• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Posting pictures;

Gransrism

Forum Supporter
Hey guys, its me agian with yet another question. I have a Kodax Easy Share camera. How do I take pictures with it so you can get a clear, close shot and then how do I post them on here. You guys need to see my treasures :)

Pictures

If you have a photo shop on your computor, and it also has a SD card slot, you are in business. If the computor is an older one, you can pick up an adapter to take the card and install it in a usb port. I have an easy share z760. The quality is so so for me. I have to take multiple shots, and pick the best for the forum. size the photo down to about 1/3 the size and set it in pictures. When you start a thread, and you are ready to add pictures, scroll down to manage attachments. Hit the button and browse your pictures till you find the one you want. click, upload, and wallah, you're a pro. Hope that helped...Gil

Using a USB cable you don't hafta worry about taking the memory card out...

With the point and shoots, you will never get a real close up clear. They have a minimum focus distance.

Howto Post a photo (How I do it.)

I'm not sure which model of easy share you have, but most have a "Macro" mode for taking photos close up. On mine the icon looks like a flower. Check your manual. The Macro mode allows the camera to auto focus on objects that are closer than normal range. On mine that means I can get up to 18" from the object and still be in focus. Your manual will tell you how close you can get. To get closer than that, use your zoom in combination with the Macro mode.

Once you have your photo in the camera, you can either connect the camera directly to the computer using the included USB cable, use a built in card reader for the SD card in the camera, or (as suggested by grinsebring) use an external card reader that you can purchase from a local store.

Using a card reader, built in or external, is usually the best way because using the camera also uses batteries while the camera is connected.

Once you have copied the photos from the card to your hard drive, you'll probably want to resize or otherwise adjust your image. A good size for internet posting is 800x600 or something around that resolution.

If you're using a Windows computer, there's a very easy and free program called Irfanview (named after its programer) that you can get from irfanview.com. For Windows or linux you can use the more advanced photo editor called The GIMP, also a free download. It has many similar features to Photoshop, though it is not a Photoshop replacement. If you're on a Mac, you'll be using iPhoto.

Once the photo is in a good size and you're happy with it, you'll need to uplaod it to a place on the web. I don't know if it's possible to upload to metaldetectingforum.com directly. I started a free account at flickr.com and post all of my imagse there. Then I link to them from here so they show up in the threads. There are other photo posting sites such as photobucket.com, but I don't have any experience with them.

Once you've uploaded your photo to a photo sharing site, you can link to it from here. How?

1. First tag your image properly using whatever method is prescribed by the site you use. In flickr this is done during upload. Tagging means creating a list of words in the Tag field that describe your image. Don't use sentences. Use single words or word combinations written as a single word. For instance, I tag all of my finds with the words
mlitty metaldetecting finds
If you go to flickr.com and seach those terms, you'll find photos of my finds.

2. Next, search the site you post to so that you can find your image the same way everyone else would. This will help you to create a clean link that everyone can follow.

3. Once you've found the image you want to post, right click on it and select "Copy image location" (Firefox). Internet Explorer has a similar option.

4. Now, come to the forums and create your entry in the forum. At the place where you'd like your image to appear, click the "Insert Image" icon in the message menu. It looks like a mountain and a sun in a yellow box. A pop-up will appear with a form entry box. Click in the box, selecting all of the existing content, right click it, and select "Paste". This should paste in the location, a link, to your image. When you click "OK" your forum entry will have a line that looks like this
Only the IMG and /IMG will have square brackets around them. I didn't type them because the forum would interpret them as a link and not show the tags.

5. At this point you can preview your post to make sure everything is in order. If you don't have the option to preview your post, click on the "Go Advanced" button and you'll get the option to preview. The preview should show your image. If it doesn't check your link again by going back to step #3. If your link is good, make sure your image is publicly viewable on the image site you posted to. Flickr, for instance, has a waiting period for your first few images before they become public. You can check this by logging out of the image sharing site and searching it as a regular guest or anonymous person. If you can see it while logged out, then the public can see it. While you're there, go back to step #3 and create a new link from the perspective of the guest/anonymous person. It might work better.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom