• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What to do with common silver coins?

That seems pretty pointless to me. With American coinage, you already have a verified purity. Plus they have a slight added numismatic value. Melting them down is just a pointless waste of money and American history in my opinion.
For me, that would only work with truly 'junk' silver coinage. I have a large bag of bent, cut, gouged, large-holed failed coin-ring attempts, unidentifiable slicks...etc...coins with no numismatic value whatsoever. Would be kind of cool to have a bar made out of that. Otherwise, no-no.

That seems pretty pointless to me. With American coinage, you already have a verified purity. Plus they have a slight added numismatic value. Melting them down is just a pointless waste of money and American history in my opinion.

Ooh boy are we on the same page... Until it is a faceless, dateless, mint-mark-less slug... It's worthy. There is a HUGE motivation in preserving our American history that indeed drives my coin collecting.

That's how I do it as well. I put all my dug silvers in coin holders. The stuff I buy goes in organiser boxes.

In any capitalist republic, the history of our money, is indeed equal to the history of our republic.

I have a lot of junk silver I am hoarding for the future....I figure in 20 years or so when all my kids are grown and on their own my wife and I are gonna take a cruise or something big.....all my good coins....gold, better date silver and coppers, I have locked in a safe and I will leave them to my kids once im 6 feet down, what they do with them is up to them.

I did not advocate the practice, and have never done it myself. The fact is we're talking about non-rare coins that on the open market are only valued based on their weight and purity. If you can get a coin collector to buy a busted up GW quarter for more than melt value, then more power to you. There is and never will be a shortage of common date mercury dimes, kennedy halves, etc, etc. The open market considers them raw material.

He said he would have a hard time doing that to coins, but jewelry....

He said he would have a hard time doing that to coins, but jewelry....

"Junk silver" as a commodity trades/sells easy enough so i don't think much of it ever really seems a smelter. The 40% half dollars I know hit the smelter for sure, along with silverware etc. but there is a premium on junk silver when its sold in bulk so most places just move it. At least, that has been my experience.

"Junk silver" as a commodity trades/sells easy enough so i don't think much of it ever really seems a smelter. The 40% half dollars I know hit the smelter for sure, along with silverware etc. but there is a premium on junk silver when its sold in bulk so most places just move it. At least, that has been my experience.
Interesting. I have been steadily collecting over the last 10 years, since right before the last run-up in the value of silver. I have never seen 90% silver sold at spot until recently, by the big name vendors. I have also never seen 40% halves sold at spot. My LCS makes good money on premiums and he never sits on junk silver. Personally, I don't think much even makes it to the smelter, it just changes hands.

Back
Top Bottom