Some days ya just get lucky

Dannnypp

Honest Abe was president when this was minted. I suppose its not inconceivable to think this may have been used to purchase a slave.

Attachments

• IMG_4206.jpg
    IMG_4206.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 2,053
  • IMG_4205.jpg
    IMG_4205.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,986
One of the cleanest two-cent pieces I have ever seen.
You must be hunting in some pretty clean/sandy soil:yes:

Nice find! I doubt the slave buying theory just due to the small denomination, slaves were an expensive luxury and went for big $$$.

There's a reason - it's inconceivable *cough*

Honest question, but why is it inconceivable? It's not in that good of condition.

I dug an 1865 2 center that's in waaaaay better shape than that. 10 feet away I found an 1832 largie also is fantastic shape. Both in an old apple orchard area that still has 5 to 10 apple trees. The soil in that area is extremely rich and black, and much different than the soil that's only 50 feet away.

I have pics of mine, but what makes this one look like it wasn't dug?

Here's my 2 center

Here are pics of my 2 center

Attachments

• IMG_2839.JPG
    IMG_2839.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,264
  • IMG_2840.JPG
    IMG_2840.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,267
  • IMG_2841.JPG
    IMG_2841.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 1,276
  • IMG_2842.JPG
    IMG_2842.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,260
Honest question, but why is it inconceivable? It's not in that good of condition.

I dug an 1865 2 center that's in waaaaay better shape than that. 10 feet away I found an 1832 largie also is fantastic shape. Both in an old apple orchard area that still has 5 to 10 apple trees. The soil in that area is extremely rich and black, and much different than the soil that's only 50 feet away.

The lack of corrosion at all. A coin can have fantastic detail (like yours) but it's gonna have a patina of sorts (like yours). I've never heard of or seen a coin copper coin like that that didn't have a patina. It impossible, that coin was not dug - any MD veteran would agree.

It's also worth noting tho that he doesn't say it as dug. He's a new member and could just be posting a coin store find

The lack of corrosion at all. A coin can have fantastic detail (like yours) but it's gonna have a patina of sorts (like yours). I've never heard of or seen a coin copper coin like that that didn't have a patina. It impossible, that coin was not dug - any MD veteran would agree.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

I was only thinking about the detail.

Could be dug and heavily cleaned. I think even if it was purchased it had been cleaned at some point because it looks like it was waxed and polished.

Back
Top Bottom