Anyone ever detect beaches after a hurricane

bornhunter

Elite Member
I think it's possible and I was hoping to get some idea of what to expect. I would imagine if you were going right after the storm that the streets may have a lot of nails and junk. If you get there do you look for low spots or every where? What do you watch out for? Sharks, downed power lines, other sea creatures in trapped tidal pools, etc? Any thoughts?
BH

A few yrs back two club members & myself flew in to hunt the treasure coast. We were not lucky but you can really find some GREAT TREASURE. About 10 yrs ago my friends who own the metal detecing store found gold & silver coins on the beach after the storm. You have to be there at the right time, they & other 's were lucky, we just had fun.LoL:laughing:

storms

"Anyone ever detect beaches after a hurricane?"

In the words of Redd Fox, "Is a bullfrog waterproof?"

When the residents are fleeing the hurricaine, the diehard detectorists are readying themselves to be the first to the beach.:yes:

I tried to once, Myrtle Beach right after Hugo hit, was almost arrested after being warned twice that I was not allowed on the beach

Out on the west coast, Oregon beaches, all kinds of neat stuff use to wash up after storms. Didn't metal detect back then, but did find two of those round, glass fish net floats, intact. After a hurricane passes through here, it takes a few days to find some free time. Got to clean up the mess, minor repairs here, my mothers house, sometimes help a neighbor or two.

"Anyone ever detect beaches after a hurricane?"

In the words of Redd Fox, "Is a bullfrog waterproof?"

When the residents are fleeing the hurricaine, the diehard detectorists are readying themselves to be the first to the beach.:yes:

I think it goes "is bullfrogs pooper water proof"
So, what I am asking is... do the cops kick you off, are good targets every where or mainly low spots etc. Got any friendly helpful tips?
HH BH

You need a re-entry permit here. Then you have to wait until your category (non-essential, resident, etc. is cleared) I am emergency/medical, so I get to be there whenever I want. I tried after Irene a little (using tracker IV at the time), but it did less here than your average nor' easter. Where it did move stuff it's National Seashore, so it makes no difference, can't hunt before, during or after a hurricane there.

I had to stay behind for Ike on the Texas coast. Except for the winds too high to stand in, the rain that came down so hard you couldn't see and it hurt like rocks, lack of power(no a/c), nowhere to get food(already stocked some) it wasn't all that bad. Of couse I stayed in a building that had with stood all the huricanes since 1965.

I had free roam because of my job, everyone else was urged to leave, it's now mandatory, and you wouldn't find me trying to get to the beach. There wasn't one anyway. The tidal surge moved the shoreline inland several hundred yards until it receeded. The damage was unbelievable. It took years to repair and some still hasn't been repaired.

Sooner or later

The beach has to reopen, and the residents are let back in. I know the barrier along the east coast of florida, the bridges get closed for all but emergency vehicles. No fool would go out in the midst of a "Andrew" or anything of that magnitude. If you watch the news you can see people walking the beaches after the wind-down.

It was sometime, days, before anyone was let back into the coast towns here. Too many down power lines and debri had to be repaired to make it safe to move around. Had a guy lose his house in Surfside, again, and still lives in a mobile home. The Blue Water Highway took more than 2 years to repair and they had to move it inland about 20 feet.

We get typhoons on Guam. They say we are overdue for one. I hope it never arrives. Winds can get into the 250mph range. Of course, I live in a concrete house with storm shutters, so my house can handle the storm. It's just the power goes down for days or weeks, sometimes no running water. Debris and destruction everywhere. I guess if everything is closed and nobody is working then I'm going metal detecting if I can even make it to the beach (and it's safe)...

Some detectorists hit the beaches are hurricanes and noreasters quicker then firemen at a blaze...its like a triathlon...:laughing:

even a strong storm that isn't rated as a hurricane can do some major work to a beach.... shifting the sands in your favor and sometimes not in your favor.
but when the sands do move, it's best to hit asap because the very next tide can fill it right back in again and re-bury any goodies that may have been within reach.
we don't usually get full strength hurricanes here, but when there's a 30 foot swell hitting the shoreline, it's going to change the beach. and that water is also something you want to treat with respect! :yes: even after a storm is over and it looks much calmer, there's still going to be larger swells sneaking in. :shock:

Pete

You gotta be careful.Even sewage plants can't handle the overload.All the poo goes in the rivers,lakes and oceans.As well as fuel from overturned abandoned vessels.After a tropical storm i had a relative step on a board with a nail in it.And was hospitalized with blood poisoning.Also the downed powerlines as well take lives every hurricane.Gotta have your head on a swivel.Of course detectorists develop this trait anyways.

Back
Top Bottom