Best detector for gold rings?

powerpress74

Im looking to buy a metal detector to search for gold rings/class rings primarily. Im not interested in gold prospecting for nuggets and such. I have about $500 to spend, what do you guys recommend?? Thanks for any help!

Well if your going for gold you will want a high frequency detector such as a Fisher Gold Bug, Teknetics G2, Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Pack, At Pro, MXT, Tesoro Compadre, those all have frequencies at 14khz or above I believe, not sure about MXT but I know its hot and hits gold quite well. Most of those detectors you can pick up used for less than 500.

Well if your going for gold you will want a high frequency detector such as a Fisher Gold Bug, Teknetics G2, Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Pack, At Pro, MXT, Tesoro Compadre, those all have frequencies at 14khz or above I believe, not sure about MXT but I know its hot and hits gold quite well. Most of those detectors you can pick up used for less than 500.
-----------------

OK, could you also find silver coins/jewelry with that detector also? If not, what would be recommended for both gold and silver jewelry/coins?

Can't really answer that question without knowing what type of site. There's a pretty big difference between a trashy park and hunting the wet sand at a salt water beach.

Can't really answer that question without knowing what type of site. There's a pretty big difference between a trashy park and hunting the wet sand at a salt water beach.
------------------------

Probably old churches, old farm houses and old parks. I live in rural Kansas

If they made a machine like that we would all be using it... gold falls into the pulltab range for the most part.... if you find a machine that loves class rings let me know ;)

If they made a machine like that we would all be using it... gold falls into the pulltab range for the most part.... if you find a machine that loves class rings let me know ;)

This

I have even seen in my own eyes an ace 150 find a gold ring before. It's all luck really. Sadly a ring does come up in the pull tab range >.<

I remember someone saying you would have to dig 100,000 pull tabs before you get a ring. Haha I think I'm close! Just kidding.

It's all luck

Actually, the Compadre is 12khz. But you're right about it being a great gold detector!

The Compadre is a great gold detector as long as you are not going into the wet sand at a salt water beach.

The Compadre is only about $170 brand new and comes with a lifetime warranty. And talk about simple: one knob to set discrimination. I love mine.

Two words of warning though:

1. Make sure the Compadre works in your soil conditions. It should be fine, but make sure. Contact your local dealer or metal detecting club and they can help.

2. If you are going to hunt for gold, you need to keep your discrimination low. Probably no higher than "IRON". This means you are going to dig A TON of junk. The problem is that gold jewlery is made with other metal alloys, which means they show up all over the conductivity range, usually between "FOIL" and "NICKEL" or "PULL TAB". There is simply no way to work around that. Digging all that junk, you will want to get frustrated. Don't. If gold were easy to find, everybody would be doing it. Gold is a harsh mistress, and you have to work really hard to earn her favors.

Wow, that almost sounded poetic. :cool:

Teknetics G2 or Fisher Gold Bug Pro (same machine) are EXCELLENT gold machines. The dual processors make them great in iron too. Love to pull coins and jewelery out of heavy iron other machines miss.

Holler at me if you have more questions or need pricing. Love to help you! Bart

Dusty the G2 has a 11" coil (more expensive coil) where the Gold bug has a 5". The Gold Bug Pro (hits silver tons better) is allot different than the original gold bug and does mirror the G2 except for the shaft. Allot of people have a big preference on the different shafts on the 2.

Yeah, I need the 5" coil to get between the rocks and cacti as well as to reach in the small nooks and crannies of the dry washes. My GB S.E. is a cosmetic clone of the G2, if not more.

Why did they stop making the S.E.? It was a real steal for $499!!!!!!!

Dusty

Back
Top Bottom