Another headphones question

NCtoad

Forum Supporter
I've done the search and read many opinions, but what is the difference between the killer b's and the detector pro's as far as sound quality? I'm leaning towards the killer B's hornet which has leather ear muffs. Is the leather muff that much better and does it last? If you had around $120 to spend which headphones would you get?

Take a look at the black widows. I've been using them for 10+ years and I'm still on the original pair. They are awesome in the wind, and anything goes wrong send them in and they will fix them for free, might have to pay shipping I forget.

Take a look at the black widows. I've been using them for 10+ years and I'm still on the original pair. They are awesome in the wind, and anything goes wrong send them in and they will fix them for free, might have to pay shipping I forget.

Thanks, I'll take a look at them also.

Hey Toad...just gonna toss this out there...I ran stock junker cheapies for years, then after much research and advice from our Forum elders, I bought a set of Grey Ghost NDTs for my F70.......holybleep! Very noticeable diff in all things hidden! Thinking back, I guess its good to start out with the cheapos, so a guy can develop an ear that will appreciate really Pro cans...Unbelievable! Its like DAMN! I finally got front row seats at the Opera!!:laughing:
Mud

Attachments

• headphones.jpg
    headphones.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 328
Hey Toad...just gonna toss this out there...I ran stock junker cheapies for years, then after much research and advice from our Forum elders, I bought a set of Grey Ghost NDTs for my F70.......holybleep! Very noticeable diff in all things hidden! Thinking back, I guess its good to start out with the cheapos, so a guy can develop an ear that will appreciate really Pro cans...its like DAMN!:laughing:
Mud

Thanks Mud, I did look at those NDT's and like that you can easily replace the cord on them...they're on my list.

Thats the thing about hearing in a Audio based Sport...Each one of us 'hears' things differently and has various degrees of audio degredation to some extent, so we all have preferences that work for us...After wasting years getting by with the stock junkers,, I would have to agree, quality cans are very important, the fit, tone, adjustability for independent balanced stereophonic volumn, just make for a more productive, enjoyable and comfortable hunt......

like you said, $120 will deliver payback in field and is well worth the spend..a guy sure dont want to miss the find of a Lifetime on account of running cheap audios...It may take a few tries to find the right cans that work for YOU....If you cant hear it, or correctly discern it, you cant find it! Let us know what you get..
Mud.

I have ran jolly Rogers on my 705 and they are nice and comfortable. After I got my ctx I made OBN's skullie and they are great headphones. They use the same speaker that is in the high end detector headphones but with the skullies you have the added comfort and noise dampening as a hearing protection headphones

Just thought I would throw in a word for the Sunray Gold Pro headphones. Have to be some of the finest quality as far as build and sound quality. I have been detecting for 35+ years and started out using a pair swiped from the AV dept of my Jr high school that sounded like a tin can phone. I must say the technology in headphones has grown just as much as that of the detectors out there.

Just thought I would throw in a word for the Sunray Gold Pro headphones. Have to be some of the finest quality as far as build and sound quality. I have been detecting for 35+ years and started out using a pair swiped from the AV dept of my Jr high school that sounded like a tin can phone. I must say the technology in headphones has grown just as much as that of the detectors out there.

Aren't the Sunray's made by the same company as the Killer B's. The Killer B Wasp model seems very similar to the Sunray's. Both have leather ear cups which I'm leaning towards...just wonder how the leather holds up after a year or two of sweat and briars in the woods.

I have ran jolly Rogers on my 705 and they are nice and comfortable. After I got my ctx I made OBN's skullie and they are great headphones. They use the same speaker that is in the high end detector headphones but with the skullies you have the added comfort and noise dampening as a hearing protection headphones

What are OBN skullies?

The new trend is military aviator's headphones converted for civilian use. Rugged, lightweight, very comfortable and excellent sound. I'm currently running these by David Clark...

The new trend is military aviator's headphones converted for civilian use. Rugged, lightweight, very comfortable and excellent sound. I'm currently running these by David Clark...

That's interesting. How much does a setup like that cost?

New, the headphones cost like $300. I got them used for $8 and did the conversion work myself...removed the microphone parts, rewired and soldered in the correct 1/4" end.

I was leaning toward the killer B's just don't want to send that much right now. Went with the Koss QZ99 noise isolating headphones $69.99 with 25% off $55.42. I had a pair of Koss headphones when I first started out back in 93 and loved them. The wire broke at the plug and I was going to try to fix it but the sales woman told me to bring them in for a new set they have a lifetime warranty. Had them in my trunk went back into the store and they replaced them no questions asked. The real difference in headphones is the amount of Ohms they put out.

Ended up getting a used set of Sunray progolds from Craig at showmetreasure.com. Looking forward to trying them.

Back
Top Bottom