Does anyone else go detecting in the freezing cold? Lol

Just watched a couple of your first video's, looks like St Mary's?

Yep! St Mary’s and on both bases. I didn’t see any other detectorists on either bases so I figured that I had it all to myself. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The coldest for me was 28 degrees

Back in the good old days, i would hit the water in near freezing temps. One day my handle was slipping so i figured i had painted it with too much urethane. NOT, the water was frozen on the handle (I found out later that it was 28 degrees).

Chuck

Attachments

• 1 cold weather set up.jpg
    1 cold weather set up.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 187
When I was younger I would get out and detect during freezing weather but not anymore. The older I get the more I hate winter. I'm one of those southern boys that has absolutely no anti-freeze in my system :lol: I have to give credit to you northern guys for being able to handle and brave winter conditions :yes:

We have on this site:

The Few, The Brave, The Frozen!!

Maybe a blockbuster movie in the works?

Luckily, whatever I miss one year I have a good chance to find another. Not many go where I do to find heavy metal.

Its a whole lot more comfortable hunting in the freezing Cold than the 70+ heat of Summer! Ample parking, nobody else out, No Sun to burn an old bald head, you get thirsty, theres snow around to eat...generally some nice cuts can be found..

Anybody who can hunt all day in bright Sun and plus70 degrees is the real tough Guy...

Attachments

• jan 21-17.jpg
    jan 21-17.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 162
  • feb 11-17-3.jpg
    feb 11-17-3.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 160
no you winter hunters are the tuff guys in my book. I hit south beach last night glad I had on my wetsuit water was 69

did that scoop come over on the Mayflower :D

Steve

:wow: He's hunting your territory, it's a good thing he doesn't have a good scoop :shock: , and a Jet ski for easy access howboutit :pirate2:

Earl, I hunt the Chesapeake Bay, Ocean City Md, and now have expanded to the Delaware River and Bay, they are open to anyone that wants to hunt them. I consider them to be "Everyone's Territory"

Its a whole lot more comfortable hunting in the freezing Cold than the 70+ heat of Summer! Ample parking, nobody else out, No Sun to burn an old bald head, you get thirsty, theres snow around to eat...generally some nice cuts can be found..

Anybody who can hunt all day in bright Sun and plus70 degrees is the real tough Guy...

I agree Mud, I love the cold for it gives one freedom from the world.

Last edited:
It's been a little stranger than normal here weather wise. It was 4º the other day and I was out hunting coins in the dirt. It has been so dry the ground has nothing to freeze. It's just really cold. So far.

Having been through a few winters I can say it seems as if our normal seasonal changes have moved. It used to be from around October to March our ground was covered with a 1' of snow. Now we seem to have shifted to where that time is from January to May.

I still hit the water even though it the dead of winter and bone chilling temps across the lower 48. Its like thumbing my nose at old man winter.

Funny thing is in Michigan at least nobody bats an eye if you tell them you go steelhead fishing in the cold and icebergs. But if you are a winter treasure hunter you are obviously flippin' nuts. :wow:

Most of the same cold weather gear and techniques I used when I used to fish I now use treasure hunting in cold water.

OBN Reply Back post #28

You forgot You hunt the Chesapeake Bay 95% of the time, you don't live down here or OC, you don't have a place down here, so why have the detector poveratze think your down here 24/7 hunting finding gold- when your not, you are correct it's everyone's territory , but the fact is your hunting 95% of the time on the Western Shore , the season is only 3 month's out of the year here , the only gold is fresh drops from the tourist July, August , September , and no you are not finding all that gold down here in the re-replenishment sand in the off season is a Fact. I tell the truth, don't lie , so don't come back with , it's all BS , don't worry bro., you didn't post your total gold find's for a reason 2017 this year :shock::lol:, we all know why :yes:, a star ring daddy disappears , the poveratze conclude's that you were misleading them to believe all the time you were hunting here down OC, even living here , but live ,and hunt on the Western Shore , listen you can go to church, and go confess , than change your location for starter's , cause it's not OC Maryland were you live :nono::realitycheck: Your wright to have people think your hunting down here 24/7, but the fact is , since i live here now , and your not willing to compromise , or make change's so , it's your mess now , not mine , clean it up, and happy hunting 2018 on the Western Shore :oops::ohwell::goodluck::facepalm:

Last edited:
You Florida folks are a RIOT!! Gives us northerners something to laugh about!

He didn't even have gloves on :) I was probably 2 hours south of him on the same day and was wearing 3 pairs of pants, four shirts, two jackets, three pairs of gloves, a scarf and 3 pairs of socks with boots. I'm a wimp :)

You forgot You hunt the Chesapeake Bay 95% of the time, you don't live down here or OC, you don't have a place down here, so why have the detector poveratze think your down here 24/7 hunting finding gold- when your not, you are correct it's everyone's territory , but the fact is your hunting 95% of the time on the Western Shore , the season is only 3 month's out of the year here , the only gold is fresh drops from the tourist July, August , September , and no you are not finding all that gold down here in the re-replenishment sand in the off season is a Fact. I tell the truth, don't lie , so don't come back with , it's all BS , don't worry bro., you didn't post your total gold find's for a reason 2017 this year :shock::lol:, we all know why :yes:, a star ring daddy disappears , the poveratze conclude's that you were misleading them to believe all the time you were hunting here down OC, even living here , but live ,and hunt on the Western Shore , listen you can go to church, and go confess , than change your location for starter's , cause it's not OC Maryland were you live :nono::realitycheck: Your wright to have people think your hunting down here 24/7, but the fact is , since i live here now , and your not willing to compromise , or make change's so , it's your mess now , not mine , clean it up, and happy hunting 2018 on the Western Shore :oops::ohwell::goodluck::facepalm:

Earl, step away from the computer and go get some fresh air. You've lost your friggin mind!

Oh and LOL @ OP thinking FL hunting is cold.

Kapi

`Your the QUEEN that rules now, just remember you can ware, swing, hunt, use any detector , and SCOOP :laughing: you want ,find all the Gold you wish in 2018, without any harassment like i get, don't pay attention to the hunter up North that dresses in his monkey suit in the cold, snap's a shot, and thinks he's superman , :laughing: and a real pro, which you are , Good luck in 2018, i plan on sealing all their lip's this season, IS pay back :viking: PS YOU 2 Zinc Man :shock::laughing:, got his 1st Excalibur than finally started finding Gold not until JUST LAST YEAR :laughing::roll::hornetsnest::dingding::jawdrop::realitycheck:

Last edited:
`Your the QUEEN that rules now, just remember you can ware, swing, hunt, use any detector , and SCOOP :laughing: you want ,find all the Gold you wish in 2018, without any harassment like i get, don't pay attention to the hunter up North that dresses in his monkey suit in the cold, snap's a shot, and thinks he's superman , :laughing: and a real pro, which you are , Good luck in 2018, i plan on sealing all their lip's this season, IS pay back :viking: PS YOU 2 Zinc Man :shock::laughing:, got his 1st Excalibur than finally started finding Gold not until JUST LAST YEAR :laughing::roll::hornetsnest::dingding::jawdrop::realitycheck:

I have no idea what you just said but i'm now dumber for having read it. I award you no points and my god have mercy on your soul. :laughing:

So you are hijacking a thread, trying to cut down Chuck and Felix, and trying to divide the water hunters. So we should be able to call you turf master and get away with it because you don't water hunt anyway.

Seems like a mod should seal your stupid comments but that is not for me to say. Even if you do find gold this year a few just won't care. Your idea of a friendly forum isn't the same as a few others.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom