Selden Patent 1895 Auto tag

I know a little about that - the guy who tried to patent the idea of an automobile. I'd say it's a great find.

picture.php
[/IMG]

Just for you, Ron my first photo post.
I have found about a dozen wheat pennies, in the local field where I found this tag. I initially ignored it thinking it was a tag from common yard equipment. When I got home I read it and Googled it and was amazed at the history. The emerging automotive industry was held for ransom by Selden's patent. Every manufacturer had to pay a royalty to Selden to sell any car. Henry Ford nearly went broke fighting it. On January 9, 1911 the battle ended. Its a long story but it is a key patent law case and a milestone event in the automotive industry.

Thanks, Glasshopper! The far left coast is not loaded with relics, but they are there! I came so close to missing this as an assumed piece of scrap. It really served as a reminder that every find needs a close look! We walk over a fortune in finds we never dig and may have tossed some of our best finds! Several times at a club meeting, I have had someone point to one of my display finds and say you know that's a gold filling or a key date coin even a gold jewelry piece that had the stamp so darn small I missed it!
Live and learn! Better to learn from the mistakes of others. :cool:
Happy New Year!

Back
Top Bottom