Does anyone know about the 1958 Silver penny?

Dude

d is for denver, delaware never had a federal mint.
GL2U!

Love those mysterous finds. Researching them is almost as much fun as finding them.

Bringing Back the Dead...

I think I have a silver penny. Can anyone help me confirm this?

I weighed both a standard copper penny and the silver looking one I have. The copper one weighed in at 2.5 grams exactly and the silver looking one weighed in at 3.6 grams. As well the copper penny fits inside the silver looking penny. I have attache pictures of the penny and some standard currency to show the differences.

IMG_4640.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

IMG_4646.jpg

IMG_4649.jpg

IMG_4642.jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

The yellowish looking photo is with out a flash on the cammera. Any help at all would be great.

I dont know , just go through all the already posted suggestions and find one that fits I guess. If you drop it and it makes the same sound as a regular penny then its just a regular penny coated with something. Silver or steel will make a different sound.

The cent may have been struck on a wrong planchet, weigh the silver dime and see what that weighs or a might be a foreign planchet also as the mint does foreign strikes. As it was said in previous posts it may also be coated with mercury or zinc.

there's not a planchet used by the mint that would fit the description. 99.99% sure this coin has been plated. It just has that look (which would also help explain the weight discrepancy and size difference.

I think the silver penny in the pic above is a fake. Maybe a souvenir or something. Look at the Lincoln...doesn't even look the same as the other penny.

I have checked out the video and I under stand the process but the amount of layers to make up the weight difference would take forever, just seems highly unlikely. As well when heat is applied it does not change color. I set it on a brick that is on a wood stove and after a minute it did nothing but burn me when I picked it up, as it was kind of hot.

I was highly reluctant to do the drop test but found that formica is safe from chipping when I dropped the copper penny first and found no marks... but, I was also reluctant to drop the silver penny in-case it was real (didn't want to damage it) so I went to the bank today and got a brand new roll of pennies and took one out and dropped it and checked it for marks, found none. So I thought it would be safe, dropping them from about a foot off the counter surface. The copper penny makes a distinctive ting and the silver one makes more of a thud sound, so I dropped a silver dime and found it made a similar sound to the penny and yet different. So I dropped a 1970 nickel and found that it made a pretty similar sound but I think it has to do with the weight as opposed to the material its made from, or coated in for that matter.

I made an appointment with a respected coin dealer in my area for further investigation, I'll let you guys know what I find out.

I was also told by the coin dealer that the mints have sometimes used the wrong materials when minting coins, including pennies. He said it was possible for this penny to have been struck using the wrong material, however highly unlikely. Which is why he wants to look at it.

Also I took a look at a copper penny and the silver penny under a magnifier and a lot of light and found that the only differences with Lincolns head is that the hair is much more noticeable on the copper piece which could mean that the silver one is plated with some sort of material.

I'll let you know anything else I can, once it is checked out by the dealer.

while we are on this subject , I found two gold colored pennies in one of my grandpa's jars. the 1971 is a real penny,but is gold colored on front and back, but brown rim. Was wondering if this is what mercury does. The 1968 penny is bigger and thicker (thinking it might be metal play money) but you can see it looks put together. You can see in the 2nd pic where the arrow is. If anyone can give me any ideas I would appreciate it

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,271
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,284
1958 d steel panny

i have get 1958 d steel penny did any one knew how mach these worth and
i can post picture on Lin for to see let me knew thanks

We used to plate coins all the time in Chemistry class in high school. You'd put a coin in silver nitrate and apply current and the silver comes out of solution and sticks to the coin. I am sure it's still part of the classes in schools everywhere.

In Chemistry we used to put the pennies in Mercury salt solution, take them out with a mercury coating, wrap them in a paper towel to protect our hands, since they were covered in mercury, and put them in our pockets and take them home. I probably still have mine in my old bedroom at my parent's house! LOL!

Can't we lock this thread? It's maddening to see it constantly brought back from the dead so someone can post the same story with no pics, or worthless pis. Geeze, lock it and be done, it's 3 years old!

Can't we lock this thread? It's maddening to see it constantly brought back from the dead so someone can post the same story with no pics, or worthless pis. Geeze, lock it and be done, it's 3 years old!

We don't have a problem with the members bringing up older threads... thats why they are left open.

Back from the dead again..

Sorry to bump an old thread but I found a few of these pennies today and am now very curious. I hope these pictures help someone identify what these coins are. I got 2000 "unsearched" wheat pennies from Ebay. I found 3 1958-D's just like the pics in these bags. Maybe it's coated but I find it odd several people have reported 58-D's like this around here. Also odd that all 3 of the ones I found in the same batch were that year and mint. Details are great and the coins are in excellent shape as shown in the picture..

Attachments

• penny1steel.jpg
    penny1steel.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 638
  • penny2steel.jpg
    penny2steel.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 637
  • penny3.jpg
    penny3.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 714
I know I know it's an old thread. The original poster said the silver cent is larger in diameter than the copper cent. If it was accidentally struck out of silver the diameter would be the same. So this simply points to it being plated. Plus he said it weighed like 3.5 grams? If it was pure silver it would weight 4.25 grams. So like all have said it all points to a nice plating job. I would definitely be proud to own it.

Back
Top Bottom