Salton Lake

geo.

I watched a show on television about a large man made lake in California named Salton Lake. The Lake was a fresh water lake and a great fishing hole, as there wasnt any prediters to hold down the fish population. The lake was so well liked for recreation that small towns sprang up along the lake. One day hundreds of fish started to die every day, and hundreds of birds were showing up dead also. The lake was filling up with salts and insecticides from irrigated crop lands in the desert. The lake was ruined and everyone abandoned their vacation property. With all of the abandoned homes around this big lake, it seems as though this would be a prime spot to run a metal detector over. Has anyone on the forum from California tried to metal detect these properties?

I've been there before. It's by Palm Springs, one thing to take into consideration is that the lake was man made in the 20th century. It was a break off from the Colorado river, so before that it was just dry land. Supposedly there was a ship during the gold rush that wrecked and dumped a bunch of gold in the area. I would definitely take a trip there, there is a lot of rich history pertaining to the california gold rush.

Its called the Mysterious Lost Ship Of The Mojave.

I Would have loved to take a detector out there.

I have a little knowledge of Salton Sea because the area hosts one of the world's largest powered paragliding annual events there. I have yet to go, but most of my flying friends go every year.

There is a shanty town/trailer park there called Slab City that was made famous in the movie "Into The Wild". My friends have all visited and they say that while there are a lot of nice friendly hippies there and stuff, it's like a lawless wild wild west and it's fairly dangerous.... so if you visit, be careful.

There are a lot of very odd people with no jobs who live there so I would be quite certain there are some MD enthusiasts who detect like it's a full time job. Those people live off the land, scavenge, recycle, barter, do crafts, etc. to survive... so I bet MDing is probably fairly popular among the population there. As we all know, it's a big desert and no place is ever "hunted out". But if I was going to hunt there, I'd watch my back and keep my expectations low because I bet the area is heavily pounded upon.

Make sure to keep an open mind and really enjoy the sights. There are some really odd people in that desert around Salton Sea. From Salvation Mountain to the nudists, there are all sorts.

Back
Top Bottom