• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

All mid-tones, no Shiny for me, cool relics!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Headed out to Missoula the other day, but didn't quite make it as I was sidetracked by a beautiful large brick Victorian home. My friend and I stopped and the very nice owner gave us the ok to detect the yard. She did mention that the yard had been hunted by a couple of guys about 3 years ago. Well... we love that challenge and were eager to detect. I began wandering around the front yard, just to see if anything old was left. My first target was a solid 90-91 on the AT Pro. Turned out to be a large solid copper horse harness medallion! After that, we knew we had better check the yard carefully and grid it out. As it turned out, the two guys did get practically all the high tones, but we got the high/mid tones and the solid mid tones.

My friend uses the Nox 600, his third target rang up as a weird signal, high and mid tones mixed. He found the only SILVER COIN of the day, a 1894 Barber Quarter. Wondering why he didn't get a clean high tone, he rechecked the hole and found a 1902 Liberty Head nickel! His other finds included a 1903 nickel, 1918 Buffalo Nickel, some rifle cartridges and shotgun shell bases, and a couple of small Sterling Silver jewelry items that rang up low.

My coin finds included a nice 1886 Liberty Head nickel, a very worn and early Mexican Pesos copper coin, and a couple of deep worn wheat pennies that rang up in the low 70's. I did get lots of cool relics, including 45-60 rifle cartridges, shotgun shell bases, buckles, buttons, jack knife, old auto valve stem, a cool large button depicting a woman handing a love bird her love letter, a gold plated locket, a neat LOWNEY copper chocolate / cocoa dessert spoon, an early Hind's Disappearing Cream free sample tin, and my favorite find, a copper or bronze SPANISH WAR VETERANS 1898-1902 medallion.

While the silver was very scarce, the neat relics found made this a very fun hunt! Thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• mil1.jpg
    mil1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 289
  • mil2.jpg
    mil2.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 269
  • mil3.jpg
    mil3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 283
  • mil4.jpg
    mil4.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Thanks Tom, I like it too! Interesting that we found no newer coins of any type on this hunt, everything was nice and old!

66hotel - thank you!

MTtrashdigger - thank you, yes, some cool oddities made this a fun hunt!

HDMontana - thank you!

ToySoldier - thank you!

Great finds. I see a Model T value stem cover in your junk pile, best move that to the good pile.

Is that a locket in the center, to the right of the Cube metal? Looks like it might be silver.
Also what is the object in the power left?

Vermonster - thank you!

waltr - thank you! Yes that is a Model T valve stem, a keeper for sure. You are correct, that is a locket, but just gold plated, not silver. The item in lower left is sideways, should have turned it 90 degrees, it is the top part of a button or pendant, with a woman handing a bird a love letter, or receiving a love letter.

The place may have been cherry picked but I'd say they left a lot of cherries for you and your buddy. Congrats David on all the relics, the old Nickels and a pretty nice outing. The Spanish American War Veterans Medallion is something very special. a fitting find on this weekend. Trapper

diggin4clad - thank you, and yes, that odd spelling had me mixed up for a bit!

brncofan - thank you!

Trapper - thank you, and yes, I do really like that War Medallion, already have it in a 2x2 to save for my 2019 memory book!

Back
Top Bottom