Wyatt Earp, Santa Anita Derby, Wilkes Barre PA plus Silvers!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Went detecting with a local friend last evening, he uses the AT Max, up north to the big city of Missoula. We went back to an area we tried about a week ago, where we did find some silver and wheaties. The detecting was fun as some odd stuff was coming out!

First permission was at a 1930's corner home, where I found the bronze SANTA ANITA DERBY ONE WIN token. Back side is blank. Research shows this famous California horse race began in 1935. The tokencatalog website only shows an aluminum Anillo Restrike, so this one is the original! Don't know anything more about it.

Out in the adjacent curb strip I found a 1945 Merc Dime, and the cool copper WILKES BARRE PA / THE ANTHRACITE CENTER OF THE WORLD (coal) pin, missing the pin on the back side. This one looks early ca 1910.

We hopped across the street to a wide curb strip, and began finding deep wheaties. My AT Pro was about maxed out to pick these up... dry soil, and most coins 6-7" deep. I did get a nice Silver GW Quarter and another 1945 Merc Dime, while my friend got a 64-D Silver Rosie. Lots of wheat pennies, I gave some to the nearby property owner and ended up with about 20-25 more. The WYATT EARP coin came out of this area, it was only 3" down, and apparently was a giveaway by the Husky Oil Company in the 1970's. Back side of this coin says "U.S. / DEPUTY / MARSHALL" with a 5 pointed lawman's star badge in the center.

We started detecting about 7 pm and ended up finishing in the dark about 10.20 pm, as there were tons of coins in this one particular curb strip. Thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 579
  • coins2.jpg
    coins2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 588
Thanks Tom! Being from CA have you seen that Derby Token before or know anything about it?

No. Santa Anita is southern CA. I'm on central coast CA. About an ~hour south of San Jose. Never seen that token.

However, I see that it's listed in Kappen's 1976 book. Listed at $5.00. Thus, even adjusted for inflation, seems to be a common token.

Nice Finds...Would you Ever consider parting with that WILKES BARRE Pin...Im from that region...Thanks

Nice Finds...Would you Ever consider parting with that WILKES BARRE Pin...Im from that region...Thanks

Hi Joe, thank you, and yes, I would be happy to send you that pin at no charge. Just PM me with your address and I will get it off to you via First Class USPS envelope!

Congrats on the cool coins! Nice saves. :cool3:

Thank you, always enjoy finding the oddities!

Congrats on the fine assortment of collectables! Nice shiny too.

Thank you!

A fantastic outing David. Congrats on the Silver's, the Wheat's, the Tokens and Artifacts of history. A great hunt by any standards. Trapper

Thanks Trapper, the unusual stuff, other than the silvers, are my favorite finds!

Nice coin and relic finds. Congrats.

HD

Thank you!

Nice finds.... Travelled through the Scranton-Wilkes Barre area many a time...… ;)

Back
Top Bottom