Detecting on Okrakoke?

crimson

Our good friends from New York rent a house on Okrakoke Island NC for a few weeks every year. They've invited us to join them for a few days this year, sometime towards the end of the September.

Anyone know if it's ok (legal) to detect there? or is it all off-limits, beaches, etc..

Thanks!

Yea same here, 2nd week of sept I will be in Hatteras. Just going to drive up to Nags Head or Kitty Hawk.

You think it sucks not being able to md on vacation? I live on Hatteras, my detector is covered with dust. All this beach going to waste!!!

yeah there is another thread about it under beach hunting titled outer banks and it has all the beachs that are ok to hunt

What about private property at Ocrakoke? Certainly there must be something to hunt along those lines? And aren't there some beaches on the sound side that aren't part of the National Seashore? If so, some families prefer the calmer waters of the sound to the 2ft+ waves of the Atlantic. Even the yard of the place you're staying is worth swinging the MD in given the history of the island. Just my 2 cents.

What about private property at Ocrakoke? Certainly there must be something to hunt along those lines? And aren't there some beaches on the sound side that aren't part of the National Seashore? If so, some families prefer the calmer waters of the sound to the 2ft+ waves of the Atlantic. Even the yard of the place you're staying is worth swinging the MD in given the history of the island. Just my 2 cents.

A couple good points. Private property should be hunt-able with owners permission and I'm pretty sure the sound is not part of the National Park and it gets some very heavy traffic.

Map - Ocrakoke

Looks like there is a significant portion of the Island that is not National Seashore. We always presume, but . . .

On the other hand, there may be local ordinances against it in the public areas.

oak.jpg

The villages on Hatteras & Ocracoke are not part of the National Park, BUT, MDing anywhere south of Nags Head is forbidden, except on private property.
Checked with Park Service this morning, sound side included.

I guess the all the property in the village of Ocrakoke is private property, which would make sense.

Ocracoke Island has lots of history. I would ask the people you are renting from. Just because you rent a house does not allow you to dig. Maybe I am wrong but I would certainly ask. The beaches are off limits due to it being a National Seashore. You will find handcuffs if you detect any beaches there.

The private homes like the one you are staying at in the village are probably OK. You can also walk around and ask permission at some of the homes there. I have stayed there and the homes are OLD and there has to be some goodies in the ground. Good luck and happy hunting!

Thanks for the info. I may or may not bring the detector... not sure yet, room in the car is another factor :roll:

They're going to take us out to Portsmouth Island while we're there. That sounds like an interesting place to detect.... I know, I know, off limits to detecting :(

Back
Top Bottom