Awesome lead on new site, dang hard to get to!

BBsGal

Forum Supporter
I got a fantastic lead the other day on what sounds like a very promising site. Sounds like an old settlement, my source had been in there detecting years ago, cherry picked a little bit on the sides of the road in the area... and found some neat stuff including a few coins, a token, a silver ring and an old flask. It also sounds like a point finding site, so it's got all the best of both worlds as far as goodies to hunt for!

I did some research and found several structures shown on old maps, right where my source described seeing a cellar hole and old foundation remnants. Sure enough, it was settled at least as early as the 1880s, which is pretty early in this area. The road my source described is plain to see even now, and up until a few years ago was still used. It's also on public property which makes it even more wonderful...

So yesterday BB and I went to go take a look at what's on the ground. Dang though! Wouldn't you know it, the road has been barricaded at both ends and abandoned by the county. The site is in about a mile from either barricade and with the undergrowth there's not a chance of getting my truck in there, so it's either doing some bushwhacking and getting a 4-wheeler around the barricade, walking, or since it's also bounded by water, maybe boating in.

The only trouble with all of this is that I won't go in there alone, I'm too old and wise :lol: to do something that reckless... It's too remote and too jungle-ish, too much chance to get hurt, twist an ankle, get heat sick, snake-bit, or some such nonsense, then have someone come scoop me out, that is if the cell phone works there even... So I have to wait until BB has some spare time and we can try to get in there together and check it out.

I'm not great at waiting though, and am chomping at the bit to get in there. Dang it anyhow!!! :frustrated::crying::cuss: :laughing:

Any idea on how deep the water is ? Was thinking maybe you could detect your way in? :?:

Any idea on how deep the water is ? Was thinking maybe you could detect your way in? :?:

The place is surrounded by private property so the access points are pretty limited, and the road being closed to vehicles makes it challenging to say the least. The closest parking to follow the water up would be a good mile and a half (at least) away so just walking in around the barricades would be simpler.

It will be great if we can just get the boat to it and save all that walking, and save us from having to pack in our gear. If we can't boat to it, then I guess we'll have to lace up those hiking boots and hoof it in which would stink as it's hotter than Hades here right now. But would I do it anyway? Oh yeah! :lol:

I was thinking if the water was shallow enough you could tie off to an inter tube and detect the mile to the site? parking??
I know what you mean on the waiting game. I found an old 1871 German church on forty acres with a picnic grove down by the creek that was pretty active back in it's day from what I gather. I spoke to the owner when he was mowing around the church. He said he couldn't see a problem with it but had to ask the family first. I wont hold my breath but I do have my fingers crossed.
Best of luck.

I was thinking if the water was shallow enough you could tie off to an inter tube and detect the mile to the site? parking??
I know what you mean on the waiting game. I found an old 1871 German church on forty acres with a picnic grove down by the creek that was pretty active back in it's day from what I gather. I spoke to the owner when he was mowing around the church. He said he couldn't see a problem with it but had to ask the family first. I wont hold my breath but I do have my fingers crossed.
Best of luck.

If the water access parking was closer than a mile it would be an option, not one I would have thought up myself for sure.

Yes, it stinks waiting particularly when you know the other person is not in the state of anxious waiting you're in. They probably don't give it a thought, how they're torturing you :laughing:

Hope you get to hunt your church, that sounds like an awesome site!

Back
Top Bottom