver. Man, silver can NOT be discriminated out and that is fantastic. Hunt for silver stuff all day without picking up any trash. That's cool. So, now I understand even more about it's super powers. I never will sell it. It's too good to let go!!

Back
Top Bottom