Years of research has finally paid off

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
Hey everyone, I got out for a hunt yesterday to a spot I have been hunting on and off since I started the hobby back around 2012. This spot is mentioned in only one book I can find, and there was literally ONE sentence that made me keep hunting this spot. The one sentence was, ice skating and swimming was popular around the turn of the 20th century. In the years I've hunted here, I've only found maybe half a dozen wheats, NO SILVER, and a few random fishing pieces. Also a few random colonial relics, most likely dropped when they cleared the land. I just could never find any high traffic/high find areas to confirm this to be a popular swimming location. Ive tried in the water a few times, found a few things but nothing really crazy, best find was one wheat penny. The bottom is all silt and HUGE rocks, so it's one of the tougher locations I have hunted. Almost unhuntable....anywho after a few deep pieces of iron, 3 wheats, and a few relics, I finally got my keeper from this location. In an area I have hunted quite a few times, just never got the coil over it, at the right angle. I saw the rim, immediately knew it was a half, in my mind, I figured either abarber or walker, with my luck it usually is a walker :laughing: but 2 of the wheats were 1914 & 1910, so my hopes were high. About 8" down I pulled up a handful of dirt that held the 1907 half. Not the craziest find, but definitely deserved, and earned. I appreciate the looks, and good luck out there!

Attachments

• 0416191531a_Film4.jpg
    0416191531a_Film4.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 697
  • 0416191534_Film4.jpg
    0416191534_Film4.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 681
  • 0416191534a_Film4.jpg
    0416191534a_Film4.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 687
Fantastic! You knew it was a worthy spot, and there must be some silver there. You were right! Rightly rewarded too, with big silver from that "turn of the 20th century" timeframe.

That's awesome. Amazing how you can hunt a spot numerous times and still get something good.

Its great to see such an awesome find like that Barbar half is such a great condition. thanks for sharing. also gives me hope.

Hey, wait a minute; does reading one sentence in a book really count as "years of research"? :laughing:

Well I read that one sentence 7 years ago, so.... :laughing: that one sentence 7 years ago kick started an on site investigation which turned up very little until yesterday. Probably could have clarified better, but was trying to keep a long winded post, short winded, and failed to do so anyway :laughing:

Fantastic! You knew it was a worthy spot, and there must be some silver there. You were right! Rightly rewarded too, with big silver from that "turn of the 20th century" timeframe.

Funny how one gets a "feeling" about a spot and it pays off

EXCELLENT Find !

Awesome find and glad your persistence paid off. Congrats!

That's awesome. Amazing how you can hunt a spot numerous times and still get something good.

Nice Barber half Cellr! Glad it paid off for ya!

Its great to see such an awesome find like that Barbar half is such a great condition. thanks for sharing. also gives me hope.

Great job . What a beauty.

Congrats Jeff! That’d be an amazing find for anyone!

Congrats Jeff! I want a Barber half! Love it when it all comes together!
DD
Thank you all! A welcomed addition to the hoard!

You did the research, put in the time and at long last the much deserved reward. Congrats Jeff on a well earned big Silver, I'm sure this Barber Half will be one of you all time cherished treasures. Trapper

I love it! Congrats on a sweet find.

I have an old baseball field that I need to go search. My great grandfather on my fathers mothers side of the family played there in the 1890’s and a picture of his team is at the Nevada historical society. I’ve heard people have searched there but there’s that hope! I hope to find something there like what you found!

That had to be very satisfying! To know that you researched it yourself and it paid off

Super nice find. sticking to it paid off for you. In my area I've hunted spots that were used for ice skating back in the early 1900's right up until around 1985 or so and got nothing good but that doesn't mean there's nothing good there. Maybe next time.

Back
Top Bottom