• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New guy from Roseville Calif.

Welcome aboard.

I’ve had zero issue metal detecting in Roseville, Folsom, Sacramento, North Highlands (scary :lol:), Rocklin, etc.
Thanks. I know what you mean about North Highlands. But there is probably nothing of value there anyway. :lol:

.... So now I just need to decide which detector to buy and where to buy it.

That oft-link oft-told story about Folsom reservoir comes up often. In short: During the drought (that ended a few years ago), the water levels became so low, that some foundations of an old ghost town "Mormon Island" came into view . The newspaper and nightly news did some coverage, that drew crowds of curiosity seekers and lookie-lous. And of course brought out the state archie to do some commentaries, blah blah .

And a few of the curiosity seekers came armed with metal detectors . Who were simply clueless beginners, and had not an ounce of common sense to be seen wandering around right next to the archies and rangers being interviewed @ the news. Most were ignored. A few got "scrams". And then one of them got a ticket. Simply because the place was crawling with archies, and they wanted to make an example of him. Whatever rule they cited , was about cultural heritage issues that apply to state parks. Ok, sure. But let me tell you: Folsom reservoir locations had always/ever been md'd, forever in time, prior to that. For example, some other old tent-city gold rush zones further up in the fingers. Or for random beach-goer losses md'ing. etc... And it had never been an issue. But now sure, if you go parading into an archie convention event, at a sensitive monument thing, then sure, what did you expect ?

Fluke stories such as that are like reading a shark-attack story. You might think "it's dangerous to swim at the beach", right ? Yet the truth is: 100,000 people every day swim at the world's beaches, and never get attacked by sharks. But if single person in a year ever got bit, guess what the news headlines are the next day ?

Of course don't throw caution to the wind. If you're skittish that there might be an express/specific "no md'ing" rule somewhere, you look it up for yourself. All rules of park (forest, beach, etc...) usage are available for public viewing somewhere. Eg.: Dogs on leash, no fireworks, etc....

So what you are saying is there are SHARKS in Folsom Reservoir! And thats why there is a uninhabited Ghost island! The sharks ate all the Mormons when they went swimming? I never heard about any of this on the News!

I do know that Ham radio afficianados are some pretty bold trespassers..all over the airwaves around the World with nary a concern, chatting away about inconsequential nonsense in strange languages all night long.....

Flying drones is super dangerous and regulated and attracts more attention than some old dope out digging pennies...This is a lot to overthink about! At least 30% overthought already!...Especially about the Sharks!...Probably Bull Sharks! And the Mormons living on an island in a shark infested lake? Whats up with that?:?::?: Ghost Mormons! How can a guy figure out what detector to get or even try this Sport with all this thinking to do?

At least with Ham radio as a hobby, a guy is safe indoors, dont have to worry about Sharks or Mormons or Archies! Only having enough mustard and lettuce around to make a sandwich! MMMM! Ham! Over!

Welcome fellow Northern Californian!

When i first started MD'ing i actually got the permit for Roseville city parks out of naivety. I was never bothered/questioned by any park official or the PD. I let it lapse and never renewed it. I rarely detect there anymore.

The only advice I will give you is buy a quality machine, and budget for a pinpointer too.

So what you are saying is there are SHARKS in Folsom Reservoir! And thats why there is a uninhabited Ghost island! The sharks ate all the Mormons when they went swimming? I never heard about any of this on the News!...!
LOL. Actually they dammed the river and it flooded Mormon Island. The residents tried, but never were able to adapt to living underwater.

Seriously --- a dried lake bottom would probably have a ton of trash, fish hooks, lures, lead weights, boat anchors, etc.

Welcome fellow Northern Californian!

When i first started MD'ing i actually got the permit for Roseville city parks out of naivety. I was never bothered/questioned by any park official or the PD. I let it lapse and never renewed it. I rarely detect there anymore.

The only advice I will give you is buy a quality machine, and budget for a pinpointer too.
Thanks, good advice.

I just ordered an Equinox 800 after watching it in use in 3 YouTube videos. :woohoo:

Thanks, good advice.

I just ordered an Equinox 800 after watching it in use in 3 YouTube videos. :woohoo:

I would have to say thats an excellent choice! Dont let it frustrate you at first. For the first few outings stick to park 1, 5 tones, then just noise cancel, ground balance, and go. Dont fiddle with the settings until you get some time with it. Watch some more vids on the tonal nuances, especially over deep targets and targets comingeled with iron. It doesnt take long to learn at all. Good luck and we expect you to report back often with your finds!

.... I was never bothered/questioned by any park official or the PD. I let it lapse and never renewed it. ....

That's sort of been the "running joke" of another city in CA, that had ever dreamed up a "permit" for this. And the permits are passed out by the club . Which gives a singular check to the city each year for all its members.

After many many years of this, no md'rs could ever recall having ever been "carded". One of them even humorously TRIED to get carded . Eg.: Made purposed circles around a crew of park workers who were working on a fountain or something. And another person I heard of, tried to get one direct from city hall (instead of through the club). And no one there had the foggiest notion what he was talking about. Doh!

....Seriously --- a dried lake bottom would probably have a ton of trash, fish hooks, lures, lead weights, boat anchors, etc.

Yes. There is a common misconception that when a reservoir covers some historic spot, that the spot is "capped", and would be thus protected from modern garbage influence ? Eh ?

But you're right: People have simply NO IDEA how much trash boaters (fishermen, water-skiers, swimmers, etc...) can leave on lake bottoms.

During that drought, we tried the location of where an old stage stop had been along the CA coastal counties, that was covered in 1964 by the creation of a reservoir. The foundations were clearly visible after the water receded, so we gleefully hunted the heck out of it. And were immediately besieged with fishing lures, soda cans, outboard motor parts, sinkers, tabs, etc.... We did bag a seated half dime, woohoo. But the site was in no way "capped".

So too can I imagine that those Folsom reservoir features (which were in the most heavily trafficked boating section of the lake) would have been a junk-yard.

Actually I think restrictions and fees are worse in CA than any other state.

We had a drought in 2013 and our nearby lake (Folsom Lake) nearly dried up and people started going out and MD'ing areas that haven't seen daylight in decades. So they made it illegal to MD in the Folsom Lake recreation area. Didn't want people removing items from the lake bed. If that is a big deal then why is it OK for them to put in a dam and flood the area, but not OK to unearth items when there is a chance? :?:

After much research I found out that I might need a permit to MD here in Roseville. But the web link on how and where to get the permit is broken.

I will have to make some phone calls to various agencies next week before I decide whether or not to get a detector.

I remember the news stories about that at Folsom Lake.

You're overthinking it. Like Tom said, just go hunt. You do not need a permit. I've hit a bunch of parks in Roseville and never had any issues.

Welcome to the forum!

I remember the news stories about that at Folsom Lake.

You're overthinking it. Like Tom said, just go hunt. You do not need a permit. I've hit a bunch of parks in Roseville and never had any issues.

Welcome to the forum!
Actually I don't believe I am overthinking it. Its reasonable to inquire about local metal detecting rules.

Yesterday I phoned two people who work for the City of Roseville. One said I need a permit and sent me the form. The other said they no longer issue permits and that you can wave your detector over the park grass but you cannot dig. I'll find out later today which one is right when I go to the office in person.

That being said, I have already ordered an Equinox 800 and am really looking forward to using it in several areas that I have researched with no restrictions.

... Its reasonable to inquire about local metal detecting rules....

Ok. And you tell us : What will the answer, that the person gives you, be based on ? 1) Actual rule or law that they can point to ? or 2) Personal whimsical opinion & mood ?

I suspect that you will answer option #1. Right ? The person who answers the question will tell you actual rules/laws, right ? Because if it's just their mood or personal opinion, then gee, that's rather arbitrary , right ?

Then if we both agree that you're inquiring about *actual* rules/laws, then .... gee.... why can't a person simply look up those rules/laws for themselves. Right ? Such that they don't risk bumping into the "No one cared till you asked" psychology. Eh ?

....but you cannot dig....

I can think of 100 parks, that can be md'd no problem. Yet guaranteed: If I walked into city hall and said "Hi, can I dig in the park ?" that I could no doubt find someone to say "no".

As you can probably surmise: It won't do any good to detect, if you can't dig the targets. Unless you simply enjoy hearing "beeps" :?: This answer (that someone gave to your "pressing question") is true of EVERY SINGLE SPECK of public land in the USA. AKA: "alter", "deface", "destroy", "molest", "dig", etc..... if all-such-words automatically mean "no md'ing", then ..... how is it that the finds-forum-pages are filled with stuff that people found @ public land ?

... I'll find out later today which one is right when I go to the office in person....

Sure. Keep going higher and higher up the bureaucratic ladder, till you eventually find someone to say "no". And then perhaps they'll need to propose a new law or rule to "address this pressing issue" at their next council meeting, eh ? And then we can all sit back and lament our "lack of freedoms" and "overbearing rules". When it was we, ourselves, who brought them upon ourselves by swatting hornet's nests.

Aren't you getting it ? Look up laws rules for yourself. As for "possible stink eye" or "someone who might gripe", then ... sure .... like nose-picking : Choose discreet times so that you're not begging for attention. You're simply not going to please every last person on earth. If that is your goal, then you've chosen the wrong hobby.

Back
Top Bottom